The Official US Soccer thread

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Adams apparently staying at Leeds and hoping to get that back up.

McKinnie rumors include Aston Villa, Dortmund, and Brighton.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
The match versus Canada was exciting, of not the cleanest thing ever. Some players are definitely raising questions about what they really bring, others are having really solid and encouraging performances

I think Villa could be an interesting spot for McKennie

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The only players that really stood out to me in this tournament were #9 and Matt turner. I may be leaving some out, but I don’t know that many others belong on the US roster. Zendejas was kind of a let down, idk if he got hurt, but kind of like dike in his prior showings, I wanted to see more. The good news is that the USA squad has a lot of depth now and they have some questions of who will be in their top selections. Please for the love of god do not call up Jordan morris anymore or berhalter gets fired again. I mean I’d rather see Kyle beckerman than Jordan morris. Well almost…

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Aside from that it kind of stinks if Mexico win the gold cup. This is the morale boost that I do not want to see them get. I would have loved to see the USA beat them again when they are struggling. Hopefully Panama beat them in the final.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The US passing in the final third was atrocious. They really should have called up a roster composed mostly of the U23 team for the Gold Cup and let them build chemistry for the Olympics next year.

Some players had decent tournaments, Ferreira, Robinson, Sands, Neal & Busio all had their moments.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The US passing in the final third was atrocious. They really should have called up a roster composed mostly of the U23 team for the Gold Cup and let them build chemistry for the Olympics next year.

Some players had decent tournaments, Ferreira, Robinson, Sands, Neal & Busio all had their moments.
I really like Cade Cowell's potential too - dude looks really fast out there!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Epic fail by our goalie cost us. Still, back in the day Panama was always a good soccer team. We are not as good as we thought. Still overall, we are getting better as an organization. Fore decades you just knew we weren't going to win matches, before we even played in them. Now people "expect" us to win. That's a huge leap in my life time.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Epic fail by our goalie cost us. Still, back in the day Panama was always a good soccer team. We are not as good as we thought. Still overall, we are getting better as an organization. Fore decades you just knew we weren't going to win matches, before we even played in them. Now people "expect" us to win. That's a huge leap in my life time.
We just re-hired Berhalter. We are going backwards as an organization, not getting better.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

I thought Ferreira looked quicker and showed a better first touch strike than he ever shown before. I liked Sands too. I thought Jones showed a lot of potential. He got overly aggressive at times which cost him but at others he did a fine job of containing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only players that really stood out to me in this tournament were #9 and Matt turner. I may be leaving some out, but I don’t know that many others belong on the US roster. Zendejas was kind of a let down, idk if he got hurt, but kind of like dike in his prior showings, I wanted to see more. The good news is that the USA squad has a lot of depth now and they have some questions of who will be in their top selections. Please for the love of god do not call up Jordan morris anymore or berhalter gets fired again. I mean I’d rather see Kyle beckerman than Jordan morris. Well almost…
I thought Sands played really well as well.

Stout

Reaction score
We fielded our B team as the A team played in the Nations League. I don't think it should be any surprise that our B team is about equal to Panama's A.
Whenever we fail to win the Gold Cup and it isn't because of a loss against one of the top-tier Concacaf teams--of which there are few--it should be concerning.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever we fail to win the Gold Cup and it isn't because of a loss against one of the top-tier Concacaf teams--of which there are few--it should be concerning.
We beat Canada in penalties, with their A side and they are a top tier team.
We lost to Panama, also in penalties, with their A side. Both while fielding our B team.
I personally feel that beating Canada is more impressive/not as embarrassing as losing to Panama. Especially playing extra time in both games 3 days from each other.

I don't want to make excuses for this USMNT losing, but I get it. I blame FIFA/Concacaf for scheduling two tournaments in the same window.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
In general, I feel women's soccer in the USA is more competitive world wide than the Men's teams. They seem more organized, too. I tend to watch the women's team more than the mens.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, I feel women's soccer in the USA is more competitive world wide than the Men's teams. They seem more organized, too. I tend to watch the women's team more than the mens.
It will be more/stay more competitive for the next 10 years or so. I believe European teams will start to take over, as club teams are spending quite a bit more on their women academies than other places in the world.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I thought Sands played really well as well.
to be fair I did not get a chance to watch as much as I wanted to because of work. I will try to catch up on Sands. I am glad that the USA can still take some positives from this tournament without the need to grind out our top players.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
honestly our mens team is better and more competitive than it has ever been from a talent perspective. the guys who were on this gold cup roster were all fighting for a spot on the bench for the top US team, perhaps with the goal keeper being the lone exception. One of the problems that I see is that many of our top players are not always getting playing time at their clubs, perhaps they are in over their heads a bit I.E. Christian Pulisic being the main example at Chelsea. then some of the other players that are getting playing time are playing for clubs where the competition is not what it needs to be or like at Leeds their club got relegated and now all of the American players are sharing in the blame. I think playing in MLS or for a lower level Euro side is not always the right answer just for the sake of getting playing time, but football is a sport where you need to play to stay fit.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We beat Canada in penalties, with their A side and they are a top tier team.
We lost to Panama, also in penalties, with their A side. Both while fielding our B team.
I personally feel that beating Canada is more impressive/not as embarrassing as losing to Panama. Especially playing extra time in both games 3 days from each other.

I don't want to make excuses for this USMNT losing, but I get it. I blame FIFA/Concacaf for scheduling two tournaments in the same window.

That wasn't the Canadian A side, I think they only had 2 starters from the team that faced us in the Nations League final. I think Panama is better than some might give them credit for, would not be shocked if they beat Mexico in the final.

Stout

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm done excuse making for the USMNT, which is broken from top to bottom. A nearly broken Mexico win and get a huge bounce while we can't even make the final of the CONCACAF Gold Cup, which should always be a given. I'm about at as low a point in how much I care about this team as I have ever been. We're being shown that there will be no progress because the administration is crap. Why should we care.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The Mexico/Panama game was exciting. Certainly not the best soccer action of all time, but they kept it exciting.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
IDK, there's been lower points where we couldn't even qualify to get into tournaments. They are better, I have to concede. I do see where the women's team seems to be better managed and coached than the men's team. There's a gap there, but I think it's a learning opportunity for the men's team to see what the women's team is doing and learn from it.

Stout

Reaction score
IDK, there's been lower points where we couldn't even qualify to get into tournaments. They are better, I have to concede. I do see where the women's team seems to be better managed and coached than the men's team. There's a gap there, but I think it's a learning opportunity for the men's team to see what the women's team is doing and learn from it.
In 2002 we almost beat Germany to go to...was it the quarters or semis? That was the high point. In 21 years, we've regressed and just re-hired freaking Berhalter after all the change in management. We're not at our low point any more, but we've unquestionably gone backwards.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2002 we almost beat Germany to go to...was it the quarters or semis? That was the high point. In 21 years, we've regressed and just re-hired freaking Berhalter after all the change in management. We're not at our low point any more, but we've unquestionably gone backwards.
2014 we nearly beat Belgium after Tim Howard's heroics if Wondolowski taps the ball in from 2 feet as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard