CFP and the Future of a College Football

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, the writing is on the wall. The current CFP deals ends in 2025. After that there is no CFP. There is your moment. That is likely when there is a fairly seismic change. SEC and B1G will likely secede from the current setup and do their own thing.

Currently there are 34 tabs in those two conferences that likely break off. I suspect, at most, they move up to 48 but frankly I expect them to move forward with fewer. Initially, I think they may add 6 more teams and run a 3-5 year TV deal and reevaluate at that point.

Point is, we know when the next round of chaos is slated to begin.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pretty sure that the B1G and SEC football committee will look out for the best interests of sports at all institutions. :sarcasm:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
So, the writing is on the wall. The current CFP deals ends in 2025. After that there is no CFP. There is your moment. That is likely when there is a fairly seismic change. SEC and B1G will likely secede from the current setup and do their own thing.

Currently there are 34 tabs in those two conferences that likely break off. I suspect, at most, they move up to 48 but frankly I expect them to move forward with fewer. Initially, I think they may add 6 more teams and run a 3-5 year TV deal and reevaluate at that point.

Point is, we know when the next round of chaos is slated to begin.
Indeed. I bet they settle in at 40 teams - add Notre Dame, Florida St, Clemson, North Carolina, Miami and one more lucky draw with a recently good football program (Va Tech? Utah?).

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So a new development for college football. There is a working group put together that includes some administrative people and an NFL rep who are developing a new world order for college football. 70 teams with an additional 10 that will be subject to promotion and relegation.

They will be in 8, 10 team divisions with each division winner getting an auto bid to playoff and then an additional 8 wildcards to fill out the 16 team field.

It sounds like players will be under contract to play and there might be a salary cap involved.

It goes under the working title CST which, I think, stands for college sports tomorrow

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
So a new development for college football. There is a working group put together that includes some administrative people and an NFL rep who are developing a new world order for college football. 70 teams with an additional 10 that will be subject to promotion and relegation.

They will be in 8, 10 team divisions with each division winner getting an auto bid to playoff and then an additional 8 wildcards to fill out the 16 team field.

It sounds like players will be under contract to play and there might be a salary cap involved.

It goes under the working title CST which, I think, stands for college sports tomorrow
I like this plan, and I had personally thought of something similar months ago - although my scheme was ten 10-team divisions, divided by region. It would have essentially kept all of the traditional mainstream programs intact.

I wonder what will happen with the old bowl games under this plan? Really, they should just eliminate whichever ones won't be involved in the playoff. The rest are just a waste of time at this point.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like this plan, and I had personally thought of something similar months ago - although my scheme was ten 10-team divisions, divided by region. It would have essentially kept all of the traditional mainstream programs intact.

I wonder what will happen with the old bowl games under this plan? Really, they should just eliminate whichever ones won't be involved in the playoff. The rest are just a waste of time at this point.
I presume some bowls will continue to exist to scoop up any 6 win teams who don’t fall within the Big 80. I also presume that the first two rounds of CFP in this plan will be played on the higher seed home field. Semis and you would certainly think the championship game itself will be played in a bowl rotation like it is now.

Currently the Big 4 conference will have about 65 teams total so presumably all would be included initially. I am guessing WSU and OSU would get into the initial grouping of 80. So, if this plan comes to fruition, another 13 teams would be needed to fill out the remainder of the field

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard