The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Brilliant career move for KLove. Ohio will worship him. He loves them enough to stay. BTW, there are worse things the Cavs could do. Love does produce consistently. His numbers are going to go way up without LeBron there. A team can be built to complement him (though not necessarily around him). In the world of players chasing super teams and rings, KLove stays. Hats off.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 million per... for Love.

Good to see Cleveland making decisions that will hurl them right back to the bottom of the league forever.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cavs are a miserably ran franchise, they have been for ages. That team is going to blow next year and that contract is going to be a nightmare.

Good for Love, but that love the Cavs fans for him will evaporate when he's averaging 18-9 on a 25 win team and still owed 90 million bucks.

During the last 2 years of that deal he will be known as "Kevin Love's Contract".

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i thought Love was more of a drag than an asset on the Cavs for the past 3 years.
now, 4 more years at 30 mil per year as his efficiency goes down, not up, without Lebron?
madness

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Listen. In the world of players chasing trophies and super teams, it is absolutely refreshing that a player like Love will stick with Cleveland AND that they will stick with him. I hope it works out well for both of them. This is the opposite of Durant to the Warriors.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen. In the world of players chasing trophies and super teams, it is absolutely refreshing that a player like Love will stick with Cleveland AND that they will stick with him. I hope it works out well for both of them. This is the opposite of Durant to the Warriors.

there's probably nothing refreshing for Cleveland fans watching this team throw good money after bad.

Love is a mediocre player being paid like a superstar. That contract sucks, plain and simple.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
there's probably nothing refreshing for Cleveland fans watching this team throw good money after bad.

Love is a mediocre player being paid like a superstar. That contract sucks, plain and simple.
Do you think there are actual superstars lining up to play for the Cavs?

I don’t think they can even land other players of Love’s tier in free agency even if they had the cap space.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you think there are actual superstars lining up to play for the Cavs?

I don’t think they can even land other players of Love’s tier in free agency even if they had the cap space.
I doubt locking themselves into 25-30 wins a year will fix that problem.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's stop Love is not mediocre at all he's a legit all star big man and The version of Love playing with Lebron and the one who your gonna see without Lebron are two different players.

The contract is actually not bad at all when you consider the cap is going to keep going up.

This point was brought up what else was Cleveland going to do? Exactly.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's stop Love is not mediocre at all he's a legit all star big man and The version of Love playing with Lebron and the one who your gonna see without Lebron are two different players.

The contract is actually not bad at all when you consider the cap is going to keep going up.

This point was brought up what else was Cleveland going to do? Exactly.

Trade him and rebuild.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade him and rebuild.

And tell the fans what? They've gone through this in Cleveland before those were dark dark days. They got some contracts they can't really get out of for a couple years might aswell ride it out and be a playoff team in the east

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And tell the fans what? They've gone through this in Cleveland before those were dark dark days. They got some contracts they can't really get out of for a couple years might aswell ride it out and be a playoff team in the east

I feel really confident in saying that they're not going to the playoffs.

That team is going to be terrible.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah... we'll probably see shades of the same player he was in Minnesota who put up gaudy garbage time stats that never moved the needle whatsoever as far as wins were concerned.

Congrats Cleveland! You get to be the older version of the 2010-2013 Timberwolves!

They should have traded his ass for whatever draft oicks/assets they could, IMO. Only way that team EVER gets better is through the draft. FA ain't gonna be the ticket ever in Cleveland.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Love already got a ring so he doesn't need to go chasing after one. He's also in position for Cleveland to be his team now and get paid like he's their top star. Since he did help them win a ring he's earned a favorable spot within their team history and their fans like him. He'll help them sell tickets while they are awful. It's really not hard to see why Cleveland paid him like that. They needed to retain one of the big 3 who helped them win their title and Love was the last man standing. They won that title 3 years ago and last offseason they lost Kyrie and this offseason they lost Lebron. Locking in Love seems like a good move to sell to their fanbase.

In the East a Kevin Love team might be able to get the 8th seed. This makes it appear like management was able to retain a star, which they've failed to do before. For a team paying Tristan Thompson over $20 million a year, paying Love looks like an accomplishment.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns made a terrible mistake when they didn't do a full rebuild after the 2010 season. Instead they tried to patch things together and limp along for a few years, their old roster got older and lost most of it's trade value. We're only finally starting to see light at the end of the tunnel, a full 8 years later.

The Cavs are making the same mistake. That roster blows, Love can't lead them anywhere by himself, giving him that massive contract destroyed his trade value. If they're lucky they'll be putrid and get a top pick, accelerating the turnaround, but it's more likely that they'll limp around for a few years, winning 30-40 games, missing the playoffs and picking at the end of the lotto. Treading water, being depressing and bad and playing in a half empty arena.

If all they're worried about is 2018/19 season ticket renewals... then keeping Love makes sense, but I suspect their ticket sales and success are going to be hurt by this in the long run.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They just lost Lebron James for nothing. If the fans are expecting them to remain a playoff team, they don't know much about basketball.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Mediocre is a bit strong. He’s likely still an all star particularly with more stats now and in the east. He was an integral part of a team that reached the finals four straight years and won a championship. With losing lebron and kyrie I’m sure many Cleveland fans are happy to not lose everyone, though of the three I’m sure they’re least excited about retaining love. That said, that contract will quickly look hideous.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I feel really confident in saying that they're not going to the playoffs.

That team is going to be terrible.
Yeah agree with this. As bad as the east is that Cavs team ain’t snifffing the playoffs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They just lost Lebron James for nothing. If the fans are expecting them to remain a playoff team, they don't know much about basketball.
Most fan bases are typically delusional and stupid. Hardcore fans not so much. But general bases, yes.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah... we'll probably see shades of the same player he was in Minnesota who put up gaudy garbage time stats that never moved the needle whatsoever as far as wins were concerned.

Congrats Cleveland! You get to be the older version of the 2010-2013 Timberwolves!

They should have traded his ass for whatever draft oicks/assets they could, IMO. Only way that team EVER gets better is through the draft. FA ain't gonna be the ticket ever in Cleveland.

You just made the argument why to sign him. He's an all star and a name and bottom line they ain't gonna get any better name anytime soon.

You can't do the whole he didn't win in Minnestota. He didn't have a good team around him and no don't produce a bunch of average guys and try and tell me how they were better than given credit for.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson