The Walking Dead (AMC)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where was that implied? Couldn't she have basically turned and lost the legs AFTER she turned? Not saying you're wrong, just curious why/how you assumed her legs being cut off happened before turning.
I don't know. That's just what I thought. For whatever reason it hadn't occurred to me she lost them after she turned. :shrug:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't know. That's just what I thought. For whatever reason it hadn't occurred to me she lost them after she turned. :shrug:

The reason I ask is that I don't think we've seen a live person get killed by a walker and then wake up as a walker later. I was under the impression that this wasn't a vampiric thing where a live person has to die first, but more of a 28 Days Later thing where it's really a virus. So if the sister hadn't died from the wounds, THEN she would have become a walker. But since she actually died, she won't. The reason I like this theory is because of the way they handled her death in the last episode. She died, but nobody was ready to burn her body or cut off her head or anything in fear that she would rise up.

Keep in mind also, that the last episode was written and directed by the writer of the comics, so as far as canon goes, that might be the ultimate episode.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask is that I don't think we've seen a live person get killed by a walker and then wake up as a walker later. I was under the impression that this wasn't a vampiric thing where a live person has to die first, but more of a 28 Days Later thing where it's really a virus. So if the sister hadn't died from the wounds, THEN she would have become a walker. But since she actually died, she won't. The reason I like this theory is because of the way they handled her death in the last episode. She died, but nobody was ready to burn her body or cut off her head or anything in fear that she would rise up.
sure. I could buy that.

Keep in mind also, that the last episode was written and directed by the writer of the comics, so as far as canon goes, that might be the ultimate episode.
Yup. Kirkman is one helluva story teller, too. Somewhat formulaic in the way he tells them (for example, his "Fear Agent" comic book follows much of the same beats--guys loses his family to catastrophe, wanders around looking cool and stumbles upon them), but they're riveting.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you didn't answer the question either.

The show is good, but not great--the writing leaves a lot to be desired and you can see a definite difference in the directing from the pilot (Darabont's episode) and the other 3.

i actually think the show is pretty great.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually agree with Chap. I think it's really good, but not (yet) great.

It's visually awesome, though. And I'm not even referring to the zombies (which are amazingly done). Man, the scene where he rides into the seemingly abandoned city with all the guns strapped to his back? Incredible.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I'm actually pretty surprised by this, since you are a writer. Visually the show is great, but the characters are awful. Really, only Rick and Glenn are more than simple stereotypes and cliches. Not to mention the acting ability of 75% of the cast is average at best.

It's got a lot of potential, but right now, what makes it different from any other zombie apocalypse movie? There isn't much to stand apart yet. Hoping it will eventually, but right now it's pretty cliched, no matter how good it looks. But then again, the comics were pretty standard as well--they are more character-centric than zombie-centric, which the show is still trying to do, but that zombie attack from the other night, while cool, just seemed forced considering they appeared to be in a good spot and had no real problems, then all of a sudden they are attacked by an army of zombies. Felt like the writer was told that the hour needed some zombie violence and he put it in there, no matter how nonsensical it was.

The problem with the show is that if and when they do go character-centric, those characters are too weak and poorly written to stand up. Part of that may be because of the introduction of so many characters that weren't in the graphic novel--they effectively doubled the number of characters. Killing some of them off is the right move, and certainly still optimistic that it will improve.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that zombie attack was bizarre considering they previously only had one walker come that far. I was waiting for a reveal that Merle had somehow loaded up the moving truck with zombies (or led them by making noise) to extract revenge on the camp. Something...anything like that to explain it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that zombie attack was bizarre considering they previously only had one walker come that far. I was waiting for a reveal that Merle had somehow loaded up the moving truck with zombies (or led them by making noise) to extract revenge on the camp. Something...anything like that to explain it.

That was our first guess. My wife and I expected to see him hovering nearby watching the zombie feeding frenzy and were surprised when it didn't happen.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually pretty surprised by this, since you are a writer. Visually the show is great, but the characters are awful. Really, only Rick and Glenn are more than simple stereotypes and cliches. Not to mention the acting ability of 75% of the cast is average at best.

It's got a lot of potential, but right now, what makes it different from any other zombie apocalypse movie? There isn't much to stand apart yet. Hoping it will eventually, but right now it's pretty cliched, no matter how good it looks. But then again, the comics were pretty standard as well--they are more character-centric than zombie-centric, which the show is still trying to do, but that zombie attack from the other night, while cool, just seemed forced considering they appeared to be in a good spot and had no real problems, then all of a sudden they are attacked by an army of zombies. Felt like the writer was told that the hour needed some zombie violence and he put it in there, no matter how nonsensical it was.

The problem with the show is that if and when they do go character-centric, those characters are too weak and poorly written to stand up. Part of that may be because of the introduction of so many characters that weren't in the graphic novel--they effectively doubled the number of characters. Killing some of them off is the right move, and certainly still optimistic that it will improve.

I agree that the attack seemed a bit contrived. We're supposed to believe the camp decided to forego vigilance the very same night the zombies developed the ability to go into stealth mode? And even if the Walkers all of a sudden remembered their ninja training, why didn't anyone smell them as they approached the camp.

But like people have said, it's a freaking zombie apocalypse - who needs realism when you've got zombies.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But like people have said, it's a freaking zombie apocalypse - who needs realism when you've got zombies.

Steve

True that, but we've seen zombies since 1968 and I think it'd be nice to see something a little more than "just zombies". That's what I've been hoping for with this show because the comics concentrated on humans hurting humans rather than zombies hurting humans. The zombies in the comic are simply a framing for the real story--how does a small group of people survive in an apocalypse? I guess I'm hoping for Jericho with zombies. :D (For those that have seen Jericho--not many--you'll understand)

I think that's why Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead were so successful--they weren't your run-of-the-mill horror movies. Heck, even though it wasn't technically "zombies", 28 Days Later eventually became a human-vs-human movie rather than a zombie film.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True that, but we've seen zombies since 1968 and I think it'd be nice to see something a little more than "just zombies". That's what I've been hoping for with this show because the comics concentrated on humans hurting humans rather than zombies hurting humans. The zombies in the comic are simply a framing for the real story--how does a small group of people survive in an apocalypse? I guess I'm hoping for Jericho with zombies. :D (For those that have seen Jericho--not many--you'll understand)

I'm one of the few that gave Jericho a fair chance but I'm actually hoping for a little less soap opera in Walking Dead. I stayed with it to the end (and enjoyed it) but after the first season I found myself only truly enjoying the episodes that centered around Robert Hawkins (Lennie James). Probably, in part at least, because I've never cared for Skeet Ulrich. Fortunately, Walking Dead seems to have drawn initial interest on a level that Jericho never did so maybe it will have a better fate.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm one of the few that gave Jericho a fair chance but I'm actually hoping for a little less soap opera in Walking Dead. I stayed with it to the end (and enjoyed it) but after the first season I found myself only truly enjoying the episodes that centered around Robert Hawkins (Lennie James). Probably, in part at least, because I've never cared for Skeet Ulrich. Fortunately, Walking Dead seems to have drawn initial interest on a level that Jericho never did so maybe it will have a better fate.

Steve

Walking Dead was from an established comic, while Jericho was a poorly marketed original project. Funny in today's climate, the original show is panned more than the adaptation.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Walking Dead seems to have drawn initial interest on a level that Jericho never did so maybe it will have a better fate.

Just think of all the possible spin-offs: The Walking Dead: Los Angeles, The Walking Dead: New York, The Walking Dead: Vegas, The Walking Dead: Miami, ...you get the idea. :D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just think of all the possible spin-offs: The Walking Dead: Los Angeles, The Walking Dead: New York, The Walking Dead: Vegas, The Walking Dead: Miami, ...you get the idea. :D

I can see the ads now. This fall, zombies, coming slowly, to a town near you.

Steve

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can see it now.

Attachments

• 2409397293_27f4b619ab.jpg
    2409397293_27f4b619ab.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 148

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I thought the attack was kind of weird but one thing that may have happened is when the group finally made it out of Atlanta, Glenn drove in the car with the alarm on the entire way up to camp. They did say that the walkers are attracted to sound. I'm not saying I agree with the attack but that is the reasoning I can see. Hopefully it is discussed in next weeks episode.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Wasn't the best episode, but kinda cool to watch the transition from the sticks to the big city again. The area around the CDC was creepy. Well done.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hmmm... i just disagree on pretty much all of the above.

one of my favorite moments in all of TV this past season wasn't overly written or flashy. It was a simple: "Jesus." That and the look on the bearded guy's face after was priceless.

I like it... i like it a lot and don't feel like it's all that cliche.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I need an explanation how the geeks function. I think they are slowly feeding it to us but I would like to know more now! :)

It seems there are dead and walking dead

Supposedly they are dormant during the day but then we see some geeks moving around just fine. Maybe it has to do with feeding? IDN

Pariah was correct as seen by the sister dieing

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I need an explanation how the geeks function. I think they are slowly feeding it to us but I would like to know more now! :)

It seems there are dead and walking dead

Supposedly they are dormant during the day but then we see some geeks moving around just fine. Maybe it has to do with feeding? IDN

Pariah was correct as seen by the sister dieing
But the sister came back.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson