The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Not sure why Q is complaining. He got his money thanks to the Suns overpaying him. They gave him the exact deal they wouldn’t give JJ who was younger and had a higher ceiling.

also, Q is smoking crack if he thinks it was a 6 year 36 million dollar contract.

Didn't Q's engagement to Brandy fizzle after he left? He moved to NYC IIRC but she was an LA girl from the start.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting he's playing better now that he's been moved off the ball, playing as a SG in OKC. I think his future is as a combo guard rather than a PG or SG, sort of like a Malcolm Brogdan type. I didn't see this coming from him. I thought he was more in the Michael Carter-Williams mold than Brogdan. He's a much better athlete and shooter than MCW and he has much better court vision than Brogdan.

Right now it looks like he'll be the best piece to be had from the Westbrook/PG-13 deals. I know they got a ton of picks headed their way but I think they'll have better luck trading them for something rather than cashing in. They have too many and they'll be mid to late 1st's for the most part.

Shai can play both guard positions so we agree he can be a combo guard. If I were OKC, I'd keep him and use him as a core piece going forward. As you mention, they already have a lot of draft picks. It would have been exciting to see Shai and Booker play together though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he thought was in practice?:shrug:

The last time I saw someone dribbling the ball inbounds was Lamar Odom.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Everyone is entitled to a brain fart now and then. Some are bigger than others.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Ronin

I guess there is a right way to talk about it and a wrong way.

Leonard sat out the first of a back-to-back set of games for the second time this season on Wednesday night when the Clippers lost to the Milwaukee Bucks. The NBA made it clear that the Clippers were compliant with league rules and the team's decision to sit the All Star for load management of a knee injury.

But Rivers was asked several questions before the game about Leonard and his health. The coach told the media that Leonard "feels great" and that there is no reason to be concerned and that the team has to make sure Leonard stays feeling great. The NBA then fined the Clippers for statements, include those by Rivers, that were inconsistent with Leonard's health while also detailing Leonard's knee injury.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ppers-50000-doc-rivers-comments-kawhi-leonard

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Here's a view of what happened: Kawhi Leonard is private. He doesn't want his injury information public. Only, it has to be public for the Clippers to escape league punishment on violating resting rules. Doc Rivers was trying to be supportive of Leonard. They'll take the fine.

4:04 PM - 7 Nov 2019

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I see people having fun with that on Twitter. The league did the Clippers a solid by saying Kawhi wasn't healthy and Doc saying he's fine and it's rest is what caused the league to fine him. It's a bit ridiculous. If I were Doc, I'd make Kawhi pay the fine. He'll make more than that for a game check.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad to see the Charlotte fans and arena crew is classy enough to show Kemba Walker support when he returned to play with Boston. The first and last time a former players should be celebrated, provided they left on decent terms.

One of the saddest things I remember seeing as a basketball fan was how Jordan was introduced when he returned to Chicago as a member of the Wizards. Their PA announcer's intro for him as a Bull was fantastic and helped build Jordan's presence some. Hearing it be done by the same guy in a monotone way with no details whatsoever seemed wrong.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad to see the Charlotte fans and arena crew is classy enough to show Kemba Walker support when he returned to play with Boston. The first and last time a former players should be celebrated, provided they left on decent terms.

One of the saddest things I remember seeing as a basketball fan was how Jordan was introduced when he returned to Chicago as a member of the Wizards. Their PA announcer's intro for him as a Bull was fantastic and helped build Jordan's presence some. Hearing it be done by the same guy in a monotone way with no details whatsoever seemed wrong.

Yeah jordon brought six rings though. Kemba probably doesn’t have more than a single generation of fans.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe he thought was in practice?:shrug:

The last time I saw someone dribbling the ball inbounds was Lamar Odom.

I could swear one of the NBA's resident knuckleheads, JR Smith or Javale McGee, did something like this recently.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could swear one of the NBA's resident knuckleheads, JR Smith or Javale McGee, did something like this recently.

Yeah, we've definitely seen it before but I don't think we've seen very many point guards do it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Mike Fratello will coach a USA Basketball entry for two games of FIBA World Cup qualifying vs. Puerto Rico in February, sources tell ESPN. This is an initial qualifying event for the 2023 Cup. Team USA will be comprised of G League players.

12:42 PM - 8 Nov 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kawhi Leonard reportedly shocked by NBA releasing details of his injury.

"I mean it was shocking, but it doesn't matter to me," Leonard said when asked what he thought about the NBA revealing details about his injury. "I'm not a guy that reads the media anyway. We're going to manage it the best way we can to keep me healthy and that's the most important thing, me being healthy moving forward."

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/256074/Kawhi-Leonard-Shocked-NBA-Revealed-Details-Of-Injury

Another link to story.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28033115/kawhi-leonard-dominates-4th-shocked-nba-detailed-injury

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do in 3 weeks what the Suns should have at some point over the last 3 years. Bender should stay in the G-League until he learns he has skills and how to apply them.

We agree on this. Still if the Suns had an open slot on their roster I think he could help with Ayton out.

Kaminsky and Diallo are having their problems. Even Saric has struggled to produce.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do in 3 weeks what the Suns should have at some point over the last 3 years. Bender should stay in the G-League until he learns he has skills and how to apply them.

We absolutely should have done it from the start but then again, it's a lot easier to send down some other team's castoff than it is the number 4 pick.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We absolutely should have done it from the start but then again, it's a lot easier to send down some other team's castoff than it is the number 4 pick.

I get the idea but at the same time Cleveland sent Anthony Bennett down in year 1 of his career. That should have killed the idea that high picks shouldn't be assigned to the G-League. I think the league should offer some incentive for teams to send guys down, like the league pays their salary while assigned, up to 25% or something.

I'm just making something up for the sake of discussion right now that might lure a team into sending a guy down who needs that seasoning. The player makes money still, the team saves some cash, their deal still counts against the cap the same so other teams shouldn't care. Everyone wins, in a way.

You would think that would increase attendance and viewership for the G-League also since guys worth watching are there. That's part of the issue now, not enough names are there. If I knew I could see Cam play for 30 minutes in Prescott Valley, I'd plan the trip right now. I want to see Lecque play so I'm thinking about going at some point this season but the more players I know, the more likely I am to make that trip. I would imagine other fans feel similarly when it comes to the G-League team associated with their pro team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We agree on this. Still if the Suns had an open slot on their roster I think he could help with Ayton out.

Kaminsky and Diallo are having their problems. Even Saric has struggled to produce.
Saric and Kaminsky are still better than Bender, even performing like they are.