Thoughts on the first round of the upcoming draft...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.
Neither of the first round QB's in this draft would have been selected before Josh Rosen last year. Thats a simple fact, they are not as talented at the QB position...murray is good, but the dude is only 5 foot 8...his measurables kill him.

next years draft class is going to have some better choices at the QB position, and the year after that some better choices still.
Considering everything Rosen had to contend with, the kid in all ways deserves another season to show he is the guy.

so right now the right thing to do is "assume" Rosen is the guy and continue to build the team around him. If it should turn out that he is in fact not the guy then we will have better choices at QB over the next couple of drafts than those who are available in 2019

I definitely believe Rosen is the the top quarterback going into next season. He should be given every opportunity to succeed.

Looking at the link above there were four quarterbacks listed in the top 29 prospects. If one is there when the Cardinals pick in the second round or they trade down for more picks I don't think it would be terrible to think about drafting one if it is not a reach.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...emiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-10

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I definitely believe Rosen is the the top quarterback going into next season. He should be given every opportunity to succeed.

Looking at the link above there were four quarterbacks listed in the top 29 prospects. If one is there when the Cardinals pick in the second round or they trade down for more picks I don't think it would be terrible to think about drafting one if it is not a reach.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...emiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-10
I agree basically. I think second round is too early but getting another young guy in here to learn could be a good thing.
not saying none of those guys are worthy of a second round pick...just that we can get better value and fill an important role on the team with that pick at another position. Right now I am eyeing our 33 pick for either a TE or an OT...with an outside chance for a WR...though I think TE and oline offer better value at 33 right now.
I would actually still like to see us try and use 33 to trade back into the first round. That extra year of control for a young guy can be valuable.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you could guarantee me Brian Burns in the 2nd round, I would trade back at #1.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want to understand this. The consensus opinion is not drafting a quarterback.

However, if Rosen doesn't work out is everyone going to be happy going with Glennon and banking the Cardinals can draft a quarterback in 2020.

The Cardinals may not be equally bad in 2019 so they may not be in position to draft one early.

I'm not saying the Cardinals should draft a quarterback with the number 1 pick if the talent is not there but I think we need to keep an open mind about this.

I want to believe the Cardinals have solved their quarterback problem as much as anyone.
What are the various outcomes of our QB situation?

1. Rosen clicks and we have our 10-yr QBOF.

2. Rosen continues to sit on the razor blade between suckdome & stardom.

3. Rosen sucks.

4. Rosen gets badly injured.

5. Rosen does OK, but a late QB draft pick performs like Russell Wilson.

6. We draft a QB #1. He nails it.

7. We draft a QB #1. Tanks it. Cost: A high #1 draft pick.

8. OL not fixed. Do Rosen or another QB suck? Or is it the OL?

All of which is to say that you rolls the dice & takes your chances. As for me: I think it's too early to give up on Rosen and squander a budding Pro Bowl star on another rookie QB. Regardless of whether we successfully or unsuccessfully add another rookie QB...or not, the net-net is one less potential star at another position. I don't like those odds.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm torn on the idea of drafting a QB. On one hand it would be good to hedge their bet on Rosen and maybe have a valuable asset in a year or two similar to what the Pat's have done in years past with guys like garapalo (sp) . On the other hand they really need to spend their picks surrounding Rosen with talent to give him the best opportunity to succeed.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm torn on the idea of drafting a QB. On one hand it would be good to hedge their bet on Rosen and maybe have a valuable asset in a year or two similar to what the Pat's have done in years past with guys like garapalo (sp) . On the other hand they really need to spend their picks surrounding Rosen with talent to give him the best opportunity to succeed.

A mid-late round developmental guy wouldn’t be a bad idea but I wouldn’t draft one before round 4. Developing a long term back up solution isn’t a bad idea however in an ideal scenario it’s a guy you can trade in the future for more picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the various outcomes of our QB situation?

1. Rosen clicks and we have our 10-yr QBOF.

2. Rosen continues to sit on the razor blade between suckdome & stardom.

3. Rosen sucks.

4. Rosen gets badly injured.

5. Rosen does OK, but a late QB draft pick performs like Russell Wilson.

6. We draft a QB #1. He nails it.

7. We draft a QB #1. Tanks it. Cost: A high #1 draft pick.

8. OL not fixed. Do Rosen or another QB suck? Or is it the OL?

All of which is to say that you rolls the dice & takes your chances. As for me: I think it's too early to give up on Rosen and squander a budding Pro Bowl star on another rookie QB. Regardless of whether we successfully or unsuccessfully add another rookie QB...or not, the net-net is one less potential star at another position. I don't like those odds.

Another option is the Cardinals would have two good quarterbacks and they could trade one at a future date for value.

I'd be very hesitant to draft a quarterback with the #1 pick. It would have to be a trade down or a later pick.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to understand this. The consensus opinion is not drafting a quarterback.

However, if Rosen doesn't work out is everyone going to be happy going with Glennon and banking the Cardinals can draft a quarterback in 2020.

The Cardinals may not be equally bad in 2019 so they may not be in position to draft one early.

I'm not saying the Cardinals should draft a quarterback with the number 1 pick if the talent is not there but I think we need to keep an open mind about this.

I want to believe the Cardinals have solved their quarterback problem as much as anyone.
Here’s the skinny. 2K is coming here to develop Rosen. This year along wit Ltd that development we have the cap space to build a solid foundation around him. By this time next yesr we will have a clear picture if Rosen is actually the qbotf or we have to move. We will have another round of free agency in 2020. If Rosen sucks it will mean a losing season and a reasonably high draft pick. We may be the team next year to give up a Kings ransom to get the qb we desire. The team surrounding him ( or Rosen) should be rock solid by then or Keim should be gone.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree. If KK can truly develop QB's like we think he can...you draft one (the right one), develop them, and have them as either insurance or draft capital.

I wouldn't take one early though.
I’m not taking one period this year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the skinny. 2K is coming here to develop Rosen. This year along wit Ltd that development we have the cap space to build a solid foundation around him. By this time next yesr we will have a clear picture if Rosen is actually the qbotf or we have to move. We will have another round of free agency in 2020. If Rosen sucks it will mean a losing season and a reasonably high draft pick. We may be the team next year to give up a Kings ransom to get the qb we desire. The team surrounding him ( or Rosen) should be rock solid by then or Keim should be gone.

This is exactly what I was trying to avoid... paying a ransom if Rosen shouldn't develop.

I'm going to let Keim and Kingsbury worry about it so I can enjoy the draft. LOL

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’m not taking one period this year.

I tend to agree. I think with Rosen and Kanoff, you have two young QB prospects already on the roster. 2020 draft? That might be the spot. By that point in time, Rosen should be settled into the starting job and Kanoff should be his top backup.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I tend to agree. I think with Rosen and Kanoff, you have two young QB prospects already on the roster. 2020 draft? That might be the spot. By that point in time, Rosen should be settled into the starting job and Kanoff should be his top backup.
what has kanoff showed to be considered a back up?
this is a kind of mitch evaluation about UDFA and their potential

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
what has kanoff showed to be considered a back up?
this is a kind of mitch evaluation about UDFA and their potential

He looks looked pretty solid in the preseason. I'd rather not pay premium money on a back up QB unless the team is a serious Super Bowl contender.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Absolutely true which is why I think he would be a better complement to Jones as Jones is a more set-up/counter pass rusher vs a pure speed threat off the edge.

I like a trade down and drafting Montez Sweat over Brian Burns. He's bendy, fast, and has better size than Burns. His motor is pretty good, and I doubt he busts in the NFL. I also really like Jeffery Simmons from Mississippi State as well. Dude is a beast; could be a good fit as a 3-4 DE.

I'm of the opinion that a trade down should be considered. I love Bosa, but there are legitimately 10 guys that the Cardinals could take in the first round that would help them next year. This draft is absolutely LOADED with DL/edge rushers. I would love a trade down to like 6 or 7, add a 2nd rounder this year, and a 1st and a 2nd next year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like a trade down and drafting Montez Sweat over Brian Burns. He's bendy, fast, and has better size than Burns. His motor is pretty good, and I doubt he busts in the NFL. I also really like Jeffery Simmons from Mississippi State as well. Dude is a beast; could be a good fit as a 3-4 DE.

I'm of the opinion that a trade down should be considered. I love Bosa, but there are legitimately 10 guys that the Cardinals could take in the first round that would help them next year. This draft is absolutely LOADED with DL/edge rushers. I would love a trade down to like 6 or 7, add a 2nd rounder this year, and a 1st and a 2nd next year.
The thing about Sweat is that he doesn’t have any bend...like at all. I’m surprised you says he’s more bendy than Burns. I think Burns absolutely smokes him in that department. I don’t think he’s faster, either. Yes, Sweat does have better size. No doubt. Burns’ handwork is better than Sweat’s though. He has the 2nd best hands after Bosa in this class.

I like Burns a lot more than Josh Allen despite Allen getting more hype.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson