The Keim Effect

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Don’t be shocked if Bieniemy isn’t just the first of a long list to say “no” to the Cards. If you were a candidate would you trust your professional future on the premise that Keim could again build a winning roster? Keep in mind that some of the interviewees, especially the first time HCs, will surely be scared by Wilks’ fate. This is not to say Wilks shouldn’t have been fired. Taking a competent 3-4 front 7 and making them an incompetent 4-3 by itself was grounds for dismissal. He also should have been more vocal about the offensive personnel.

I’m saying no coach could have competed for a playoff spot with this roster. Even worse once they secured their QBOTF they did little to assure his success or even his safety. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a roster with one experienced RB and one proven WR. Add in no quality TEs and a weak OL. What did the Cards’ brass think would happen?

They likely will get the coach that’s left after the other jobs are filled. This is sad because the Cards have a few standout players, a decent rookie QB, ample cap space and are picking at the top of each round. This is not an empty cupboard.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don’t be shocked if Bieniemy isn’t just the first of a long list to say “no” to the Cards. If you were a candidate would you trust your professional future on the premise that Keim could again build a winning roster? Keep in mind that some of the interviewees, especially the first time HCs, will surely be scared by Wilks’ fate. This is not to say Wilks shouldn’t have been fired. Taking a competent 3-4 front 7 and making them an incompetent 4-3 by itself was grounds for dismissal. He also should have been more vocal about the offensive personnel.

I’m saying no coach could have competed for a playoff spot with this roster. Even worse once they secured their QBOTF they did little to assure his success or even his safety. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a roster with one experienced RB and one proven WR. Add in no quality TEs and a weak OL. What did the Cards’ brass think would happen?

They likely will get the coach that’s left after the other jobs are filled. This is sad because the Cards have a few standout players, a decent rookie QB, ample cap space and are picking at the top of each round. This is not an empty cupboard.

Ding Ding Ding. If prospective Coaches don't rank Cardinals 33rd out of 32 teams, one should question their acumen.

The chances of hiring another Wilks is more probable than hiring another Mike McCarthy.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This post is disturbing to me. ESPN & their politically correct agenda criticizes the Cardinals for firing an inept minority HC after their MOST miserable season ever, and this is the drivel we come up with? You ask the question - If I were a candidate, would I trust my professional career on the premise that Keim could again build a winning roster? Why wouldn't the answer be an emphatic YES! Why are we forgetting that he was Executive of the Year TWICE. Most GM's in this business would be thrilled to do that over an entire career. Are we forgetting that during his tenure as GM, the Cardinals have put together some pretty damn good teams:

2013 10-6
2014 11-5
2015 13-3
2016 7-8-1
2017 8-8

I won't even consider blaming Keim for the 2018 mess we just endured. I've known & it's now obvious that from day 1, Keim did NOT hire Wilks, nor did he want his fingerprints on that hire. Arians would have won significantly more games with that roster this year. After the butcher job that rag tag ESPN spewed about the Cardinals, it's no wonder that minorities don't want to interview with us. Too stinking bad. If they want to buy that BS, then let them. Keim screwed up with the DUI, and no one can argue that. But he's done everything that MB & the NFL has asked & he deserves more respect than this.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really think this is being overstated by the media right now. This job is better than Tampa and certainly better than Cincinnati.

I see the jobs in tiers

Tier 1

Green Bay
Cleveland

Tier 2
Jets
Cardinals
Miami
Denver

Tier 3

Tampa

Tier 4

Cincinnati

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is Todd Bowles our only realistic hope then?

Gase since the interview is today and they could (Assuming they satisfied Rooney Rule) hire him tonight. Can someone please send reports back from Steak 44 today?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like Bienemy. I doubt he gets an HC job this year. Cards will do fine. I think they will close this quickly.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not hearing great things about Gase and the locker rooms he has had. Hoping for Taylor at the moment with a experienced DC with HC experience like Chuck Pagano

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gase since the interview is today and they could (Assuming they satisfied Rooney Rule) hire him tonight. Can someone please send reports back from Steak 44 today?
IMO with the invitation to Bieniemy that was subsequently turned down, the Rooney Rule has been satisfied.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? Don't they actually have to interview a minority candidate??
And if all minority candidates turn down interviews? They reached out, so far one black candidate said no to an interview. To me, that's enough. Why have a useless interview when you have no intention of hiring that person anyway? This ought to show anyone with an IQ above freezing how silly the rule is on it's face.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some discussion online that Bieniemy may have felt the Cardinals already had a plan and didn't want to be a token Rooney Rule interview.

Being discussed on 98.7

If so that is really shortsighted on his part and really my entire problem with the Rooney Rule.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some discussion online that Bieniemy may have felt the Cardinals already had a plan and didn't want to be a token Rooney Rule interview.

Being discussed on 98.7

If so that is really shortsighted on his part and really my entire problem with the Rooney Rule.
Personally I don't think Bieniemy is ready to be a head coach. He's the offensive equivalent of Steve Wilks. A one year coordinator on a team where the head coach is calling the shots for them. It's like the Eagles under Buddy Ryan. Jeff Fisher was the DC but Ryan was actually pulling the strings.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Being discussed on 98.7

I mean, even if the interview is a facade to meet Rooney Rule requirements, why wouldn't you take it? There is literally nothing bad that can happen with that sort of interview. Worst case he gets practice, best case he gets a job a la Mike Tomlin.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I mean, even if the interview is a facade to meet Rooney Rule requirements, why wouldn't you take it?

most cases -- but Bienemy is prepping for a playoff game and time is limited.

As I understand HC interviews -- you need to show up with your plan for that team, ideas on use of personnel, etc. That means staring at some film, making the plan and the like.

Given he already has 4 ……

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’ve never heard of Eric Bieniemy? Really?

To be fair, I remember him best as a very good RB while at the University of Colorado. Not so much as the OC of the Chiefs. Just because Nagy appears to be a good young HC doesn't necessarily mean Bieniemy will too.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair, I remember him best as a very good RB while at the University of Colorado. Not so much as the OC of the Chiefs. Just because Nagy appears to be a good young HC doesn't necessarily mean Bieniemy will too.
As I said, Bieniemy is the offensive version of Wilks. A position coach who got a 1 year gig as a coordinator but didn't really call the shots.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don’t be shocked if Bieniemy isn’t just the first of a long list to say “no” to the Cards.
So dramatic, and so off base. First, you assume there is a long list to begin with. That isn't true. Second, there are 32 NFL Head Coach jobs so they will NEVER have a problem filling that position. Third, Bienemy, as of right now, isn't even a real candidate for anyone, he knows it, and he will be holding Andy Reid's purse for the foreseeable future. He had no chance of getting this job much less succeeding giving his lack of experience.

You can look at everything like a soap opera or reality.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What if every minority candidate refuses an interview? Are the Cards forbidden from hiring a coach until they do?

DUH !!!

Obviously not.

And what do you think the odds are that every black coach in the NFL and in major College programs would refuse an interview?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You’re right it doesn’t. But to ignore the success of TWO of his predecessors in his role (Nagy AND the reigning Superbowl coach, Pederson) seems somewhat foolhardy. I throw that out there with a grain of salt given bieniemy only held OC title a single year compared to 2 for Nagy and multiple for Pederson.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson