The Positive Kyler Murray News Thread

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. The team who trades for Murray wouldn't be eating the remaining $46.2MM of his signing bonus, but they will be on the hook for his fully guaranteed salary in 2024 ($37 million) and 2025 ($18 million), plus an $11.9 million roster bonus paid in 2025.
Plus, as I noted in another thread, $850,000 per game roster bonus through the end of his deal.

I don't understand the persistent magical thinking where Murray is bad enough that the Cardinals are smart enough to ditch him and his remaining contract, but some other team is stupid enough to take it on.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I don't understand the persistent magical thinking where Murray is bad enough that the Cardinals are smart enough to ditch him and his remaining contract, but some other team is stupid enough to take it on.

I hear what you are saying but don't you think the Vikings and Falcons would trade for Kyler? I do.

Carson Wentz got traded for a #1 pick.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying but don't you think the Vikings and Falcons would trade for Kyler? I do.

Carson Wentz got traded for a #1 pick.
No, he didn't.

Eagles to Colts (2021)​

• Colts get: QB Carson Wentz
  • Eagles get: 2021 third-round draft pick; 2022 conditional second-round pick

Colts to Commanders (2022)​

• Commanders get: QB Carson Wentz, 2022 second-round pick
  • Colts get: 2022 second- and third-round picks; conditional 2023 third-round pick (converts to a second-round pick if Wentz plays 70 percent of snaps)
EDIT: Oops, nevermind - that conditional 2nd turned into a 1st because Wentz played 75% of the snaps! Thanks @TheCardFan (but the point remains: )

And both of the trades in which he was involved are universally viewed as stupid moves by the acquiring teams - red flags that warn other teams off making similar mistakes.

Last edited:

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s be honest here can we. How can we possibly evaluate Murray, when it’s blatantly obvious that we don’t have enough weapons around him to do so. It’s a joke if we really think that’s what MOJG are doing. They already KNOW what Murray can do
How do they know this? They're finding out at the same time and in the same way as the rest of us - by evaluating his performance on the field in live action for the first time these past two weeks.
We have but a few legit players on that offense (Murray, Conner when healthy, McBride, and Paris).
So, when other players play poorly, it's because they suck, but when Murray plays poorly, it's because everyone else sucks?
Our RB room has ZERO ability to create a big play, and that’s a HUGE problem for this offense.
With Conner in, the running game was fine and produced several nice runs that gained first downs or put the team ahead of the sticks. It was odd that he only got the ball 14 times, but perhaps that was a result of Murray changing the play at the line.
Bottom line, it’s not Petzing’s fault, it’s not Murray’s fault, it’s not even MOJG’s fault right now.
It never seems to be for you. You seem to have already made your judgement on Murray and whatever happens on the field doesn't matter, or at least can only be used as evidence in his favor, but not against him.

I'm hopeful, but I'll watch and evaluate how things play out the rest of the way, along with the coaching and front office staff, with clear eyes regarding the shortcomings on the rest of the team. There's a difference between wearing rose-colored glasses, and wearing blinders.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PACF will defend anything Cardinal-related until he dies. I don’t know why y’all continue to waste characters, lol.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Plus, as I noted in another thread, $850,000 per game roster bonus, totaling $14.45M/year through the end of his deal.

Because kylers contract ain't that bad when you remove the signing bonus AZ already paid.
Plus, the nfl is full of egos. Egos that see kyler wasted by a failed college coach with a gimmick offense...then handed over to a first year defensive coach to be rehabilitated.

Very easy for a GM who thinks his staff is better than ours to feel like they can make kyler the QB he was meant to be...and do it without the growing pains of a rookie.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
which WR group is better?

Hollywood Brown
Michael Wilson
Greg Dortch
Rondale Moore
Zach Paschal
Andre Baccella

• 14 Damiere Byrd.
  • 12 Pharoh Cooper KR.
  • 11 Larry Fitzgerald.
  • 89 Andy Isabella.
  • 19 KeeSean Johnson.
  • 13 Christian Kirk.
  • 16 Trent Sherfield.

I'd say 2019.

Good news Kyler! Your WR group will probably be better next year! :)

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They got the 16th pick in the 2022 draft @daves

I stand corrected! Forgot that the 2nd rounder turned into a 1st because Wentz played 75% of the snaps. (Which only makes it an even more awful trade for the Colts and a bigger red flag!)

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very easy for a GM who thinks his staff is better than ours to feel like they can make kyler the QB he was meant to be...and do it without the growing pains of a rookie.
I guess we shall see. Or, hopefully, Murray will play well enough from here on out that the Cards happily keep him.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What you’ve stated is true. However, he severely under threw both balls to Brown. He severely missed McBride and under threw him last week. I refuse to believe that was by design. He doesn’t seem to be throwing receivers open which might lead some to believe he’s late on his reads and leads to contested catches.

He does have the ability with some Superman efforts to make plays and overcome the team’s deficiencies and that’s the teetering point here.

Also too many times his footwork is terrible. He throws off his back foot way too often even when he has time. Bad habit or shell shocked?

I’m not bagging on him. I’m just seeing things that concern me.
Yep two games into this offense lol, takes time and all QBs make bad or innaccurate throws, but lots of them have good WRs that make great catches to help their QB. Kyler has guys that drop balls that hit them right in the hands sometimes lol, it’s no coincidence when Dhop played he looked much better because he could catch the damn ball!

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have given him credit. His athleticism seems to provide boom or bust. The point is this can’t be his best. I don’t believe it’s his best.

I’ll even go further by saying this coaching staff needs to adjust to him too. But I don’t want this offense to be successful on Murray having to be Superman. If that’s the case we will probably lose more games than we win because one man cannot sustain success on super plays. Sometimes it’s doing just the simple things and letting other players make plays.

Bottom line, he HAS to get better. We will see.
I agreed with you until the last sentence. The team as a WHOLE has to get better. And if that happens, then Murray will be in a position to get better also.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Plus, as I noted in another thread, $850,000 per game roster bonus through the end of his deal.

Eh Murray is still a two time Pro Bowler.

If I'm Atlanta and I can't trade up for a QB, I'm calling about Murray. They have a solid OL, good RBs, Drake London, and Kyle Pitts. I offer a 2024 1st, 2024 3rd, and a future conditional. Atlanta would likely be the NFC South Champs next year.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. A lot I disagree with you on this. The throw to Brown on both deep passes were grossly underthrown and instead of blaming Brown ( which I do agree on) good throws on both of those attempts would have been touchdowns. His pass to McBride last week was grossly underthrown but McBride made a great play.
Throwing off the back foot, uh uh. There are times when it’s necessary. But most times the Qb is moving forward as he comes through the ball, not falling backwards.
You can continue to color a forgiving picture for Murray. I give him credit for the work he’s put in and his apparent attitude change but I will not just sweep his mistakes or shortcomings under the rug.
If Sunday was Murray’s best, it’s not good enough.
I don’t see anyone saying Sunday was his best… when he sat his feet and deliver the perfect bomb to Moore that’s not a throw many are making if your honest! He can make the throws he just can’t be falling backwards when he does it. He’s two game a into a total new regime and offense no one would be up to speed 100% that’s just fact, also fact our WR room is short and very underwhelming to say the least. Give it time if he still looks like Sunday at the end of the season that’s a different discussion. He may or may not be the right fit for Gannon we don’t know yet, but Gannon seems high in him…

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don’t see anyone saying Sunday was his best… when he sat his feet and deliver the perfect bomb to Moore that’s not a throw many are making if your honest! He can make the throws he just can’t be falling backwards when he does it. He’s two game a into a total new regime and offense no one would be up to speed 100% that’s just fact, also fact our WR room is short and very underwhelming to say the least. Give it time if he still looks like Sunday at the end of the season that’s a different discussion. He may or may not be the right fit for Gannon we don’t know yet, but Gannon seems high in him…
agree. But Gannon cant devalue the asset either. Historically new GM's and Head Coaches usually want "their" guy...
I mean hell, the giants had super bowl winning QB Kurt Warner, playing quite well for them...and they benched him mid season because Eli was their guy and they wanted to get his era started...
it obviously wasnt Kurt...because he came here...and IIRC took us to the super bowl before eli took the giants.
so however it works out with Kyler...it doesnt have to be about fault...it can be about fit....we all know there is a certain amount of spin... but it would be easy for Monti and JG to spin it that Kyler was drafted to run a specific offense... but when the architect of that offense didnt work out....they couldnt make Kylers skillset fit into the offense they want to run. Then you draft a 6'4 prototype QB and everyone figures your just going back to the basics

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
See, I can agree with this. It wasn't his best but it's only his second game back, and if he isn't better by the end of the season, it'll be a discussion. It's when you say things like "this game is 100 percent on the coaching period" that folks disagree. The above is a good take.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To the IHKC (I Hate Kyler Crew), if you are being honest which QBs in this league would be excelling with this offensive line and WRs? And let’s ignore the factor of not playing live football for a year in a new scheme. Would love to see that list of QBs.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Eh Murray is still a two time Pro Bowler.

If I'm Atlanta and I can't trade up for a QB, I'm calling about Murray. They have a solid OL, good RBs, Drake London, and Kyle Pitts. I offer a 2024 1st, 2024 3rd, and a future conditional. Atlanta would likely be the NFC South Champs next year.
Just as long as Atlanta gives us one of their two QB's, so that we'll have someone to play when the Zach Wilson type QB we draft doesn't cut it.

Thank God, Monti is our GM.

Stout

Reaction score
To the IHKC (I Hate Kyler Crew), if you are being honest which QBs in this league would be excelling with this offensive line and WRs? And let’s ignore the factor of not playing live football for a year in a new scheme. Would love to see that list of QBs.
There's the distortion. No one, and I mean no one, expects Kyler to excel right now. I don't expect him to win any games right now. That would be silly. False hate you're spreading there, man. One encouraging game and one discouraging game for me, merely because he reverted to old habits--not because he didn't excel. We still have plenty of games to watch him this year, too. Nobody is writing him off at this point.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There's the distortion. No one, and I mean no one, expects Kyler to excel right now. I don't expect him to win any games right now. That would be silly. False hate you're spreading there, man. One encouraging game and one discouraging game for me, merely because he reverted to old habits--not because he didn't excel. We still have plenty of games to watch him this year, too. Nobody is writing him off at this point.
I asked for a list Stouty.. provide the list don’t twist the narrative. I want a list of QBs you and your crew think would be excelling with this Oline and WRs.

Stout

Reaction score
I asked for a list Stouty.. provide the list don’t twist the narrative. I want a list of QBs you and your crew think would be excelling with this Oline and WRs.
1--An insult
2--You continue trying to twist the narrative
3--A demand to satisfy your weird attempt to twist the narrative

I'll try one last time. None of us think Kyler should be excelling on this team right now. No one's saying that. Why are you fixating on that? Can you show one poster claiming Kyler should be excelling with this OL and set of WRs?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1--An insult
2--You continue trying to twist the narrative
3--A demand to satisfy your weird attempt to twist the narrative

I'll try one last time. None of us think Kyler should be excelling on this team right now. No one's saying that. Why are you fixating on that? Can you show one poster claiming Kyler should be excelling with this OL and set of WRs?
1 - you get offended way to easy…
2 - still waiting on that list
3 - the IHKC has been posting absurd expectations and criticism after 2 games..just look at the posts. I don’t think based on the variables I mentioned there is a QB I’m this league that would be successful based on these circumstances.

He made some really bad throws - the McBride one was gross at the end of the game. He looked nervous and threw it in the dirt.. at the same time I didn’t have expectations that it would be all flowers after a year and a further diminished roster. He made some outstanding plays as well from the Rondale throw to the TD run. Things you can’t teach…those things were extremely promising. I do believe he has competent coaches now, just give him a competent roster. Not the best at every position the IHKC will yell, but give him an adequate Oline and a #1 WR

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison