Suns updates and discussion for the 2021-22 season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Is no one else seeing this? ESPN (a Disney-owned network) spends months developing an expose on Sarver--some call it a hit piece--I don't know. Then the Executive Chairman and Chairman of the Board OF THE SAME COMPANY THAT OWNS ESPN expresses public interest in buying the team.

Coincidence? Conflict of interest?

As much as I would like a new owner, this smacks of . . . something.
If it meant Iger ended up our owner, I could give a damn if he hired Geraldo to investigate Al Capone’s vault again to find dirt on Sarver so that he could take over the team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OK. Is no one else seeing this? ESPN (a Disney-owned network) spends months developing an expose on Sarver--some call it a hit piece--I don't know. Then the Executive Chairman and Chairman of the Board OF THE SAME COMPANY THAT OWNS ESPN expresses public interest in buying the team.

You're right, that is... odd. But the truth is the truth. If something comes out and the allegations are proved true, does it really matter who brought them up in the first place? It might absolve Sarver of punishment, but it would still be true.

Bob Iger would be huge. I'm wondering if interest in owning a sports team is one of the reasons he stepped down as CEO last year?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Conspiracy or not... great.

I would much rather have a dude, loved by the masses, with a Midas touch running this team than a penny pinching clown.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just saw updated on court/off court stats for the season.

Bridges splits are absurd. The Suns have been good with pretty much anyone on the court thus far, however, Bridges is the only player who we go into the negatives when he is OFF the court. Virtually the entire team is deeply in the plus on both ends of the stat, we thrive when they're on the court, we're good when they're not, but we only get out scored when Bridges is out, the negative is a slim margin (-2.7 per 100 possessions) but it is a big swing from his +12.2 when he is playing.

On the opposite end of the spectrum; Elfrid Payton is a one man wrecking crew. He turns our splendid cast into a cesspool. He is, by a gigantic margin, the worst player on the roster. What a weird player he is. He gets his stats but he somehow drags the entire team into the abyss. IMO, it is because he puts his teammates in bad spots, he dribbles himself into trouble and dumps off his problems on someone else, that combined with that he cannot shoot and no one bothers do defend him if he isn't at the rim... and THAT combined with that I am not sure he is aware that in the NBA players are supposed to play offense AND defense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw updated on court/off court stats for the season.

Bridges splits are absurd. The Suns have been good with pretty much anyone on the court thus far, however, Bridges is the only player who we go into the negatives when he is OFF the court. Virtually the entire team is deeply in the plus on both ends of the stat, we thrive when they're on the court, we're good when they're not, but we only get out scored when Bridges is out, the negative is a slim margin (-2.7 per 100 possessions) but it is a big swing from his +12.2 when he is playing.

On the opposite end of the spectrum; Elfrid Payton is a one man wrecking crew. He turns our splendid cast into a cesspool. He is, by a gigantic margin, the worst player on the roster. What a weird player he is. He gets his stats but he somehow drags the entire team into the abyss. IMO, it is because he puts his teammates in bad spots, he dribbles himself into trouble and dumps off his problems on someone else, that combined with that he cannot shoot and no one bothers do defend him if he isn't at the rim... and THAT combined with that I am not sure he is aware that in the NBA players are supposed to play offense AND defense.
I agree about Bridges but you don't think you're maybe obsessing a bit when it comes to Payton? The guy has only played 83 minutes total this season and he's been a DNP in all but 1 of the past 12 games.

He was struggling when he was out there (early in the season) but most of his minutes came when this team was playing at a much lower level than they are currently. His only appearance recently he was a +8 in an 8 minute stint in our 29 point win over Denver.

When you consider he's our 11th or 12th man, I don't see the problem.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about Bridges but you don't think you're maybe obsessing a bit when it comes to Payton? The guy has only played 83 minutes total this season and he's been a DNP in all but 1 of the past 12 games.

He was struggling when he was out there (early in the season) but most of his minutes came when this team was playing at a much lower level than they are currently. His only appearance recently he was a +8 in an 8 minute stint in our 29 point win over Denver.

With Kemba Walker out of the rotation for the Knicks and Alec Burks starting at point guard they may be missing Payton about right now.

Maybe they trade for John Wall. :wink2:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Iger wanted to become part owner of a team there are easier ways to do it. Also, it's not like the idea was manufactured out of the ether. Someone somewhere had to come forward for the idea to even germinate. Besides Iger might be over all of Disney but James Pitaro runs ESPN. I know our CEO doesn't know what the nitty gritty details are of all of our offshoot businesses either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nothing new but it's encouraging to hear again, Frank Kaminsky is not out for the season.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We won but he reared his head tonight. He only played a few minutes but he seemed to be everywhere and screwing up everything. He had a nice driving layup... and then he had about 4 or 5 possessions in a row that he single handedly ruined. He takes awful shots, he doesn't seem to have a clue on defense and even when he does see the right pass he tends to give it late enough to really put the guy he passes to in a bad spot. He sees the cutting man but can't hit him in stride, instead passing it to him while he is under the rim and covered.

... Perhaps I harp on the 3rd string PG being Payton too much... but I also think it would be difficult to do worse. I there has got to be several players in the G-League who would be, at minimum, less harmful when a situation demands their presence, than Payton.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We won but he reared his head tonight. He only played a few minutes but he seemed to be everywhere and screwing up everything. He had a nice driving layup... and then he had about 4 or 5 possessions in a row that he single handedly ruined. He takes awful shots, he doesn't seem to have a clue on defense and even when he does see the right pass he tends to give it late enough to really put the guy he passes to in a bad spot. He sees the cutting man but can't hit him in stride, instead passing it to him while he is under the rim and covered.

... Perhaps I harp on the 3rd string PG being Payton too much... but I also think it would be difficult to do worse. I there has got to be several players in the G-League who would be, at minimum, less harmful when a situation demands their presence, than Payton.

I had no problems with how he played tonight. That was a super odd line up Monty went with and they held serve. That’s all you can ask for while the starters rest.

Your not depending on your 3rd string PG to increase the lead just hold it down so the guys can get a break

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looking at some numbers this morning.

Suns Defense:
Overall Defensive Rating - #2
Defensive Rebounding - #8
Steals #5
Blocks #26
Opponents Points off of turnovers - #10
Opponents Second Chance Points - #26
Opponents Fast Break Points - #22
Opponent Paint Points - #6 (best)

So the team is Elite defensively overall this year (so far) despite having some glaring issues with Opponent Second Chance points and Fast breaks. The team was #10 last year in Opponent Points in the Paint and have gotten even better this year now at #6.

Suns Offense:
Overall Offensive Rating = #7
FG% - #1
Assists - #3
TO - 9th (best)
Ast/TO Ratio - #4
Points in the Paint - #6 (tenth of a point away from #5).
PPG - #4
EFG% - #3
Pace - #4
3 Pointers Made = #24
3 PT % - #7
FT% - #10
Offensive Rebounding - #27
+/- - #3

To put Points in the Paint into perspective? The Suns were #22 last season and now they are just outside the top 5 in the NBA this season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It so strange to think that this team just two years ago did the opposite and lost 17 in a row. Some additional perspective.

Suns record since the bubble: 77-24 (76.2 winning percentage) in regular-season, 8-0 in the bubble, WC Champs with a finals appearance.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It so strange to think that this team just two years ago did the opposite and lost 17 in a row. Some additional perspective.

Suns record since the bubble: 77-24 (76.2 winning percentage) in regular-season, 8-0 in the bubble, WC Champs with a finals appearance.

Makes me happy for Booker. Dude has been on both ends of the spectrum and deserves a ton of credit for sticking it out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Makes me happy for Booker. Dude has been on both ends of the spectrum and deserves a ton of credit for sticking it out.
I think we should take a moment and be happy for ourselves. We've stuck this out and it doesn't get much better than this right now.

It's a long way away, but if we win the chip, we've GOT to have an ASFN meetup in Phoenix for the parade. Especially for us out-of-towners. It would be nice to put faces to screen names considering it's been 20 years since a lot of us have been wasting our time on here. :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought this was cute. This is the Suns BEAT Writer for the Republic basically saying Phoenix isn't a Suns town if the didn't sell out the game vs. the Warriors. $165 for nosebleeds and a guy who gets to go to the game FOR FREE calls out the fans??

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They can't give tickets away to first responders/poor kids etc. I've donated to stuff like that before and would again.
No reason it shouldn't be packed. Maybe Covid scaring some off?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Covid outbreak in Az. Phoenix bread and butter fans in years past have been older people who are now more leery about big crowds.

BTW. I went to a game this year. It was tight, it was loud. In the last year and a half it was the situation where I was most thinking about catching Covid. I was kinda glad to get outta there.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Covid outbreak in Az. Phoenix bread and butter fans in years past have been older people who are now more leery about big crowds.

BTW. I went to a game this year. It was tight, it was loud. In the last year and a half it was the situation where I was most thinking about catching Covid. I was kinda glad to get outta there.
I've got all my shots and wear a mask if I get it I get it. No way I'm missing a second of this season.
The fans this year and last have been crazy it seems to be trending to a much younger crowd over the last 10 years.
In 93 when I had seats on the damn roof I could look down over a sea of white hair.
It's not like that anymore.
RIP

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I thought this was cute. This is the Suns BEAT Writer for the Republic basically saying Phoenix isn't a Suns town if the didn't sell out the game vs. the Warriors. $165 for nosebleeds and a guy who gets to go to the game FOR FREE calls out the fans??

I miss Paul Coro

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last night was a sell out. Most sites don't reflect the new seating capacity after the remodel. They opened up a huge amount of the concourse. It makes the arena feel larger and more open but in the process they tore out about 1,000 seats.

17,071 is the current capacity.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can't give tickets away to first responders/poor kids etc. I've donated to stuff like that before and would again.
No reason it shouldn't be packed. Maybe Covid scaring some off?
When I was a kid, the Suns used to give stacks of tickets to local Circle K Stores. My friends and I could walk to a Circle K and the nose bleeds tickets were sitting on the counter by the cash register for anybody to grab. Then my friends and I would convince one of our parents to drop us off at the game. Times have definitely changed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard