The Grayson Allen thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a double-edged sword.

He was asked this question directly at the media day, and I was pretty impressed with his answer. He owned his play at Duke. Admitted his immaturity. Pointed to how much better--but not perfect--he is doing in the NBA. Said he is going to try to live the rep down with his play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want Grayson Allen, the competitor. Don't want him to tone this down. The Suns could use another Raja Bell type player.

It may be unintentional, but he does give off looks that can get him in trouble. It reminds me a bit of Danny Ainge.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A competent outside shooter is not a bad thing for us. I Just remember games or multiple games where Book had no help and guys just chucking bricks! With the trio guys are gonna get some seriously open looks and need to put them down. I feel like with Gordon, Watanbe, Allen, Okogie, and the trio themselves we have a number of guys that can go off from deep, more than I can remember in along time. I am more excited for this season more than any for years! Just pumped can we start already….

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A competent outside shooter is not a bad thing for us. I Just remember games or multiple games where Book had no help and guys just chucking bricks! With the trio guys are gonna get some seriously open looks and need to put them down. I feel like with Gordon, Watanbe, Allen, Okogie, and the trio themselves we have a number of guys that can go off from deep, more than I can remember in along time. I am more excited for this season more than any for years! Just pumped can we start already….

Settle down there

Allen looks like a beefed up version of DJ Qualls

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a double-edged sword.

He was asked this question directly at the media day, and I was pretty impressed with his answer. He owned his play at Duke. Admitted his immaturity. Pointed to how much better--but not perfect--he is doing in the NBA. Said he is going to try to live the rep down with his play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I absolutely agree that Allen displayed masterclass maturity. Admit it, own it, try to do better is the recipe for success in any job with any mistake.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely agree that Allen displayed masterclass maturity. Admit it, own it, try to do better is the recipe for success in any job with any mistake.

And then still try to get away with it from time to time.

Sorry… every elite team has an agitator or two on them to frustrate the other team and get them into their heads and take away focus from the game.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And then still try to get away with it from time to time.

Sorry… every elite team has an agitator or two on them to frustrate the other team and get them into their heads and take away focus from the game.

This ain't who he is though. He does not poke and prod and try to get a reaction, instead, he is the one who flips out.

If he can behave and make threes and help run the offense, great, but the notion that he is some hard nosed, tough kid is a joke. He is only physical when taking cheap shots, outside of those situations he is a cream puff.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Sign me up - love what I've seen so far on both sides of the court - battling Okogie for playing time and kept getting Okogie the ball - good stuff - pesky defense - nice shot too - who cares if he has a little dennis rodman in him - he's not even on that level - he's not even on Beverley's level - that's why he doesn't get shipped around like yesterdays drama - he's a valuable asset and I'm guessing Vogel already loves him

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This ain't who he is though. He does not poke and prod and try to get a reaction, instead, he is the one who flips out.

If he can behave and make threes and help run the offense, great, but the notion that he is some hard nosed, tough kid is a joke. He is only physical when taking cheap shots, outside of those situations he is a cream puff.
Agree to disagree. He’s poor man’s Danny Ainge.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree to disagree. He’s poor man’s Danny Ainge.
Yep. I agree with you. There is also a huge difference between the Grayson Allen today at 28 years old and the player he was when he was at Duke in 2016. People watch youtube clips and think that is the same guy. I doubt anyone on the board was the same guy at 28 that he was at 20.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. I agree with you. There is also a huge difference between the Grayson Allen today at 28 years old and the player he was when he was at Duke in 2016. People watch youtube clips and think that is the same guy. I doubt anyone on the board was the same guy at 28 that he was at 20.
Many of us are college basketball fans and we didn't just watch clips either. Regardless, I really like what I've seen from him as a player with us so I truly hope he's matured and is no longer that person I remember. It's been my experience that people like he'd shown himself to be rarely turn it around but on the plus side, rarely doesn't mean never.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m going to disagree with whomever said he’s not an ainge level irritant just blows up. Last night he was physical and was having the foot jousting bout on a jump ball - that’s classic ainge irritant stuff.

I believe one of the commentators went so far as to mention the word “all star” which had me laughing. But he is a very good player. Not just a spot up shooter. He’s very skilled and physical.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
There was one play last night - Portland player shot the ball - paint was pretty much empty - another Portland player was heading to the rim for the possible rebound and Grayson just bodied him - didn't exactly box him out but they bumped shoulders on their way to the rim

Anyways - the mini collision sent the Portland player under the basket - and the rebound ended up being grabbed by a Suns player - it was definitely because Grayson did just enough - which won't show up on a stat sheet but that's the type of play the DeAndre's of the NBA don't even think to make

That's the type tho - effecting the play at all times - even without the ball - maximum effort

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to disagree with whomever said he’s not an ainge level irritant just blows up. Last night he was physical and was having the foot jousting bout on a jump ball - that’s classic ainge irritant stuff.

I believe one of the commentators went so far as to mention the word “all star” which had me laughing. But he is a very good player. Not just a spot up shooter. He’s very skilled and physical.
Yeah, I understood Pbit's point but I don't think it tells the whole story. His history of dirty play that several of us are concerned about had nothing to do with playing physically. But I can see him being an irritant and pushing the line like Ainge and others have done and as long as he keeps his on court transgressions to basketball plays, even questionable ones, most of us will like have no issues with him.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson