Theory on Murray

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just watched a show on ESPN where they said that as many as six College QB's could go in the first round of next year's Draft. So that sorta strengthens the argument of Kyler leaving. Or maybe not.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Just watched a show on ESPN where they said that as many as six College QB's could go in the first round of next year's Draft. So that sorta strengthens the argument of Kyler leaving. Or maybe not.
It weakens it, IMO, or at least reduces any compensation expectations...a QB needy team (Patriots) likely won't need to trade way up to get someone.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It weakens it, IMO, or at least reduces any compensation expectations...a QB needy team (Patriots) likely won't need to trade way up to get someone.
But it is also possible that a QB needy team misses out on the one or two guys they want, and find Kyler behind Door #3. Bottom line, DO NOT MISS next year's Draft.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It’s a good thing for trading down regardless of whether we are moving on from kyler.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
But it is also possible that a QB needy team misses out on the one or two guys they want, and find Kyler behind Door #3. Bottom line, DO NOT MISS next year's Draft.
If there are 6 draftable 1st round QBs, it's door #7, right? I think the chances a team selects one of those QBs is higher than trading for Murray, simply due to contract and control. If they want Murray, they definitely won't want to, or need to, use a 1st rounder for him.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only thing that matters about moving on from Kyler is how he plays this season. I am sick of the speculation without seeing his performance under this new coaching staff.
It’ll be based on the teams thoughts on an ideal QB for their offensive scheme and possibly Kyler’s contract if they feel it hinders the team moving forward.

I don’t think Kyler’s performance good or bad has a lot of weight in their decision.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’ll be based on the teams thoughts on an ideal QB for their offensive scheme and possibly Kyler’s contract if they feel it hinders the team moving forward.

I don’t think Kyler’s performance good or bad has a lot of weight in their decision.
That is a silly statement. If we win with Kyler and play well, they will gladly pay him his contract and look to fill other positions in the draft.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

That is a silly statement. If we win with Kyler and play well, they will gladly pay him his contract and look to fill other positions in the draft.
Everything you hear from this group is they value process over results. Kingsbury valued results and trusted the players to find the process to get them there.

Kyler’s fundamentals in the drop back and footwork are kind of a mess. He’s not a timing passer. It sure seems like Petzing runs a timing offense.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Everything you hear from this group is they value process over results. Kingsbury valued results and trusted the players to find the process to get them there.

Kyler’s fundamentals in the drop back and footwork are kind of a mess. He’s not a timing passer. It sure seems like Petzing runs a timing offense.
I concur....I will say, though, that even Mayfield (healthy) had some success in this offense and I think it's been mentioned that Kyler is probably a few notches above him...so that may bode well for Murray to get right with this offense.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If there are 6 draftable 1st round QBs, it's door #7, right? I think the chances a team selects one of those QBs is higher than trading for Murray, simply due to contract and control. If they want Murray, they definitely won't want to, or need to, use a 1st rounder for him.
NE, imo, doesn't want to take another Mac Jones in the 1st round. And I think that most QB needy teams just have one or two that they like and might think that a QB already in the League might be a better option, even with a big contract. And especially if Az is willing to pick up some of the cost.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It's so funny how many Kyler fans there are on this board now.

Rewind to last year and 80% of people didn't see any positives. Even before that, the majority of the board didn't want to extend Murray.

An ACL later, he is our franchise QB we should try to build around?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's so funny how many Kyler fans there are on this board now.

Rewind to last year and 80% of people didn't see any positives. Even before that, the majority of the board didn't want to extend Murray.

An ACL later, he is our franchise QB we should try to build around?
it's only that way because that's what the organization is pushing. the second he struggles and we start hearing the mouth of Sauron bashing him and he's out the door, everyone of those posters will turn on him, like clockwork.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
He is not listed on the USC coaches roster as a QB coach
None of the coaches are listed on their website with QBs specifically, but other outlets mention it....also, this blurb from the school site has Williams commenting about learning from him....and this CBS article with quotes from Riley when Kliff was hired.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
However on game day an analyst cannot interact directly with players so yes he is working with the QBs but is limited by rules what he can do.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
However on game day an analyst cannot interact directly with players so yes he is working with the QBs but is limited by rules what he can do.
Then nobody can, right? Since no coaches are listed as QB coach?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not that much.

You can't cut Kyler Murray. You can trade him though. Trade him next offseason and you take on $46 million+ in dead money, but if you're taking a rookie QB you intend to play, you can still field a team.

Especially if you cut Budda, Ertz, and Connor.
Kyler just turned 26... Williams 22 and Maye 21.

One season eating a legendary cap hit would suck...but if this past draft works out we wouldn't be too far behind with a QB on a rookie deal.
Mobile quarterbacks rarely have long careers...

So, we don't take the hit and we get maybe another 5 or 6 years with a guy who still hasn't proven he is the one.
Or, we take the hit ...draft Maye...and give a fresh guy a chance to prove he is the one.... But have him for likely 15 years if he is.

By my math, there has to be a perfect storm for Kyler to remain . I'm neither for nor against but it would be dishonest to say I have faith or trust in a guy whose crowning achievement was one half of an MVP season in which he routinely left plays on the field.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Disagree. Kyler, while not endearing himself to anyone has proven he can play in the NFL...none of the guys in the draft have.

Plus he is still under 30. Tenured coaches feeling some heat would much rather bet on a known commodity than gamble on an unproven rookie.

Some really great QB prospects have flamed out simply because the game didn't slow down for them when they got to the pros

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson