The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's strange, I thought they loved him there. I get that he's a big body, but he has always seemed clumsy offensively to me.
The owner is trying to avoid the luxury tax.

Jake Fischer (@JakeLFischer)
6/19/19, 1:41 PM
Oklahoma City has increased its efforts this afternoon to shed salary along with the No. 21 pick en route to dodging luxury tax, league sources say. Steven Adams, Andre Roberson, Dennis Schroeder all very available at the moment.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Oklahoma City has increased its efforts this afternoon to shed salary along with the No. 21 pick en route to dodging luxury tax, league sources say. Steven Adams, Andre Roberson, Dennis Schroeder all very available at the moment.
Paul George probably ecstatic he reupped

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the salary cap is working. Maybe smaller contracts for most in free agency.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I can't believe things have sunk so low to the point where I am asking this, but might the Suns have interest in trading for Schroder? There don't seem to be any veteran point guards left anywhere else, and at least Schroder is only slightly below average.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hmm. Schroeder is at 15.5 million a year. I think the suns should consider this if they can make the cap room.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't believe things have sunk so low to the point where I am asking this, but might the Suns have interest in trading for Schroder? There don't seem to be any veteran point guards left anywhere else, and at least Schroder is only slightly below average.

He is a hell of a lot better than Cory Joseph, Rubio, or Rozier - so yeah I think they should if those are the alternatives.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He is a hell of a lot better than Cory Joseph, Rubio, or Rozier - so yeah I think they should if those are the alternatives.

How about stretching Tyler Johnson and then trading #32 for Schroder and #21?

Among players projected around #21: Clarke, Alexander-Walker, Fernando, Kabengele, Jerome, Porter and Okeke.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No, no no no nonononononononononononono, NOOOOO!!!

He's a poor man's Brandon Knight, only also toxic. He is aggressively bad, but hides it through high usage. I wouldn't take him for free.

I don't like him, but I would take him all day over the likes of Cory Joseph.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the salary cap is working. Maybe smaller contracts for most in free agency.

I doubt it. I still think we're going to see absurd spending and nearly immediate buyers remorse. The problem with the NBA salary cap and max contracts is every good expects to be maxed like a great player because teams that can't lure great players have to spend that money somewhere.

I personally think the best approach would be to implement a hard cap and no max like the NFL(put players keep guaranteed contracts) with the option of being able to waive one player every 2-3 years without having their salary count towards the cap. It would make it difficult for multiple top 10 players to stay on the same team unless they took massive paycuts, players still get their guaranteed money and teams don't get hamstrung with a bad contract for half a decade.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like him, but I would take him all day over the likes of Cory Joseph.

Hell freaking no. He's aggressively terrible.

Neither are enticing, but Schroeder actively hurts his team. He is a bad shooter, he sucks at passing, he is a ball hog and he doesn't play any defense.

And it's not about the world vs Cory Joseph, I don't give a crap about Cory Joseph comparisons. Schroeder sucks and I don't want him under any circumstance.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hell freaking no. He's aggressively terrible.

Neither are enticing, but Schroeder actively hurts his team. He is a bad shooter, he sucks at passing, he is a ball hog and he doesn't play any defense.

And it's not about the world vs Cory Joseph, I don't give a crap about Cory Joseph comparisons. Schroeder sucks and I don't want him under any circumstance.

You just described how I feel about Cory Joseph, only I think he sucks even worse than you think Schroder sucks. I would rather have to endure another year of the debacle that is Tyler Johnson/Okobo/Melton at point guard than bring Cory Joseph aboard, and that's saying a lot, since I couldn't stand the crap we trotted out at the point last year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt it. I still think we're going to see absurd spending and nearly immediate buyers remorse. The problem with the NBA salary cap and max contracts is every good expects to be maxed like a great player because teams that can't lure great players have to spend that money somewhere.

I personally think the best approach would be to implement a hard cap and no max like the NFL(put players keep guaranteed contracts) with the option of being able to waive one player every 2-3 years without having their salary count towards the cap. It would make it difficult for multiple top 10 players to stay on the same team unless they took massive paycuts, players still get their guaranteed money and teams don't get hamstrung with a bad contract for half a decade.

I wouldn't argue about the hard cap being the fix but teams are almost having to give away players to get under the cap. This is what I was talking about.

Sure teams are going to overpay for the top 2-3 players but I think it is starting to hurt the salaries of the players below them more than it ever has. The top players are always going to get more than their share. It's crazy that a team like the Suns are trying to find money to sign a point guard.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wouldn't argue about the hard cap being the fix but teams are almost having to give away players to get under the cap. This is what I was talking about.

Sure teams are going to overpay for the top 2-3 players but I think it is starting to hurt the salaries of the players below them more than it ever has. The top players are always going to get more than their share. It's crazy that a team like the Suns are trying to find money to sign a point guard.

But it's not just the top guys getting paid. Harrison Barnes opted out of 25mil+, Middleton is expecting a max, Brogdon probably gets maxed as a RFA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, no no no nonononononononononononono, NOOOOO!!!

He's a poor man's Brandon Knight, only also toxic. He is aggressively bad, but hides it through high usage. I wouldn't take him for free.

You left out at least a million NO's. Not in a freaking million years would I bring that walking cancer into our locker room. And free is a gross overpayment.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You just described how I feel about Cory Joseph, only I think he sucks even worse than you think Schroder sucks. I would rather have to endure another year of the debacle that is Tyler Johnson/Okobo/Melton at point guard than bring Cory Joseph aboard, and that's saying a lot, since I couldn't stand the crap we trotted out at the point last year.

Schroeder is worse than Tyler Johnson, significantly worse.

And as Steve just mentioned, he is also a cancer.

And again, I don't give half a squirt about Cory freaking Joseph. Judge players on their own merit, not their stupid Cory Joseph comp.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it's not just the top guys getting paid. Harrison Barnes opted out of 25mil+, Middleton is expecting a max, Brogdon probably gets maxed as a RFA.

Still most of the players are not getting top money. I would think the average player would want the CBA to be more fair but we know that's not going to happen.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The problem is with the super max, it created the perception that good players that didn't qualify for that contract automatically deserve the regular max which trickles down to the next level of players thinking they deserve near max and so on. But I don't think there's any chance for a hard cap unless or until the league almost fails. The players association will fight hard against it and so will New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, LA and maybe a few others.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
teams sign 1/2/3 max-supermax players, no more money for everyone else (most).

It's getting that way at least until the super team model of three stars goes away. There are some hints it may be happening like with the Raptors.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Schroeder is worse than Tyler Johnson, significantly worse.

The numbers refute this statement. Tyler Johnson's PER was 12.4 last year, 13.8 career (well below average for both). Schroder's PER was 12.7 last year, 14.8 career (well below average last year, but just barely below average for his career). (Meanwhile, just to highlight how horrible of a signing Cory Joseph would be, though I know you don't care about him in this discussion, his PER was 11.0 last year, 12.5 career, which is pretty darn awful for a veteran player getting significant minutes.)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson