The Official US Soccer thread

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah.

May need to balance minutes, club accommodations, etc

However, it's important for these guys to get minutes together, to play their game, start to figure it out from that perspective

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Man, this one left a bad taste in the mouth. Yes, we qualified, but it feels like how the Cards got into the playoffs, backing in. I know we effectively qualified after the Panama game, but still. And God, those announcers are AWFUL! The camera had to pan to the few American fans to avoid the embarrassment of seeing our players "wildly celebrating" as the announcers kept claiming would happen.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Man, this one left a bad taste in the mouth. Yes, we qualified, but it feels like how the Cards got into the playoffs, backing in. I know we effectively qualified after the Panama game, but still. And God, those announcers are AWFUL! The camera had to pan to the few American fans to avoid the embarrassment of seeing our players "wildly celebrating" as the announcers kept claiming would happen.
I took notice of the players after the final whistle and it was interesting to see how different the reactions were. La Torro looked pissed off and really didn't take part in the celebration. It seemed like his mood was we just lost this game, no reason to celebrate. Acosta and Moore didn't seem in a celebratory mood either. Zimmerman was kind of no emotion. I too had a bad taste after this one.

As for Steffen, I hope we never see him in net again. I'll take Turner any day of the week over Steffen. It's going to be very interesting to see who makes the final roster. Speaking of whatever happened to Julian Green and George Bello, they were supposed to be up and comers. Now you don't even hear them mentioned.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I took notice of the players after the final whistle and it was interesting to see how different the reactions were. La Torro looked pissed off and really didn't take part in the celebration. It seemed like his mood was we just lost this game, no reason to celebrate. Acosta and Moore didn't seem in a celebratory mood either. Zimmerman was kind of no emotion. I too had a bad taste after this one.

As for Steffen, I hope we never see him in net again. I'll take Turner any day of the week over Steffen. It's going to be very interesting to see who makes the final roster. Speaking of whatever happened to Julian Green and George Bello, they were supposed to be up and comers. Now you don't even hear them mentioned.
Gods, I forgot about Steffen! Yeah, I don't want him ever starting another meaningful game. Lazy, lackadaisical, and gives up big chances to the opposition that shouldn't happen. There's no explaining it through injury or illness, either. It's his entire approach.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Considering the amount of money we put into soccer, it's incredibly embarrassing that we can't even be big fish in a small pond in CONCACAF.

Does this team have any plan? Identity? Strategy? It's an absolute joke that Berhalter is in charge, and celebrating by backing in definitely has Cards 2021 vibes.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
The mentality needs to shift.

We can't be happy to be there with a goal to just make it out of groups

There are gaps, but there is also world class young talent that needs a system and support to free them up

Gregg will often talk like he sees the problems and at times runs out good tactics.... However, the problems persist and don't really change in game

The consistent flat starts and goaless halves against this level of competition just isn't good enough

Yes, qualifying is hard. Conditions aren't great, players are pulled from their club situations, refereeing is bad, etc.

I remember watching the "under" teams play and it was exciting and a bit of rust has been lost

This team needs to learn to step on and just be a problem. Close space, create turnovers and then quickly attack.

They have a bunch of players who are really good at making runs to stress the back line.

They don't have a focal point number 9.

So many fun times those runs go to waste and they look to build an attack once everyone is in position. The is less space for those runs and no target for them to play off.

So they'll probe with offensive possession for a bit and then try to press something and lose it without a good chance

I know Marsch isn't attainable...... But maybe he could bring the staff to a RB clinic to walk through some of that system as it aligns better to the players we your trot out

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Considering the amount of money we put into soccer, it's incredibly embarrassing that we can't even be big fish in a small pond in CONCACAF.

Does this team have any plan? Identity? Strategy? It's an absolute joke that Berhalter is in charge, and celebrating by backing in definitely has Cards 2021 vibes.
With the talent pool available this team should be head and shoulders above other teams in CONCACAF. What concerns me most is the talent evaluation decisions that decide which players to roster.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OMG they are stretching out the inevitable pick of Ghana for our group! LOL

EDIT: And amazingly we didn't draw Ghana.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So quite possible the US will face not only England, but either Wales or Scotland.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
If we win the group, we should have a very favorable round of 16 game. If we finish second, we probably have the Dutch in round of 16.

My guess (first, second):

A - Netherlands, Senegal (I guess)
B - England, USA
C - Argentina, Poland
D - France, Denmark
E - Germany, Spain
F - Belgium, Croatia (but don’t sleep on Canada)
G - Brazil, Serbia
H - Portugal , Uruguay

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Spain/Germany is definitely matchup of the opening round. And I think Group H will be most competitive top to bottom.

Second place in group A is wide open, and I think Group F will be very competitive as well.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It's not an impossible group for the US to get out of. You never know what England team will show up in tournaments--they were stacked when we played them in South Africa and we still managed a draw and the US should be favored in the other 2 matches (regardless of who wins the Euro playoff). The U S has the talent, the only thing holding them back is the manager.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
It's not an impossible group for the US to get out of. You never know what England team will show up in tournaments--they were stacked when we played them in South Africa and we still managed a draw and the US should be favored in the other 2 matches (regardless of who wins the Euro playoff). The U S has the talent, the only thing holding them back is the manager.

Yeah, not a great draw but not a terrible one either. If we play up to potential, we should advance.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Groups C, E, and G look like the three most difficult groups. I think i would call group C the one where any of those teams could end up moving to the group of 16. I also read an article that they will be moving to 48 teams in the next WC in 2026.