There isn't going to be a season

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You folks who are in the "season starts in 5 months, they will find a way" camp dont seem to be taking practice time and training camps into account?

They need a good 2-3 months to practice, install playbooks, get in shape, do some sort of pre-season, etc.

So to be on track to play real games in 5 months, they need to start in-person activities by June/July at the latest. We don't know if that will be possible in all states. And of course any changes to the off-season program will need to be negotiated with the players association, who may not agree to a shortened OTA and training camp schedule for player safety reasons.

There are a lot of obstacles to overcome.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You folks who are in the "season starts in 5 months, they will find a way" camp dont seem to be taking practice time and training camps into account?

They need a good 2-3 months to practice, install playbooks, get in shape, do some sort of pre-season, etc.

So to be on track to play real games in 5 months, they need to start in-person activities by June/July at the latest. We don't know if that will be possible in all states. And of course any changes to the off-season program will need to be negotiated with the players association, who may not agree to a shortened OTA and training camp schedule for player safety reasons.

IMO They will condense Training Camp and Preseason into a single short month. It will be all Virtual up until the come back together as a team.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Not currently for or against it at this point (not enough information). I certainly want to see the Cardinals play (safely).

However, what if you are set to play that week and your starting QB gets Covid?

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not currently for or against it at this point (not enough information). I certainly want to see the Cardinals play (safely).

However, what if you are set to play that week and your starting QB gets Covid?

Pretty huge question that they will need to solve, because a COVID infection is going to keep somebody out for weeks, until they test negative for the virus twice, even if they never had symptoms. An outbreak in a locker room could keep multiple players out for extended times.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I disagree. If you look at the CBA and add up the maximum amount of time/hours they even allowed to practice, it is not that much.

They do not NEED to have OTA's and all that crap that is optional anyway.

They need training camp to a degree, but the players that it will hurt the most are young/fringe guys trying to make a team. Established NFL players will be fine with a month of prep.

I think they will bring teams into a "training camp bubble" in August...with testing in place possibly daily. They will not allow the public into practices etc, and I would guess preseason games will be played without fans. Once regular season games are scheduled to start, I am not sure if fans will be allowed in or not, I could see it going either way.

I could also see the NFL being proactive and having something like a flexible 2nd bye week that could be used if a game needs to be postponed or something?

The one thing I know for sure is that if there are ANY sports in 2020, it is going to be NFL Football. If they can't figure it out, it means that sports are gone 12+ months, which I think seems excessive at this point.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I disagree. If you look at the CBA and add up the maximum amount of time/hours they even allowed to practice, it is not that much.

They do not NEED to have OTA's and all that crap that is optional anyway.

They need training camp to a degree, but the players that it will hurt the most are young/fringe guys trying to make a team. Established NFL players will be fine with a month of prep.

I think they will bring teams into a "training camp bubble" in August...with testing in place possibly daily. They will not allow the public into practices etc, and I would guess preseason games will be played without fans. Once regular season games are scheduled to start, I am not sure if fans will be allowed in or not, I could see it going either way.

I could also see the NFL being proactive and having something like a flexible 2nd bye week that could be used if a game needs to be postponed or something?

The one thing I know for sure is that if there are ANY sports in 2020, it is going to be NFL Football. If they can't figure it out, it means that sports are gone 12+ months, which I think seems excessive at this point.

Logistically, it's much more likely that the NBA can play games this year than the NFL, since the entire league can be quarantined inside a hotel with a basketball court in Las Vegas.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Logistically, it's much more likely that the NBA can play games this year than the NFL, since the entire league can be quarantined inside a hotel with a basketball court in Las Vegas.

If they go down the route of creating a "biodome"...they can do it with any sport. The problem with any of these plans comes in when you say, "what happens if you get a positive case"...does the whole thing shut down? Is it just a couple of players that are impacted, or does an entire team get taken out of competition? They would have to have a lot of contingency plans in place, but thats my entire point. I think they will absolutely have a plan in place and give it a shot. If its a failure so be it, but I don't think there is ANY way the NFL loses an entire season when we are still 5 months from it even starting.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let's say you test all the players, coaches, etc. before the game. What do you do if the head coach or starting QB tests positive ? What if several players test positive? What if a player tests positive on one team and not the other? Too many possibilities
What happens if that happens the following season? Life can’t stop.

Rain Man

Rookie
Reaction score
Thanks Dr Oz

I think a lot of people have already had it. I'm not saying you can't get it again but this is a big deal for the elderly.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Yay another Covid thread, it's getting close to the Rosen vs Kyler threads

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It’s not an either/or. Both will play.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard