The Official US Soccer thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
An enjoyable pair of games.

Mexico was an embarrassment, bit a good experience for some younger and newer players - welcome to CONCACAF

Not just from this match, but a rules frustration in general - a player can get body checked, shoved in the back, surrounded by multiple players and if they try to shove them away and their hands scrape above the shoulders it's an automatic red card....... Yet the actions that escalated to that point aren't penalized

You can push your forehead into someone, putting your head low in to them and they get tossed for pushing you back - I've seen it a lot this year

Jorge Sánchez (19) was involved in 3 different heightened altercations and multiple other incidents and doesn't even end up with a card

The US did dominate both games and i was really glad to see early goals

Balogun impressed and seemed to be building chemistry

Was nice to see Scally show a fair amount of his he plays in Germany. He's battled Davies at Bayern, so that matchup wasn't new to him.

It also frustrates me with Gregg coming back.

Scally was an afterthought to MLS guys. Reyna is an absolute engine, but was told he'd be a non participant in the world cup. Pepi is active and finding form, but Gregg would rather go with low ceiling Jordan Morris

What we saw this weekend should be the core of the team during intentional breaks. Add in Adam's when healthy and continue to get going young and developing players experience and let these guys build chemistry and understanding with each other
I definitely concur on the red cards for the USA. especially Mckennie’s. That was one of those that I don’t know that he could have done anything different other than cower over. That was more of a situation where the whole team needs to just stay calm and not go after the player that did the act on the other side.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The worst part of Berhalter being back is that it shows that USSF did not take the coaching search seriously, it was always going to be him and they were just trolling the supporters along the way. That being said I want nothing more than this team to succeed and I won't wish failure on the coach because I don't believe in him or the federation's decisions. Plus why are you giving him the Gold Cup off? Stupid.

Nations League was fun though, Mexico is a shell of what they were, they are in such a talent deficit right now and firmly behind the US & Canada. Canada is a strange case, they have a lot of talent but something is missing, I never thought the game was in doubt when we were up 2-0, they just weren't much of a threat in our end. That showed during the WC too, they just were disappointing on field.
I think canada was overmatched against the USA. Alfonso Davies looked dangerous. He had some menacing runs in the final 3rd. Most of his runs were defended well. I thought scally got lucky on a foul call once on a counter opportunity. When Davies did have an opening there was no one for him to link up with. Jedi allowed nothing on the left side and I have to give the two center backs props for always being in position and making little to no mistakes with the ball on their feet. Zimmerman almost had a cracking volley go in as well. There were some people from the Canada side hanging their hat on a possession advantage, but the USA had a handful of chances that were better than any one chance that Canada ever had to score.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Looks like Weah is on his way to Juventus.

Pulisic should be on the move soon as well but I haven't heard any good rumors yet as to where.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score

Pulisic should be on the move soon as well but I haven't heard any good rumors yet as to where.

Not sure I love the Juve move. It could potentially be a really nice landing spot that fits his style.

It's also a very tough environment, one without much patience and one where there isn't much hesitation to overbuy and loan

I guess since they just ended a WC, now it's a good time to take the risk - if it doesn't work, it will be like McKennie and not work fairly quickly. Which means a new landing spot with a year or two before the WC matches

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
So now I am seeing Pulisic rumors to AC Milan, Musah to West Ham, Tyler Adams to Aston Villa or Nottingham. It will be interesting to see how these all pan out.

Pepi, Balogun, Aaronson, McKennie, Tillman, Wright are all transfer targets too.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So now I am seeing Pulisic rumors to AC Milan, Musah to West Ham, Tyler Adams to Aston Villa or Nottingham. It will be interesting to see how these all pan out.

Pepi, Balogun, Aaronson, McKennie, Tillman, Wright are all transfer targets too.
Chiesa might be leaving Milan (maybe even for Newcastle!), so Pulisic going there could make sense. There are a few whispers of Adams to Newcastle, but nothing with any substance. I wonder if Forest will grossly overspend and screw themselves even more? I mean, they stayed up, but not due to overspending. Crikey, the Mags got them to buy Wood and Shelvey!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I always thought that Pulisic would be a good fit for Tottenham or maybe West Ham if he wants to be in London. I think he would fit in well with the style that harry Kane and Son play. Honestly, christian can fit anywhere. he needs to be valued. Chelsea was toxic, not just for him but for many good players who could not get any type of consistency as it regards to playing time. that's why so many players left and Tuchel ultimately got sacked. Mason Mount is the only player that they seem to be married to, probably because of his nationality. a lot of people seem to think that christian needs to leave England, but going to another big club in another league or in the EPL might not be the answer.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

Weah might be the USA's top player atm. he is so good. hopefully it works out. he strikes me as a player that could fit anywhere.

Stout

Reaction score
I always thought that Pulisic would be a good fit for Tottenham or maybe West Ham if he wants to be in London. I think he would fit in well with the style that harry Kane and Son play. Honestly, christian can fit anywhere. he needs to be valued. Chelsea was toxic, not just for him but for many good players who could not get any type of consistency as it regards to playing time. that's why so many players left and Tuchel ultimately got sacked. Mason Mount is the only player that they seem to be married to, probably because of his nationality. a lot of people seem to think that christian needs to leave England, but going to another big club in another league or in the EPL might not be the answer.
Eh, Pulisic hasn't really earned superstar status yet. Rumor is he's been offered to Newcastle and now the Mags don't want him because they don't see him as good enough. Which is weird, because a year ago I'd have gnawed my own arm off to get him in the Mags squad. Now? For depth, perhaps.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Eh, Pulisic hasn't really earned superstar status yet. Rumor is he's been offered to Newcastle and now the Mags don't want him because they don't see him as good enough. Which is weird, because a year ago I'd have gnawed my own arm off to get him in the Mags squad. Now? For depth, perhaps.
I think he would be great at Newcastle. Probably their best player if he goes there.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Not even close. Heck, I'm not sure if he'd be better than Gordon let alone Guimares and the rest.
I don’t know why I said that.I think he’s on par with almiron. The EPL has so many great players, especially attacking players. Just about every team will have guys that you will have to compete with for playing time. Christian definitely needs to find a home.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not even close. Heck, I'm not sure if he'd be better than Gordon let alone Guimares and the rest.
I don't think he plays the same position anymore than Guimares. I don't know if I would start Pulisic over Saint Max at this point though.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Pulisic should honestly go to some French, Italian, or German outfit that's not one of the big boys in that country and try to dominate the league to get his mojo back. Something in the Lille, Roma, or Leverkusen mold.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulisic should honestly go to some French, Italian, or German outfit that's not one of the big boys in that country and try to dominate the league to get his mojo back. Something in the Lille, Roma, or Leverkusen mold.
I think he should go to AC Milan, and then if not back to Germany.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Weah to Juventus is done.

Pepi to PSV is done. Since the Dutch league plays terrible defense and he will be getting good service I expect him to thrive. Good confidence building move for a 20 yr old. Altidore and Bradley tore it up in the Dutch League, hopefully in Pepi’s case he does the same and builds on it (those 2 never came close to equaling that type of production again).

Looks like Lyon has now entered the rumor mill for Pulisic.

Stout

Reaction score
Weah to Juventus is done.

Pepi to PSV is done. Since the Dutch league plays terrible defense and he will be getting good service I expect him to thrive. Good confidence building move for a 20 yr old. Altidore and Bradley tore it up in the Dutch League, hopefully in Pepi’s case he does the same and builds on it (those 2 never came close to equaling that type of production again).

Looks like Lyon has now entered the rumor mill for Pulisic.
All good news.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Latest rumor, McKennie to Borussia Dortmund.

Dest is on sale from Barcelona--rumor is Crystal Palace & West Ham are interested.

The US is tearing up the minnows in CONCACAF with the B team. Good to see as the US has all too often played down to the level of their competition.

Mexico lost to Qatar and then as is typical their fans proceeded to tarnish their reputation even further after the match.

Canadian soccer is broke (financially), just when you think they are building something to give us another regional rival it appears their federation is a mess.