The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Another win and the US now sits in first place followed by Mexico & then Honduras. Costa Rica is falling apart. 2 games left though and the US can still finish as low as fourth place if they fall apart in Honduras and home against Costa Rica.

The US didn't look good, played about as bad a first half as they have in a long time but thanks to Tim Howard's saves and Ricardo Clarks blast they got the 3 points.

Eventually Bradley is going to have to sit his son because he isn't looking sharp right now.

It is really, REALLY time to sit Dempsey down. He's either injured or just an incredibly lazy bum. He walked instead of ran and clearly didn't care about the game. Even our homer announcers noticed it and continually remarked on it.

I agree that Bradley isn't getting it done either but, in the midfield, neither is Clark. Yeah, he got the goal, but neither he nor Bradley can hold the ball at all in the midfield. Oh Claudio Reyna, where are you?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It is really, REALLY time to sit Dempsey down. He's either injured or just an incredibly lazy bum. He walked instead of ran and clearly didn't care about the game. Even our homer announcers noticed it and continually remarked on it.

I agree that Bradley isn't getting it done either but, in the midfield, neither is Clark. Yeah, he got the goal, but neither he nor Bradley can hold the ball at all in the midfield. Oh Claudio Reyna, where are you?

I agree with you on all counts. Hopefully Jones gets approved by FIFA soon so he can spend as many matches before the WC earning his way to a roster spot.

Clark has a role on the team but I don't think he is starting material. Maybe his upcoming transfer to Serie A will help his game but we will see.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
US plays tonight but unless you live near a bar that has the game on closed circuit TV you can't watch it...sucks. It isn't offered anywhere in the entire state of TN...I hate that crap.

Maybe I can find it online somewhere but I doubt it.

Huge game for the US, Dempsey is out, hopefully that means Holden gets the start.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
This game has been crazy. 5 goals in the 2nd half including 3 by the US in about 15 minutes. Right now it is 3-2 USA with about 10 minutes left in the game.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Holy cow, US had a hand ball right in front of our own goal with about 5 minutes to go. The Honduras player procceded to kick the ball over the net. Crazy.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I was actually able to find a decent internet feed, even if the English announcer kept getting the players names wrong, I am so glad Pavon skyed that PK.

The US was outplayed for pretty much the entire first half--although the US still had a couple of decent chances, Bocanegra missed an open goal on a corner and put the ball over the cross bar, Davies nice header was saved well by the Honduran GK and he blew the rebound high and over. After the Honduran goal to take the 1-0 lead the US really started playing well to get to 3-1(Landon scored & assisted on the last 2) then was on their heels a bit leading to goal #2 and almost to goal #3.

Now the game on Wednesday is meaningless. Hopefully Bradley runs out some guys who haven't seen much playing time recently (namely Torres).

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Bad news...Charlie Davies was involved in a serious accident in which one person died and he has non-life threatening injuries that require surgery.

Goff is reporting that a USSF spokesman said the injuries are "possibly" career threatening.

Ives, Wahl & Goff are all posting updates as they come in.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ARLINGTON, Va. -- U.S. soccer forward Charlie Davies was in surgery on Tuesday afternoon after being involved in a severe one-car accident on the George Washington Parkway in Virginia during the early hours of Tuesday morning.

There was a fatality in the accident, said U.S. Soccer spokesman Neil Buethe. He added that Davies was in stable condition and that his injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Davies, 23, who plays for the French club Sochaux, was expected to require more than five hours of surgery at Washington Hospital Center.

Davies has four goals in 17 caps, and started on Saturday when the U.S. won 3-2 at Honduras to clinch its sixth straight World Cup berth. He made his first U.S. appearance on June 2, 2007, as a substitute against China.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/10/13/charlie.davies/index.html?cnn=yes#ixzz0TrIGuqJn
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Last update I saw was a broken leg and internal injuries and he was out of surgery after 5 hours. Nothing about the injuries has been confirmed though.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Accident update from Steve Goff (Washington Post)

Davies Accident Update
USA national team forward Charlie Davies suffered a lacerated bladder, fractures to the tibia and femur in his right leg, facial fractures and a left elbow fracture in the one-car accident that killed a female passenger early Tuesday morning.

He will be hospitalized at least a week and additional operations will be required.

"Injuries of this nature usually require a recovery period of six to 12 months and extensive rehabilitation," team doctor Dan Kalbac said. "Due to Charlie's fitness level, his prognosis for recovery and his ability to resume high-level competition is substantially improved."

It could have been much much worse, if you saw the pictures of the car you know what I am talking about. The car was split in 2 and the back half was a mangled mess.

His World Cup is likely over..at best a 6 month recovery puts him back on the field sometime in April but thats the absolute ideal situation. It'd be hard to recover from all those injuries and get game fit by the time it rolls around next summer.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is tragic :(

Hopefully Davies makes a full recovery and is able to be the player he was before the injury.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
In other news, Bornstein gets torched again. 2-0 at home against Costa Rica, what an embarrassing start.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
who's the fat old white guy playing attack? did he take davies spot, because he SUCKS.

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
USA has had 4 great, great chances to score (Jozy, Casey, Landon x2) . And wouldn't you know it, only 1 shot actually has gone on goal.

Side note: all the flopping in futbol just embarrasses the sport. I really wish FIFA would take a tougher stance/approach to stopping it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Wow...what a finish. We should have scored at least 5 in this game.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Great finish, unfortunately ***** goes down with a patella tendon tear, we will have to wait on the severity (a rupture would keep him out for 6 months or so, a tear and he may only miss a month or 2).

Torres is a game changer.

The crowd at RFK is awesome, always is. I wish I had been there.

Next game is in Denmark next month sometime, would love to go (I've been to Copenhagen before, nice city) but just not in the budget.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Good finish, but let's not forget the fact that we have to be the worst passing team of all the top level international teams in the world. I was literally embarrassed to see Cherundulo, Stuart Holden, Feilhaber and Conor Casey give the ball away that many times. The only guys that could control the ball halfway decent were Landon and Jozy. Bradley had hardly any touches.

Harkes was gushing about Bornstein, and he was GREAT on the offensive side of the field but he was TERRIBLE on defense. Both him and Cherundulo (and even Bocanegra) didn't deserve to be on the field. How can you not mark guys that close to the goal? And then you don't mark the SAME GUY again and he scores a 2nd goal?! Tim Howard had every right to be screaming at his defense. It was atrocious. Good thing qualifying is over, because if it wasn't, with ***** out, our defense would be in BIG trouble.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah, we're pretty screwed for the WC. Davies is out and ***** probably is too. That REALLY hurts because he is our best defender. We literally won't have a prayer to advance if ***** misses the WC.

I really didn't care about the result of the game (although I was thrilled we tied it). I cared about not having injuries and not getting any red cards. Even though Bradley was a complete idiot not taking Altidore out the very moment he got a yellow card, he made it through. The problem is that we should have been playing second-tier players. We'd already qualified and we should have tried to protect our top guys. If Bradley had done that, we wouldn't have lost *****. So we ran out there, made a stunning comeback and managed a draw--for no tangible benefit in the least--and lost our best defender. Ugh.

On the plus side, Jozy has become an absolute beast. If he doesn't start every single match, Bradley will be even more of a lousy coach than I already view him.