The Tale of the Direct TV Sales Process

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing an ad for Direct TV offer NFL Sunday ticket streaming for about $200 Brighteyes and thought what the heck, lets try.

So she called, and predictably sat on hold, then she got the sales droid.

The deal was yes, if we get Direct TV, but she says "We have had two installers out here over the last 3 years and they all say the same, No line of sight to the satellites"

No worries, the sales droid said, if you commit to getting the service and we can't install it, then you can get NFL Sunday ticket FREE for the rest of this season and all next year. So we read his offer back to him and he confirmed that was what he said.

So the installer shows up today and guess what ... No line of sight to satellites, lots of large trees in the way. So we called back to get our NFL sunday ticket and to nobodies surprise Direct TV disavowed any knowledge of the original conversation ... Now they want us to pay a full $300 for this year alone.

I was 'slightly' put out, just slightly [steam coming out of ears actually], I asked to hear the tape they told us they were making of yesterdays call. Apparently that isn't available to customers. As I told him I'm sure it isn't as they do not want to give people the evidence they need to sue them.

The takeway from this is record all conversations with customer service for anybody. I know it isn't hard so I'm going to figure it out then we will tell them that we are recording the conversation [for training and legal purposes :)]

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
google voice will integrate into your phone and you can record your calls through it.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope but they won't give it to you unless you pay for a DTV subscription [even if you can't get a signal]

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not the lack of DTV that bugs me, it's the flat out lie the sales rep gave me.

It was so bad that when we spoke to the 'supervisor' lol, he even admitted we had been lied to but that there was nothing he could do and they would not release the tape.

I had a hard lesson drummed into me today, those recordings are solely for their benefit, yeah I knew that but now I really know it. I guess I just assume deep down that people are honest and they aren't

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I guess I just assume deep down that people are honest and they aren't

Most people are honest, but those who are dishonest are likely to be drawn to careers like sales, which are a good fit for their lying ability. So whenever you talk to a salesperson, you need to think about why that person has that job.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You should escalate, ask for a manger, and then their manager. Tell them if you can not listen to the recording, tell the manager to listen to the recording and call you back.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Have someone else call, same story and see if you can record it.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should escalate, ask for a manger, and then their manager. Tell them if you can not listen to the recording, tell the manager to listen to the recording and call you back.

He refused to give me access to the recording

That's the funny part is he didn't dispute my account, just said there was nothing he could do. He believed me [probably because he listened to the tape] but still could do nothing

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
DirecTV is a cash cow. Look at the recent Rob Lowe ads---they lure customers in with all kinds of bells and whistles and deals, and once the grace period is over, you are looking at $150 a month for basic channels, one or two of the movie channels and NFL Sunday Ticket.

In your case, Nidan, how can you get NFL Sunday Ticket for free if they can't install the dish? It makes no sense. Just as paying $300 for no service makes no sense. Was I missing something here?

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DirecTV is a cash cow. Look at the recent Rob Lowe ads---they lure customers in with all kinds of bells and whistles and deals, and once the grace period is over, you are looking at $150 a month for basic channels, one or two of the movie channels and NFL Sunday Ticket.

In your case, Nidan, how can you get NFL Sunday Ticket for free if they can't install the dish? It makes no sense. Just as paying $300 for no service makes no sense. Was I missing something here?

They offer a streaming option

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I have noticed many times with them that when the monthly figure you agree to with the sales rep doesn't come though on your next bill, when you call again they say they have no knowledge of it. It really does behoove you to tape the conversations yourself.

I just feel so frustrated that they monopolize NFL Sunday Ticket. If they didn't, the price would be much more reasonable and the options would be more diverse. It's a racket. Wonder if Roger Goodell gets a slice of the pie.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I won't bore you with my Direct TV lies and nightmare. But will say this to all. Why are any of us still paying for satellite or cable? Save the $1200 or more per year. Purchase an over the air antenna (if you even need that which I don't) and an under $99 Roku, Amazon TV, or whatever. I just cut the cord myself and will never go back.

I now know that you can watch anything you want that is on TV for free via your PC and a variety of different TV boxes like Amazon Fire. The way I went was the Amazon Fire TV box in my living room and one Amazon Fire TV Stick in the bedroom that isn't a smart TV. Smart TVs are really all you need with a good wifi system set up on your desktop TV. The smart TVs are not as good as spending the $100 for an Amazon Fire TV or Roku type box, or even a $39 Fire Stick. Smart TVs aren't as fast and don't have the range of the added box or stick.

