The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then that’s exactly why they are considering it.

I don't know about the others but when Powell was at UCLA I remember him talking about how his mom had been active in civil rights protests when she was younger. Weird situation for me I'm so happy for Norm having such a good year and a big role on the Raptors but I'm also quite proud of him wanting to take a stand politically.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA owners and front offices did not see boycott coming.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA players to call a meeting to discuss next step.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today's games reportedly to be rescheduled.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA owners and front offices did not see boycott coming.

how could they not have? I mean I pointed out this morning it might happen just from seeing someone mention Powell talking about it on a UCLA board.

Powell, Van Vleet, Marcus Smart all of them were openly saying the players were considering taking more action.

I hope they're a bit organized, you don't want to just protest without any actual goals behind it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how could they not have? I mean I pointed out this morning it might happen just from seeing someone mention Powell talking about it on a UCLA board.

Powell, Van Vleet, Marcus Smart all of them were openly saying the players were considering taking more action.

I hope they're a bit organized, you don't want to just protest without any actual goals behind it.

It would suggest a disconnect between players and owners.

I think coaches like Doc Rivers has the pulse of the players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every NBA player is invited to an 8 p.m. meeting tonight in bubble.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emotions are reported as raw among players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am white skinned. My dad was a person of color. He was also in law enforcement. He sat me down to have that talk that most dad's of color have with their sons. He said he did not trust law enforcement people with being safety minded. He told me it was life and death whenever I came across a law enforcement officer. He said keep my hands up in plain view, no sudden movements, if they say get down, get the F down! Imagine him in law enforcemnt not trusting law enforcement officers. Blew my mind. What do people of color do to get this to stop? Seriously? I love basketball, but if we have to miss some games, so be it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am white skinned. My dad was a person of color. He was also in law enforcement. He sat me down to have that talk that most dad's of color have with their sons. He said he did not trust law enforcement people with being safety minded. He told me it was life and death whenever I came across a law enforcement officer. He said keep my hands up in plain view, no sudden movements, if they say get down, get the F down! Imagine him in law enforcemnt not trusting law enforcement officers. Blew my mind. What do people of color do to get his to stop? Seriously? I love basketball, but if we have to miss some games, so be it.

Your Dad gave you some good advice. If one wants to question police conduct, do it in court.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a sizeable sentiment among players to finish season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bucks reportedly on conference call with Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul and Lieutenant Governor Mandela Barnes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your Dad gave you some good advice. If one wants to question police conduct, do it in court.

I agree but at the same time there are those who aren't ever given the chance to go to court because of how law enforcement acts. That's the real issue. Watch the George Floyd video, he was on the ground trying to breathe and alert the officer that he couldn't. He didn't try and attack anyone or make any sudden movements. That's just one case but it's happened time and time again where the "perpetrator" isn't ever given the opportunity to challenge the actions of the officer in court because that officer was trigger happy or decided to silence them in some other way.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

You're right! Police officers, as any other employees, are under pressure to
follow the examples of what they think their superiors want (or condone).

And to not stand out from their peers, thus all acting like sheep (with guns).

But when a person of color perceives that his life is in imminent danger, as
has been happening over and over, there is only one thought on his mind.
To not die.

You can't reason in an unreasonable situation. Why is there prejudice against
people of color? Because their ancestors lived closer to the Equator and
evolved with darker skin to protect them from the rays of the sun?

No, because bullies are simple-minded. They can recognize and single out
dark skinned victims vs. Caucasians. 'Doesn't require intelligence.

Again, you can't reason in an unreasonable situation.

I grew up facing prejudice. But, as a Caucasian, I could "pass" for mainstream.

My heart goes out to people of color who can't.

Just think about the terms White and Black. With the exception of albinos,
none of us are white and none of us are black.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bucks owners support players although they did not know beforehand about boycott.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am white skinned. My dad was a person of color. He was also in law enforcement. He sat me down to have that talk that most dad's of color have with their sons. He said he did not trust law enforcement people with being safety minded. He told me it was life and death whenever I came across a law enforcement officer. He said keep my hands up in plain view, no sudden movements, if they say get down, get the F down! Imagine him in law enforcemnt not trusting law enforcement officers. Blew my mind. What do people of color do to get this to stop? Seriously? I love basketball, but if we have to miss some games, so be it.

man, this says so much Yuma.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hard to do that if you're dead and shot in your sleep. or if a mob of white people killed you just for running through the neighborhood and then the cops and DA did NOTHING about it until a video was released MONTHS later of the murder.

also, mor often than not people don't even get their day in court against cops because DA's won't bring charges and when they do, they then face a criminal justice system that spits in their eye repeatedly. Change through "proper channels" has failed for centuries.

we're due for a revolution and that is probably the only way minorities get equal rights and protection under the law.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree but at the same time there are those who aren't ever given the chance to go to court because of how law enforcement acts. That's the real issue. Watch the George Floyd video, he was on the ground trying to breathe and alert the officer that he couldn't. He didn't try and attack anyone or make any sudden movements. That's just one case but it's happened time and time again where the "perpetrator" isn't ever given the opportunity to challenge the actions of the officer in court because that officer was trigger happy or decided to silence them in some other way.

well said.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hard to do that if you're dead and shot in your sleep. or if a mob of white people killed you just for running through the neighborhood and then the cops and DA did NOTHING about it until a video was released MONTHS later of the murder.

also, mor often than not people don't even get their day in court against cops because DA's won't bring charges and when they do, they then face a criminal justice system that spits in their eye repeatedly. Change through "proper channels" has failed for centuries.

we're due for a revolution and that is probably the only way minorities get equal rights and protection under the law.

I was referring to the underlined part of the conversation with Yuma.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenny Smith walks off TNT.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
To bring this full circle, what do you think Sarver would do if the Suns forfeit a game in protest? I'd like to think he would be OK with it. Not sure how AZ fans would take it as a whole.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose