The Think System

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If you’re a fan of the musical The Music Man you might recognize this reference. Harold Hill, the title character, was a fraud. He sold musical instruments to boys, but he couldn’t read music. So Hill told them just to think of the tune and try to play it. It didn’t sound very melodic.

Now the Cards have chosen Dobbs as their starting QB. He has a history of being inaccurate with his throws. As best I can tell he was chosen because he is smart and knows the offense. Never mind he’s had several chances previously with no pattern of success. He’s a decent, but not special athlete. No one questions his dedication, just his ability. My question is what’s the best case scenario of his future. As far as I can tell, his optimum projection is NFL backup.

So why do I prefer Tune? I’m not certain he’s smarter than Dobbs. However, in the end football is a game. Bradshaw wasn’t overly smart, but he made winning plays. He wasn’t intimidated. From what I’ve seen Tune has more potential than Dobbs to be a starter. He’s not a sure thing, but he’s got a big arm, plenty of athletic ability and he has does fear failure. Once Murray is well he will understandably get all the reps. Dobbs will be content to be a backup and draw a check.

Tune won’t be content to be third string. He’ll get his chance with someone. Maybe he’ll succeed or maybe not. The Cards have a long history of letting talent escape. They’ll settle for the surer thing. That’s Dobbs. Now should be Tune’s time. There may not be another. In the future someone else will be the priority. If the Cards had something to lose, I‘d be more accepting of the Dobbs decision. As it stands they’ve made their decision. This season is going nowhere. That said, a few instances of player development will be present. The Cards missed this one IMO. Let’s hope they don’t miss the rest.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re a fan of the musical The Music Man you might recognize this reference. Harold Hill, the title character, was a fraud. He sold musical instruments to boys, but he couldn’t read music. So Hill told them just to think of the tune and try to play it. It didn’t sound very melodic.

Now the Cards have chosen Dobbs as their starting QB. He has a history of being inaccurate with his throws. As best I can tell he was chosen because he is smart and knows the offense. Never mind he’s had several chances previously with no pattern of success. He’s a decent, but not special athlete. No one questions his dedication, just his ability. My question is what’s the best case scenario of his future. As far as I can tell, his optimum projection is NFL backup.

So why do I prefer Tune? I’m not certain he’s smarter than Dobbs. However, in the end football is a game. Bradshaw wasn’t overly smart, but he made winning plays. He wasn’t intimidated. From what I’ve seen Tune has more potential than Dobbs to be a starter. He’s not a sure thing, but he’s got a big arm, plenty of athletic ability and he has does fear failure. Once Murray is well he will understandably get all the reps. Dobbs will be content to be a backup and draw a check.

Tune won’t be content to be third string. He’ll get his chance with someone. Maybe he’ll succeed or maybe not. The Cards have a long history of letting talent escape. They’ll settle for the surer thing. That’s Dobbs. Now should be Tune’s time. There may not be another. In the future someone else will be the priority. If the Cards had something to lose, I‘d be more accepting of the Dobbs decision. As it stands they’ve made their decision. This season is going nowhere. That said, a few instances of player development will be present. The Cards missed this one IMO. Let’s hope they don’t miss the rest.
You expect a rookie to cause enough trouble to force a trade?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see what the fuss is about with a fifth round rookie QB. Kyler ain't coming back for a while. Dobbs will be relatively bad because... well, that's who Dobbs is. And after 3 or 4 losses in a row to start the year, eventually Gannon will start singing Clayton's Tune.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Between this offensive line and Josh Dobbs' suckiness I don't see him lasting until Kyler gets back. I mean if the other team doesn't kill him the boo-birds will. Dobbs is a proven loser, don't care how smart he is, that just makes it worse. If he's been bad elsewhere it's gonna be a freaking nightmare here - but I guess it's by design?

I hope he's better than advertised because damn

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Out of all the QBs available last year, on 31 practice squads and street FAs, Tennessee selected Dobbs to lead them, while in a fight for the playoffs. His 1st game was 1 week after joining the team...Dobbs played about as as you'd expect, especially with Henry sitting out the game, yet the Titans could/should have beaten the Cowboys. The following week he played much better against Jacksonville and again they should have won, but a strip sack cost Tennessee the game.

At the end of the day, he does have real in game experience with a fair amount of pressure and expectations. I firmly believe he's the best choice for week 1 at Washington.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think maybe because of experience Dobbs can operate this offense. I don’t believe anyone is expecting Dobbs to load the team on his back and lead the team to victory.
This will all come down to the Cards ability to run the ball enabling play action and controlling the clock. If we do this Dobbs can “ manage” the team. If we can’t the Skins ( yes I said it) will twist him into a pretzel.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
why not throw a low stakes QB controversy into this season?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why not throw a low stakes QB controversy into this season?
I was about to say it was akin to Skolbton QB Controvery years back, but somehow that comparison would even be an insult to that gruesome twosome at QB.

Dobbs/Tune is really beneath the bottom of the barrel.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was about to say it was akin to Skolbton QB Controvery years back, but somehow that comparison would even be an insult to that gruesome twosome at QB.

Dobbs/Tune is really beneath the bottom of the barrel.
I was all about Red Skelton, baby! We can fix the accuracy issues, right? Right?

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think maybe because of experience Dobbs can operate this offense. I don’t believe anyone is expecting Dobbs to load the team on his back and lead the team to victory.
This will all come down to the Cards ability to run the ball enabling play action and controlling the clock. If we do this Dobbs can “ manage” the team. If we can’t the Skins ( yes I said it) will twist him into a pretzel.
Very well said!

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Harry, I'm pretty sure that if Dobbs doesn't play well, Tune won't have long to wait to get his chance.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I'll say it, and you can save it, bookmark it, screenshot it, whatever the appropriate storage is for the throw it in your face later

When all is said and done - the 5th round rookie Clayton Tune will have better stats than the Mr Familiar Josh Dobbs this year

Matter fact that's what I'm calling Dobbs from now on - Mr Familiar

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It’s too bad that Tune is eligible to change teams after this year.

[checks earpiece]

Oh NVM
I’m aware of the contract rules. I also think it’s better than even money that Murray starts game 5. Even if he gets hurt again they seem to see Dobbs differently than most. If Murray plays well he starts for several seasons. If not they draft a QB and why would Tune start ahead of a very early draft pick with a high salary? Will they keep a third string, unproven QB if offered a draft pick? This is the perfect time to try Tune. If not he likely gets caught up in a QB shuffle and never gets a fair chance.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are talking about a 5th round pick creating problems about playing time before the first game in his rookie season? I feel like I walked through the door into crazyland when I opened this thread.

And I’m a Harry fan.
Agreed, and no matter how good Tune thinks he will be, if he looked at his film he has to know he made a ton of mistakes in preseason, so I don't see how he could not understand why he is not getting the starting gig right away.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If not they draft a QB and why would Tune start ahead of a very early draft pick with a high salary? Will they keep a third string, unproven QB if offered a draft pick?

Tune is the #2 QB next year.

He is not starting over Kyler or a #1 pick.

It's too early to trade him for a pick (no value).

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
Fundamentally agree that the ceiling is unknown for tune - and pretty limited for Dobbs. I do not think they brought in dobbs because they were high on dobbs (despite what they say/in media). I think they brought in dobbs because tune is just too raw and throwing him in now would be like feeding a lamb to the wolves. As a couch coach- I would give dobbs a short leash to give tune a little more time, then throw him in after we have suffered enough from dobbs (unless dobbs shocks us all and balls out)