I spent $99 for a year subscription to Amazon Prime Movie/TV and can watch any TV show and lots of movies for free for a year. The Amazon Fire box even gives you the ESPN channel.

But what about all the football game you ask? I watch any sporting event worldwide including the NFL for free via Wiziwig streaming all games over the internet. Just hook up you PC to your main TV and watch what you want sports wise LIVE.

CUT THE CORD GANG. NO NEED FOR THOSE LYING THEIFS AT DIRECT TV.

Save yourself $10,000-$20,000 over the next decade or two. You just don't need it any longer in this day and age.

I am binge watching the entire series of The Wire now. Just finished binge watching Dexter and 6 feet Under over the last month. Shows like even Sons of Anarchy are on for free whenever you want to watch an episode. You may have to wait a day or two after they are shown on normal TV for them to be free over the net. But who watches live TV shows and all the commercials that come with them any more.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I won't bore you with my Direct TV lies and nightmare. But will say this to all. Why are any of us still paying for satellite or cable? Save the $1200 or more per year. Purchase an over the air antenna (if you even need that which I don't) and an under $99 Roku, Amazon TV, or whatever. I just cut the cord myself and will never go back.

I now know that you can watch anything you want that is on TV for free via your PC and a variety of different TV boxes like Amazon Fire. The way I went was the Amazon Fire TV box in my living room and one Amazon Fire TV Stick in the bedroom that isn't a smart TV. Smart TVs are really all you need with a good wifi system set up on your desktop TV. The smart TVs are not as good as spending the $100 for an Amazon Fire TV or Roku type box, or even a $39 Fire Stick. Smart TVs aren't as fast and don't have the range of the added box or stick.

I spent $99 for a year subscription to Amazon Prime Movie/TV and can watch any TV show and lots of movies for free for a year. The Amazon Fire box even gives you the ESPN channel.

But what about all the football game you ask? I watch any sporting event worldwide including the NFL for free via Wiziwig streaming all games over the internet. Just hook up you PC to your main TV and watch what you want sports wise LIVE.

CUT THE CORD GANG. NO NEED FOR THOSE LYING THEIFS AT DIRECT TV.

Save yourself $10,000-$20,000 over the next decade or two. You just don't need it any longer in this day and age.

I am binge watching the entire series of The Wire now. Just finished binge watching Dexter and 6 feet Under over the last month. Shows like even Sons of Anarchy are on for free whenever you want to watch an episode. You may have to wait a day or two after they are shown on normal TV for them to be free over the net. But who watches live TV shows and all the commercials that come with them any more.

I agree. I think the the existing cable/satellite companies' business model will fail in short order. I really don't know anyone under the age of 30 that pays for television. A $50 Raspberry Pi with wireless plugs into the back of your TV and can be set up in 20 minutes following youtube video instructionals. Or you can buy a Roku/Apple TV, pay for Netflix, Hulu, etc. Just too many options for anyone willing to put a little bit of effort into it. I went all streaming years ago and you couldn't pay me to go back. They only commercials I watch are on Cardinals games live. I also enjoy watching the out-of-market games, pay-per-view events like UFC/boxing, and movies that get released much earlier in full HD.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I wont even get into the "I tried to get something I knew I couldn't...... then trusted a phone salesmans word...... then got mad at someone else for it when it didnt work" issue.

Why will I not cut the cord at this time? Because the picture quality is abhorrent when compared to Fios or DirecTV. I have a Roku3 and Amazon Fire box, and still only use them as additions to my DTV service.

I just cant stand looking at shoddy picture quality. I paid good money for my TV so I could enjoy the best picture and sound possible. Nothing comes close via online streaming (Even with my 75 down and 25 up). And that includes the 4k options that Amazon just introduced.

Just my 2 cents.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wont even get into the "I tried to get something I knew I couldn't...... then trusted a phone salesmans word...... then got mad at someone else for it when it didnt work" issue.

Why will I not cut the cord at this time? Because the picture quality is abhorrent when compared to Fios or DirecTV. I have a Roku3 and Amazon Fire box, and still only use them as additions to my DTV service.

I just cant stand looking at shoddy picture quality. I paid good money for my TV so I could enjoy the best picture and sound possible. Nothing comes close via online streaming (Even with my 75 down and 25 up). And that includes the 4k options that Amazon just introduced.

Just my 2 cents.

I think that's a valid concern or at least has been at times for me. And there is also the issue of Net Neutrality and the impact this will have on pricing for those relying on the internet for their TV.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson