The Walking Dead (AMC)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes, if your only credit before Walking Dead is Young Indiana Jones, you need all the help you can get. Bad move.

the guy wrote Nightmare On Elm Street 3 (the best of the series), wrote and directed Shawshank, Green Mile and The Mist, among others. Young Indiana is his only writing credit.

that being said, this is a very strange move... although, like the article said, Frank's written 2 of the 6 and the comic creator wrote another one, so it won't be that much of a change over... but yeah, it's surprising.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the guy wrote Nightmare On Elm Street 3 (the best of the series), wrote and directed Shawshank, Green Mile and The Mist, among others. Young Indiana is his only writing credit.

that being said, this is a very strange move... although, like the article said, Frank's written 2 of the 6 and the comic creator wrote another one, so it won't be that much of a change over... but yeah, it's surprising.

I think you should apply for the freelance part? :)

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Strange. But they're right, the Guild has got to be nuts over this.

Nope. The WGA has always been supportive of the idea of freelance writers. In fact, most production signatories agree to the WGA guildline towards providing a number of freelance writers per season, that were not employed as staff writers the previous season. Freelance is not a synonym for non-union.

Now, if WGA member writers were let go improperly, according to their contract, or if the freelance writers will be pressured to accept compensation below WGA standards... nuts over this would then be right.

The series is intriguing but the writing has been amateur-bad at many moments. The dialog has gone from cheesy to laughable, and the only characters that haven't been one dimensional, were the gang-banging/geriatric-hospice providers. I will watch anything with zombies in it, but this show is testing my limits. New writers could be the neccessary injection.

However, it is difficult to imagine how a seasonal plot arc can be successfully achieved with only freelance writers. Not impossible, but difficult.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The series is intriguing but the writing has been amateur-bad at many moments. The dialog has gone from cheesy to laughable, and the only characters that haven't been one dimensional, were the gang-banging/geriatric-hospice providers. I will watch anything with zombies in it, but this show is testing my limits. New writers could be the neccessary injection.

Exactly.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gave this thing a fair shake and it's lost on me, I guess. Watched the last few episodes back to back on Zune season ticket. I have to agree with the dialogue criticism. I think a danger writing for this show is going in thinking you're writing camp when you really need to be thinking less about zombies and more about humans. I'm not sure every writer on the staff "gets it." Darabont writes in tight, easily delivered lines with lots of space to breathe and pontificate. That's the style you need for a show like this. Tell more story with the camera. Don't fill up the page with dialogue.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Not going to read through this thread, as I just now watched the first episode.

One word, AWESOME.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still watch the show, but I agree with the criticism. I guess I sort of expected that, given the subject matter. A zombie-overrun world doesn't exactly lend itself very well to a deep character study. It could in theory, but I don't think that's what the creators were going for here.

What this show did was make me wish that we had a really good and serious post-apocalyptic tv show. One without zombies or anything supernatural.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I still watch the show, but I agree with the criticism. I guess I sort of expected that, given the subject matter. A zombie-overrun world doesn't exactly lend itself very well to a deep character study. It could in theory, but I don't think that's what the creators were going for here.

What this show did was make me wish that we had a really good and serious post-apocalyptic tv show. One without zombies or anything supernatural.

Like this?

You must be registered for see images

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been waiting a long time for them to really put something together like this. Jericho is about as close as they've come but it wasn't all that apocalyptic. I'd like to see them take one of the trashy adventure series of books and turn them into a quality series. Something like Jerry Ahern's Survivalist series or William Johnstone's Ashes series. Or maybe even the Deathland series, or at least that world.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't like Jericho at all, although I only watched the first few episodes. It's not quite what I have in mind.

Jericho improved throughout it's run but it never really had much of a post-apocalyptic feel to it, IMO. By the end, it was actually a pretty good show and at least they allowed them to bring it to a conclusion, hurried though it was. Walking Dead has the PA feel that I'm looking for and I am enjoying it but I'd also prefer a non-zombie rendition.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing from no one on that finale?! Holy cow.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing from no one on that finale?! Holy cow.

Well, I for one was very unimpressed by the finale. I don't like to nitpick a show but their lame attacks on the door and then again on the glass was embarrassing. Nobody is that stupid. Here, move aside mister axe while I bang on the window with this nifty metal chair.

To me, the episode felt like one of the boring mid-season filler episodes that we often have to sit through and it's disappointing that they couldn't give us more than that for a season ender. No surprises, no reveals and no action - no wonder this thread is quiet.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I also was unimpressed. Probably the worst written episode. Still had some interesting things, but it felt completely different because of the high-tech nature of the episode. And not a lot of zombie action.

Why would they all be standing there dumbfounded as the Doctor went through how the virus works? I mean, they've actually seen it happen, so it shouldn't have been that big of a surprise, right?

And if I was the black woman, I'd be pretty pissed. Everybody was more than willing to leave her, but the old man decides to stay for the pretty white woman? ;)

And did no one find it funny that after hitting the window with an axe and it not breaking, the next logical thing to use is... a chair? Come on now. LOL And Norman Reedus continuing to hit the blast door with an axe that didn't make a dent. Laughable.

And for a building that has so little power left, they sure had a ton of things on. Wouldn't it save power if the Doctor did his explanation on a computer screen and not some big 150-foot screen??

The flashback opening was definitely the best part of the episode. I was hoping they'd do more flashbacks.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I like how they touched on Shane's dealing with loss by acting as if the old rules no longer applied and Noah Emmerich's character trying to justify an absence of hope. When I heard this show was going to focus more on the interaction of people surviving an apocalypse and not zombie attacks, I was hoping for more of these scenes.

I expected a goofy Macgyver solution to getting out of the outer doors, or maybe a Bruce Willis in "Armegeddon" sacrifice. Instead, they gave us a character, who outlasted their usefullness 3 episodes ago, that just happened to be casually carring around the one thing they needed in her handbag. Ridiculously weak.

This episode also made me realize the guest performances of Noah Emmerich, Michael Rooker and Lennie James are miles ahead of the other actors. The whispering-in-the-ear trick hooked me for the start of the next season, but unless it improves, the show has gone from "must watch" to being recorded for later viewing.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I also was unimpressed. Probably the worst written episode. Still had some interesting things, but it felt completely different because of the high-tech nature of the episode. And not a lot of zombie action.

I actually liked this episode in that it was more about the survivors and less about the zombie action.

Why would they all be standing there dumbfounded as the Doctor went through how the virus works? I mean, they've actually seen it happen, so it shouldn't have been that big of a surprise, right?

Maybe the reality of the situation finally hitting them or that when they become zombified that they lose all matter of humanity. Could have been portrayed better.

And did no one find it funny that after hitting the window with an axe and it not breaking, the next logical thing to use is... a chair? Come on now. LOL And Norman Reedus continuing to hit the blast door with an axe that didn't make a dent. Laughable.

As funny as it sounds I didn't have a problem with this is a way. In PANIC situations, common sense goes out the window. It just becomes a matter of trying to survive and not everybody thinks things through in those situations.

What would have been better is if they made it look like one of the characters grabbed the axe so hard that their hands bled and proceeded to wale on the wall until exhaustion. Now that's panic.

Although I will agree having the grenade handy was pretty bad. If they had run to her room that would have made it a bit better.

And for a building that has so little power left, they sure had a ton of things on. Wouldn't it save power if the Doctor did his explanation on a computer screen and not some big 150-foot screen??

True but it wouldn't look good on screen to have everyone gather around a tiny monitor either.

Besides are we really talking about realism in a show about a zombie apocalypse? LOL

The flashback opening was definitely the best part of the episode. I was hoping they'd do more flashbacks.

Agreed, these have actually been well done thus far.

I've enjoyed the show thus far. There's room for improvement but I still say its better than a lot of whats on TV now.

I'm still disappointed that I didn't see any scenes with Frank West running over zombies with a lawnmower but hey there's always next season. :D

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually liked this episode in that it was more about the survivors and less about the zombie action.

Maybe the reality of the situation finally hitting them or that when they become zombified that they lose all matter of humanity. Could have been portrayed better.

As funny as it sounds I didn't have a problem with this is a way. In PANIC situations, common sense goes out the window. It just becomes a matter of trying to survive and not everybody thinks things through in those situations.

What would have been better is if they made it look like one of the characters grabbed the axe so hard that their hands bled and proceeded to wale on the wall until exhaustion. Now that's panic.

Although I will agree having the grenade handy was pretty bad. If they had run to her room that would have made it a bit better.

True but it wouldn't look good on screen to have everyone gather around a tiny monitor either.

Besides are we really talking about realism in a show about a zombie apocalypse? LOL

Agreed, these have actually been well done thus far.

I've enjoyed the show thus far. There's room for improvement but I still say its better than a lot of whats on TV now.

I'm still disappointed that I didn't see any scenes with Frank West running over zombies with a lawnmower but hey there's always next season. :D

agreed with pretty much all of the above.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That part didn't bother me. In fact, if I ever get stuck in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, I intend to have women follow me around with grenades. I wouldn't trust the children with grenades so I'll load them up with clips.

I haven't decided if I'll be in the middle of this group or if I'll just do my best Harold Ramis impression and be behind them every step of the way. I'm going to have to think about that one. No way am I going to be caught unaware by the upcoming zombie apocalypse.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Even though they were eventually let in, wouldn't the grenade have been useful when they first got to the CDC and the doors wouldn't open? They (especially Rick) were going nuts when the doors wouldn't open.

Even though the explosion was poor CGI, at least it was exciting, although I don't get how every window in the building was blown out yet all the cars' windows managed to stay intact. And hiding behind a barrier of sandbags while an entire building blows up no 50 yards away? LOL

Just poor writing. Very disappointing because it still has a lot of potential--it's no wonder they are replacing all the writers.

I can't believe you wrote that. If the difference is between gathering around a computer monitor vs. surviving a little longer from a zombie apocalypse... well, I know what I'd pick. :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Here's an interesting rant on the finale. And some surprising research he supposedly did on the CDC's containment procedures:

Originally Posted by Renn Brown
"Computer: Tell me what that scary ominous thing the scientist just said means. Extra dispassion please.

"How about that science lesson seemingly designed to kill any chance for the show to play with the idea of zombies retaining shadows of who they were? That wouldn't be an original idea of course, but it's possible for a long-form TV show to do something new with it. Little chance of that now, or if there is, an entire segment of the big finale will be rendered moot at some point.

And then the dumb bomb. Forget the big ticking timer, forget the weird timing of the Doctor letting them in a mere two days before it all blows, forget the return of the grenade that Rick left in his pants, forget the videogame cut-scene explosion that Dale and Andrea listlessly climb out of the window to escape. Instead lets just ponder for a moment, that one of the most sophisticated research facilities in the world, a joint designed specifically to deal with crisis situations, is rigged to literally EXPLODE when it loses backup power. No logical system like a facility-wide coating of antiseptic foam, or even an incendiary event that would destroy the disease inventory and any oxygen- but rather a big bomb that is literally going to explode the building, and cause a collapse to bury the labs. As if a dozen feet of broken up rubble is going to seal off the burnt up diseases better than the intact building itself, which was specifically engineered to keep these pathogens contained and withstand any kind of attack.

So here's the thing… I figured if I kept up this criticism that an exploding CDC demonstrates kid's show logic at best, then sooner or later someone was going to pull out some research showing that yes, the CDC does in fact have a explosive system in place in the event of a catastrophic emergency.

So I called 'em up!

Expecting little, I actually got to speak with a media relations person that put me in contact with someone within the facility. It's a bummer because if I had known it was going to be so easy, I would have prepared a more thorough batch of questions and actually recorded it. Since I wasn't prepared to launch a full interview, and I wasn't going to waste a presumable doctor or scientist's time with questions about a TV show, I only asked a question or two. Essentially I described the scenario of the show to Chris (if I caught his name correctly- connection was terrible), who knew the show was featuring the facility, but hadn't seen it. When I told him about the emergency system in the show, he chuckled a good bit. He did emphasize that the CDC is stocked with full backup generators, and though he wouldn't get into detail, kind of implied the place could be indefinitely self-sufficient. He also assured me that though there were mass sterilization procedures, there was nothing resembling a "self-destruct" sequence for the building.

Now before I catch too much **** for some research that was more for a laugh than actual criticism of a zombie show... Yes, of course the show didn't stick with reality, and of course it has no responsibility to do so. Calling the CDC was something I did on a whim (and to make sure my criticism wasn't completely pulled out of my ass), but the implication is not that the show had to stick with perfect reality to be good. Disclaimer aside though, the leaps in logic they did choose to take are Lazy with a capital L, and should have been eye-rolled straight out of the second draft.

This is comic book or video-game level writing. It's lazy and bad, and it assumes the viewer has a brain as blacked-out as TS-19's. I really don't mean to insult those who are enjoying the show without reservations. Zombie-lore isn't a genre I'm very passionate about though, so I know I'm not giving the show the benefit of the doubt at all times. I have undoubtedly watched and enjoyed some silly shows, but at this level of plot-apologizing I expect to be watching a half-hour superhero cartoon, not something backed by a healthy budget, a pedigree filmmaker, and massive ratings.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting rant on the finale. And some surprising research he supposedly did on the CDC's containment procedures:

people take TV too seriously... and this is coming from someone who WRITES for it!