The Grayson Allen thread

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Right? Seems Sparky may be the only one with an agenda as he’s seeking some slight that doesn’t exist.
I don't think there has been much negative talk about him since the season started, but there certainly were people firmly against getting him at the time of the trade. Despite the fact that all of the stuff they didn't like him for was pretty far in the past for the most part.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there has been much negative talk about him since the season started, but there certainly were people firmly against getting him at the time of the trade. Despite the fact that all of the stuff they didn't like him for was pretty far in the past for the most part.
Yeah there were several of us (mostly college basketball junkies) that weren't thrilled by the acquisition. And when you're talking about a well-established pattern of behavior, 4 or 5 years removed from that behavior doesn't feel all that "far in the past". As far as I'm concerned he's earned his clean slate with us but that doesn't mean he didn't also earn his reputation.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah there were several of us (mostly college basketball junkies) that weren't thrilled by the acquisition. And when you're talking about a well-established pattern of behavior, 4 or 5 years removed from that behavior doesn't feel all that "far in the past". As far as I'm concerned he's earned his clean slate with us but that doesn't mean he didn't also earn his reputation.
I know this board has gone through this argument before, but what you do at 18-22 years old (outside of legitimately evil crimes of course) shouldn't have to stick with you until you are in your late 20s.

The same thing happens with a players weaknesses as well as plenty of people will tell you that Booker is a horrible defender even though he has actually been solid on that end for years now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this board has gone through this argument before, but what you do at 18-22 years old (outside of legitimately evil crimes of course) shouldn't have to stick with you until you are in your late 20s.

The same thing happens with a players weaknesses as well as plenty of people will tell you that Booker is a horrible defender even though he has actually been solid on that end for years now.
C'mon, that's not the same. And despite the way you've framed it, it's not like he was 18 doing these things and 29 when we traded for him - he was doing it at 22 or 23 and was still only 27 when we made the trade.

I'm willing to accept that he's turned the corner and not the same person that repeatedly tripped unsuspecting opponents. But I'm not willing to accept that it was typical kid's stuff. I've watched a lot of college basketball and can count on one hand the number of times I've seen equivalent behavior in college basketball from players not named Grayson. And when you do something like that more than once or even twice, it should be no surprise that people remember it and judge accordingly.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I imagine he'll be re-signed and if he is the Suns need to tell him to work on his ball handling and passing all summer. If he could become more of a combo guard he'd be invaluable and part of a big 4 here. He helps a lot but as seen with Royce O'Neale that NBA level players thrive next to 2-3 stars. Unfortunately we only have 4 NBA level rotation players outside of the big 3, those being Nurkic, Allen, O'Neale, and Gordon.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine he'll be re-signed and if he is the Suns need to tell him to work on his ball handling and passing all summer. If he could become more of a combo guard he'd be invaluable and part of a big 4 here. He helps a lot but as seen with Royce O'Neale that NBA level players thrive next to 2-3 stars. Unfortunately we only have 4 NBA level rotation players outside of the big 3, those being Nurkic, Allen, O'Neale, and Gordon.
Suns need to resign him regardless. He has been integral. I am hoping they don't need to ask him to do that because the Suns would have figured out a way to get their hands on another guard by next season. Have no clue how but I am hoping.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think Bol Bol may become the 5th

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
The rotation (barring injury) seems pretty set looking at the minutes and hearing what Frank's been saying:
Book
Beal
KD
Allen
Nurk
Gordon
O'Neale
Bol

With a minor sprinkling of Eubanks, Okogie, and Young; who might get a bit more playing time with foul trouble or with specific matchups. I'd still like to see Nas get a bit more run (specifically in the minutes that Okogie would get) but admittedly, he hasn't shown a whole lot when he's out there.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rotation (barring injury) seems pretty set looking at the minutes and hearing what Frank's been saying:
Book
Beal
KD
Allen
Nurk
Gordon
O'Neale
Bol

With a minor sprinkling of Eubanks, Okogie, and Young; who might get a bit more playing time with foul trouble or with specific matchups. I'd still like to see Nas get a bit more run (specifically in the minutes that Okogie would get) but admittedly, he hasn't shown a whole lot when he's out there.
I remember Gambo saying the Suns are looking for a solid 8, possibly 9 man rotation. So this checks.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
Allen has earned his spot in the starting 5,,,,good for 7/8 minutes before giving him a short blow. Awesome shooter, positive at the FT line, and hasn't been a problem with injuries like others have been. Resign him, and an extension.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Allen, and either way I'm not sure the Phoenix Suns can "Afford" to let valuable assets leave without a trade. That said, against a lot of players out there he's a liability defensively. He tries, but he isn't very long and he doesn't have quick feet.

How much is too much to pay him?

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I like Allen, and either way I'm not sure the Phoenix Suns can "Afford" to let valuable assets leave without a trade. That said, against a lot of players out there he's a liability defensively. He tries, but he isn't very long and he doesn't have quick feet.

How much is too much to pay him?
In a vaccum, having him defensively isn't the end of the world. He's still a pretty smart team defender and his hands are pretty good if the ball is exposed at all.

But in a lineup with Beal and Booker, it becomes problematic at times as one of those 3 has to defend the best guard on the other team, and in teams like Dallas it becomes even more dicey.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In a vaccum, having him defensively isn't the end of the world. He's still a pretty smart team defender and his hands are pretty good if the ball is exposed at all.

But in a lineup with Beal and Booker, it becomes problematic at times as one of those 3 has to defend the best guard on the other team, and in teams like Dallas it becomes even more dicey.
To be fair no one really defends Luka well he’s just a mismatch and gets away with using his body way to much…