The Grayson Allen thread

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I was skeptical to the signing, but I reckon if he stays away from dirty play and cheap shots, it is all in the past, there's nothing to be done about that. Hope that continues :thumbup:

Good luck, Grayson!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was skeptical to the signing, but I reckon if he stays away from dirty play and cheap shots, it is all in the past, there's nothing to be done about that. Hope that continues :thumbup:

Good luck, Grayson!
I'm hopeful that he's put it in the past but I'll remain a little skeptical for another decade or two. I put him in the "fool me once, shame on you - fool me 13 times, shame on me" category. But to be clear, he's never been the volume dirty player that someone like Beverley has been, it's always been about the level of inappropriateness of his dirty plays. In the past Grayson has gone for half a season or more without going psycho on a player whereas Beverley is going to deliver a cheap shot or two every game.

So far though, he's been everything we could hope for.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn lol
Honestly, if you followed college basketball closely I suspect a "being a little skeptical for a couple of decades" would seem quite reasonable. I've been a basketball fan for most of my life and I've never seen a player at any level that repeatedly committed the kind of acts that Grayson did.

One of my favorite college players, who has become one of my favorite people, had a foul that I'd put in Grayson's class. I don't believe the guy he elbowed in the face (Jepson) was ever a factor in a game again, it was that bad. It took several years for me to look past that cheap shot and to the best of my knowledge that was Gene Edgerson's only serious transgression. Grayson usually committed 2 or 3 of those every season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Honestly, if you followed college basketball closely I suspect a "being a little skeptical for a couple of decades" would seem quite reasonable. I've been a basketball fan for most of my life and I've never seen a player at any level that repeatedly committed the kind of acts that Grayson did.

One of my favorite college players, who has become one of my favorite people, had a foul that I'd put in Grayson's class. I don't believe the guy he elbowed in the face (Jepson) was ever a factor in a game again, it was that bad. It took several years for me to look past that cheap shot and to the best of my knowledge that was Gene Edgerson's only serious transgression. Grayson usually committed 2 or 3 of those every season.
Except people tend to have a lot of growth from the time they are 18-21 and 26+ years old. He is on record as acknowledging his poor behavior in the past and has matured a lot since then.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except people tend to have a lot of growth from the time they are 18-21 and 26+ years old. He is on record as acknowledging his poor behavior in the past and has matured a lot since then.
And he was on record acknowledging his poor behavior time and again while in college. I can't fault that aspect of his past but then he'd turn around and do it again a month or two later. I don't want to keep bashing this young man and I really do hope he's matured past this behavior but only time will tell.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And he was on record acknowledging his poor behavior time and again while in college. I can't fault that aspect of his past but then he'd turn around and do it again a month or two later. I don't want to keep bashing this young man and I really do hope he's matured past this behavior but only time will tell.
His NBA career has been nothing like his college career. You should at least acknowledge that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've been concentrating specifically on his college career. And you are right about his college career, but you don't seem to give him much credit for his history outside of those couple years at Duke.
Well, like I've said, repeatedly, I'm hopeful he's grown past it. And so far, so good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Have to acknowledge that Grayson isn’t just a shooter—I’m really surprised at how well rounded he is as a player.

He is unquestionably the 5th starter when Beal returns, whenever that will be.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think he must be on Xanax or something since he got here. He got knocked down in the air tonight and just got up with no reaction. He's been a perfect citizen so far.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think he must be on Xanax or something since he got here. He got knocked down in the air tonight and just got up with no reaction. He's been a perfect citizen so far.
Is it just me or does it seem the other way around at times? I know I'm a Suns fan and all but players play him dirty - might just be me

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it is far more likely that just as he has said his reputation is undeserved as he hasn't really done anything he considers dirty since college.

I see a lot of that going on - people being given a reputation in public that isn't really deserved.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I will always hate Duke. But this dude is growing on me!

Absolutely the 5th starter when we are healthy.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Grayson Allen first Sun in Suns history to hit 9 threes in multiple games - and we've had a lot of three point shooters - still haven't seen any dirty mcnurty - maybe we should call this the Grayson Allen appreciation thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grayson Allen first Sun in Suns history to hit 9 threes in multiple games - and we've had a lot of three point shooters - still haven't seen any dirty mcnurty - maybe we should call this the Grayson Allen appreciation thread
Nor have I. I'll probably always remain a little leery of him but he's become one of my favorite players on this team and I never saw that coming.