The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lebron would probably benefit more than any other player if the CBA were tossed out the window. I'm not saying that's why he's so quick to call for this boycott but the repercussions of it won't effect him as much as others. I find it interesting that he's trying to lead this charge though when he's been silent or second to speak up in past instances.

Perhaps it's the best position for him to take with 28 teams wanting to continue play.

He can take a stronger position against owners if he supports not playing.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's odd that this is being called a boycott. This is clearly a labor strike. It may be semantics but the word boycott was chosen carefully and every beat writer is going along with it. I bet a strike has significant consequences.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's odd that this is being called a boycott. This is clearly a labor strike. It may be semantics but the word boycott was chosen carefully and every beat writer is going along with it. I bet a strike has significant consequences.

it’s conspiracy to make those damned Black people look like victims, right? The real victim is the “vigilante” who was forced to kill people because they were out of control!

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
2020. I'm not the oldest person on this board but can anyone name a worse year that they've seen in American history, I moved to another country for work before the year started but man I feel for you guys and my family back home. And it's only getting worse, I hope none of you are in the path of this upcoming hurricane because it's going to be a disaster so if you are evacuate immediately do not stay. I'm not black but my 5 year old nephew is and it broke my heart to hear him say he wants to hide from police today.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2020. I'm not the oldest person on this board but can anyone name a worse year that they've seen in American history, I moved to another country for work before the year started but man I feel for you guys and my family back home. And it's only getting worse, I hope none of you are in the path of this upcoming hurricane because it's going to be a disaster so if you are evacuate immediately do not stay. I'm not black but my 5 year old nephew is and it broke my heart to hear him say he wants to hide from police today.

this looks like the end of the world for Americans. I hope it’s the beginning of a better one.

massive overhaul and reckoning is long overdue in this country. And it’s going to be ugly and painful, but anything really worth fighting for usually is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Our family personally had a tough year - an anomaly for us (an ex-girlfriend once described my family’s existence as “Oz” is a good way) - but nothing tops this year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
this looks like the end of the world for Americans. I hope it’s the beginning of a better one.

massive overhaul and reckoning is long overdue in this country. And it’s going to be ugly and painful, but anything really worth fighting for usually is.
Agreed. Growth is painful. Even as change comes it’s going to be difficult and likely dangerous.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I haven’t watched the NBA since Jordan retired & that won’t change. Who cares, bring on Big Red football

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your Dad gave you some good advice. If one wants to question police conduct, do it in court.

It is extremely difficult to pursue a civil case against the police. It requires extreme negligence, which has to be irrefutable (IE caught on tape), and even then there is "qualified immunity", they can basically say "I was trying to do my job", and it makes them and the department immune from civil sanctions.

Being a cop is a hard job, one that is getting harder by the day as communities are starting to openly loath you. But I think it would help them and everyone else if they accepted forms of outside oversight.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is extremely difficult to pursue a civil case against the police. It requires extreme negligence, which has to be irrefutable (IE caught on tape), and even then there is "qualified immunity", they can basically say "I was trying to do my job", and it makes them and the department immune from civil sanctions.

Being a cop is a hard job, one that is getting harder by the day as communities are starting to openly loath you. But I think it would help them and everyone else if they accepted forms of outside oversight.

Mostly I'm referring to not arguing with an officer. For example, if you are pulled over for something like a traffic violation, say what you have to say politely. If they give you a ticket and you think it is unfair, go to traffic court and give the judge your defense. It's amazing how small things can escalate.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damian Lillard will leave campus to have knee examined.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleveland sports franchises are trying to address social injustice issue.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am a minority. Just some tips to be transparent with officers. I've never met any that were "out to get me".

Pull over to a safe spot for both of you. Signal, turn on blinkers. Put in park.

Roll down all your windows, turn on interior lights (at night).

Have documents ready: lic, insurance, registration. Dont be fumbling around the glove compartment as they approach.

The latest incident, this guy was already in a scuffle and attempts to subdue him were unsuccessful, even the taser. He had a restraining order on him i believe. Once again, i'm guess, but he was most likely on a controlled substance for non-lethals to be effective on him.

The players, i feel that them taking this approach, to me, implies that they're after something other than stand up for justice. Their employer went to great lengths already to get them back to their jobs very safely almost at no expense. The NBA has also given them great freedom to express their agenda, just look at the jerseys. Its a little too much now to just up and quit games right in the middle of the playoffs. As stated before, all this just to reach a certain demographic.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a minority. Just some tips to be transparent with officers. I've never met any that were "out to get me".

Pull over to a safe spot for both of you. Signal, turn on blinkers. Put in park.

Roll down all your windows, turn on interior lights (at night).

Have documents ready: lic, insurance, registration. Dont be fumbling around the glove compartment as they approach.

I think the above is good advice for anyone being pulled over by police, not just minorities.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the above is good advice for anyone being pulled over by police, not just minorities.

It works great at check points too. This is assuming you have nothing to hide.

Those that don't do so are looking very suspicious, just saying.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday started with the Bucks not leaving the locker room to play a game and it turned into something much more.

Here is an excerpt from an ESPN article:

The Bucks had leapt without really looking where their protest would take the NBA. There was no consultation with any other players. No coordination with the league or players' union. The Magic were still warming up on the court, preparing to play.

When it became clear the Bucks weren't coming out of their locker room in time for the game, a league official walked by reporters and remarked, "Wow. This is really a moment."

Inside the locker room, Bucks players were on a Zoom call with Wisconsin lieutenant governor Mandela Barnes and attorney general Josh Kaul, which had been facilitated by team owner Marc Lasry and senior vice president, Alex Lasry.

This story was reported and written by ESPN's Ramona Shelburne, The Undefeated's Marc J. Spears, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, Malika Andrews and Zach Lowe.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29750724/inside-hectic-hours-historic-nba-boycott

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have had guns pulled on me by officers. I've had an officer grab the handle of his gun while yelling at me. I have had a Sargent of a Sheriff's office tell me that when an angry drunk neighbor came into my drive way to yell at my wife and very young child, "If it was me, I would have put two in his chest." People are people. Just think of the trolls online and how people are behving uncivil and unpolite on society now. Now apply that to people walking around with guns. We need to regain civility and understand we all are living in a society, which means more than just abiding laws, it means there is a social responsibility for your behavior as well.

Last edited: