The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Aug 1, 2019.

1. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Jason Kidd couldn't hit the broad side of a barn his first three years in the league. he was still one of the best PGs in the game. Simmons makes that entire offense go. He's definitely a top 5 PG, IMO.

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

If Woulda Coulda Shoulda ever applies.

The Suns could have drafted Luol Deng but traded the pick which saved money.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Luol Deng has retired from basketball after 15 NBA seasons and signed a contract to retire as a Chicago Bull. The two-time All-Star spent his first nine-plus seasons in Chicago and then played for Miami, Lakers and Minnesota.

11:16 AM - 17 Oct 2019

3. RON_IN_OC

RON_IN_OC https://www.ronevansrealty.com

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

uh... our media bashes the Suns all the time moron.

BC867 likes this.
  5. Mainstreet

It is reported Zion will miss weeks to start the season.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

A severe injury has been ruled out for Zion Williamson’s right knee, but he is expected to miss period of weeks to start regular season, league sources tell ESPN. Pels are clearly treating injury with an abundance of caution but there’s no shortage of confidence on full recovery.

8:37 AM - 18 Oct 2019

6. Mainstreet

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: The Golden State Warriors are waiving forward Alfonzo McKinnie, clearing way for Marquese Chriss to make regular-season roster. McKinnie will be one of the top available players on market.

9:21 AM - 18 Oct 2019

7. 95pro

95pro Registered

No surprises there. A lot of people speculated this happening. I'd wouldn't be surprised if this was a non-contact injury.

8. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Wow. Never saw that coming. McKinnie has been slated as their starting SF to start the season. Disregard my post on the other thread, but this is very surprising.

9. Mainstreet

If the Suns had room... which they don't... they are third on waiver wire claims.

10. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

They like Robinson Jr and as I mentioned in the offseason they are planning on playing Klay at the 3 when he comes back at least initially because they think he won't have to guard as many quick guards(like Lillard) until he's closer to 100% recovered.

There's been talk for about a week now in the Bay area that it might happen, they needed the money to keep Chriss and McKinnie made the most sense.

Article in the Athletic says age was also a big part, he's 5 years younger than McKinnie(22 to 27) and the Warriors valued that as they're reloading right now.

11. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Yup, as we've posted, that's a lot of weight to put on those knees and ankles.

'Didn't expect it to happen so soon but, I guess, even preparing for an NBA
    season is a lot different than preparing for a college season.

12. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Welp, their funeral.

13. Russ Smith

Yeah we'll see he's been really good in the preseason but obviously has a track record that's not good.

There's a certain in the right culture he'll do better thinking too but honestly it's too early to know what sort of culture the Warriors have. Curry, Klay and Draymond are basically it, guys like Iggy, Bogut and Livingston were big lockerroom leader guys and they're all gone. Draymond's a leader on the court but I'm not sure it's someone you want mentoring a kid like Chriss !

14. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

I don't think Draymond would be an issue as a mentor if Iggy and Livingston were still there. That way they can play the elder stateman type of role to see to it that Green is doing things right.

I'm still surprised they decided to move on from Iggy. I believe that was a factor in Livingston retiring. He decided to call it a career kind of late. You would think he would have done so sooner so they could have found a better replacement for him but I have a feeling we don't know the whole story behind that departure.

15. Russ Smith

Iggy was a tough one it was rumored for awhile but I think he really wanted to stay and they really wanted to keep him, just didn't have the money. My understanding with Livingston is it took him awhile to accept he was done. It was pretty apparent he was done but I think he wanted one more go. Even Iggy with his back it was just too hard. The Lakers or Clips would be perfect for him because they won't need him that much in the regular season so they can save him for the playoffs. With the Warriors they were going to need him to play more in the regular season.

Iggy became one of my all time favorite Warrior players, there were times he drove me nuts passing up layups to kick the ball out etc, but he was the consummate team guy. Defended, passed the ball, came off the bench etc great guy.

on the current roster there are really 3 guys who've been through it. I know Draymond has taken Chriss under his wing and I know Curry likes him too but it's a different roster now it's not clear yet if the culture will be anywhere near as good as it was in the past. Let's face it winning cures lots of things. Even then last year they had a toxic situation for months because of the beef with Dray and Durant.