Suns Sign New Free-TV Deal

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
... enter Amazon and Apple...
You think they want to lose money?

I mean I get the idea of a loss leader, but there is tons of streaming competition and none of them are doing that great because of that competition.

Disney is no small company, and yet they don't want ESPN anymore.

Simply thinking there is always going to be a bigger idiot only works for so long. Eventually it always has to make economic sense.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I mean I get the idea of a loss leader, but there is tons of streaming competition and none of them are doing that great because of that competition.

Simply thinking there is always going to be a bigger idiot only works for so long. Eventually it always has to make economic sense.
Apple, Amazon and Google are for more likely to eat the cost the any traditional media companies. They make their money of other services and products and just want to get people locked into their platforms/ecosystems.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

YouTube is doing Sunday ticket and Amazon is already in the NFL business. And Apple has soccer. You don’t think either of them LEAP at the chance for the highly lucrative NBA?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we'll see shorter TV deals due to these changes. Gone are the days of 20 year contracts. Wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing TV deals mirror CBA's in length.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Agree completely, get rid of the blackout rules so I can watch every game and then take Ronin's money.
I can understand black out in PHX. If the game is sold out, no black out. But places like Bullhead City, Yuma, Window Rock, etc, there's no way a person can go down to PHX on a week night, make it back, and be be able to work the next day. At a very minimum the black outs need to have their 300 mile radius reduced.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand black out in PHX. If the game is sold out, no black out. But places like Bullhead City, Yuma, Window Rock, etc, there's no way a person can go down to PHX on a week night, make it back, and be be able to work the next day. At a very minimum the black outs need to have their 300 mile radius reduced.
I understand it, I'm just against it. They make the vast majority of their money off of us - the fans that watch the games whether by broadcast, cable, satellite or streaming. And they ignore us because we let them. All blackouts, all sports, should be a thing of the distant past.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I understand it, I'm just against it. They make the vast majority of their money off of us - the fans that watch the games whether by broadcast, cable, satellite or streaming. And they ignore us because we let them. All blackouts, all sports, should be a thing of the distant past.
There was a study a long time ago, like two decades ago, and I copied the Suns and NBA Commissioner on it. The basic nuts and bolts were, where there were less black outs, attendance was higher! Sounds counter intuitive, but it isn't. People see something, become aware of it, collectively there's more buzz around it, and people think, Hey I might want to go see these guys live. If no one sees the team, now with less people watching TV news, reading newspapers, etc, if the games aren't on, the Valley as a whole is like out of sight out of mind. I absolutely think Ishbia wanting the Suns live for free will keep attendance high.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
YouTube is doing Sunday ticket and Amazon is already in the NFL business. And Apple has soccer. You don’t think either of them LEAP at the chance for the highly lucrative NBA?
I was SHOCKED Amazon didn't go all in on Sunday Ticket. They NEED people to get Amazon Prime. You throw Sunday Ticket in there, and it's a no brainer. Their Amazon Prime subscriptions sky rocket! Heck Verizon is eating the cost of NFL Sunday Ticket if you switch to them.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a study a long time ago, like two decades ago, and I copied the Suns and NBA Commissioner on it. The basic nuts and bolts were, where there were less black outs, attendance was higher! Sounds counter intuitive, but it isn't. People see something, become aware of it, collectively there's more buzz around it, and people think, Hey I might want to go see these guys live. If no one sees the team, now with less people watching TV news, reading newspapers, etc, if the games aren't on, the Valley as a whole is like out of sight out of mind. I absolutely think Ishbia wanting the Suns live for free will keep attendance high.
Yep. And the league knew it and had been going away from blackouts. When I signed up with Directv in the mid-90's we used to never get basketball blackouts. I'm not sure what changed but I didn't start running into blackouts until Time Warner Cable got the rights to a lot of So Cal sports and it seems like it's just blossomed from there.

Obviously we aren't all the same but I've found, for myself, with other sports, that when I was forced to miss a game I'd normally follow, it became a little easier each time to skip them the next time. Now, as a result, I'm a much more discerning viewer as opposed to the fanatic that spent much of my free time obsessing over one team or another.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I
Yep. And the league knew it and had been going away from blackouts. When I signed up with Directv in the mid-90's we used to never get basketball blackouts. I'm not sure what changed but I didn't start running into blackouts until Time Warner Cable got the rights to a lot of So Cal sports and it seems like it's just blossomed from there.

Obviously we aren't all the same but I've found, for myself, with other sports, that when I was forced to miss a game I'd normally follow, it became a little easier each time to skip them the next time. Now, as a result, I'm a much more discerning viewer as opposed to the fanatic that spent much of my free time obsessing over one team or another.
I am like that. Just recently, I couldn't miss a Dback game on TV. When it went away from Bally's and I can't see them anymore, I am good looking at box scores. I don't even watch the game recaps. I am still all in on wanting Corbin Carroll to win Rookie of the year, and Zac Gallen getting Cy Young, but it's not as urgent for me to watch them now. I want to see them with Lawlor, but I am resigned to hoping they make the playoffs so I can watch on TV.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@Dback Jon @bankybruce @Ronin @AZ Native @Chris_Sanders

This article should answer most people's questions regarding the Suns new TV deal with AZ Family and how to watch games in Arizona.

OT here, and I am sure there are some Dback board regulars that I missed but it's really depressing that the Dbacks are not this pro-active.

They're in the middle of their most exciting season in ages and like 90% of the fan base has no access to watch them on TV. It is insane. Even if you don't want to lock into a "free" TV situation long term... do it now! For this season! There is no way that freakin channel 3 would decline the opportunity. A fun, young team, with a real chance to contend and the franchise is doing nothing to expand the fan base.

Maddening.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OT here, and I am sure there are some Dback board regulars that I missed but it's really depressing that the Dbacks are not this pro-active.

They're in the middle of their most exciting season in ages and like 90% of the fan base has no access to watch them on TV. It is insane. Even if you don't want to lock into a "free" TV situation long term... do it now! For this season! There is no way that freakin channel 3 would decline the opportunity. A fun, young team, with a real chance to contend and the franchise is doing nothing to expand the fan base.

Maddening.

This will surely put more money in AZ Family's pocket, just need to hope they reinvest to expand. Who knows when or if it'll be enough.

This TV deal will be watched by a lot to see how it plays out.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score

Disney is losing Billions, when you see streamers combining their subscriptions with other streamers it means they are not working out. They are dumping ESPN because they over bid for NFL/NBA games -

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disney is losing Billions, when you see streamers combining their subscriptions with other streamers it means they are not working out. They are dumping ESPN because they over bid for NFL/NBA games -
No they are not. Yes, there are issues with streaming but the company is so much larger than that. Disney's online video operation cut its loss to $512 million from more than $1 billion a year ago. So basically a half a billion dollars. That division is losing millions not billions. Overall the company is still profitable. Disney gross profit for the twelve months ending June 30, 2023 was $28.776B, a 3.06% increase year-over-year. Despite those struggle they have increased gross profit every year.

- Disney annual gross profit for 2022 was $28.321B, a 27.07% increase from 2021.
- Disney annual gross profit for 2021 was $22.287B, a 3.62% increase from 2020.
- Disney annual gross profit for 2020 was $21.508B, a 21.92% decline from 2019.

Disney is trying to appease shareholders by reducing losses in streaming where they went big expecting to steal the lions share of streamers. It's a bet most of the these streaming services made and most are finding out it was a bad bet. There are too many services and the prices keep going up. They all can't survive spending the money they are spending on content while subscribers tighten their belts.

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

100% free, including shipping. Ishbia once again proving he is one of the best owners in the league.

Apparently the supply of free indoor antennas has already run out, but they are still offering 20% off on outdoor antennas.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't you think the Suns would make more on revenue overall(ad rev, sponsorship rev, and so on) with this setup then with a streaming company?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't you think the Suns would make more on revenue overall(ad rev, sponsorship rev, and so on) with this setup then with a streaming company?

God i hope they do, listening to that static/ocean sound, which as awful, on Ballys was no fun. I'd rather watch commercials than nothing, and not the same sheet over and over.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will absolutely lose my mind if AZ Family Sports Network goes live for Sunday's game with the Suns old channel 45 intro music. Ishbia would ascend to god status.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Intriguing. The one thing we don't have with League Pass are the pre-, post- and halftime shows. Wonder if there will be other content as well--historical games, Suns-centric shows, etc...

Wonder if this will be for people outside of Arizona?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Intriguing. The one thing we don't have with League Pass are the pre-, post- and halftime shows. Wonder if there will be other content as well--historical games, Suns-centric shows, etc...

Wonder if this will be for people outside of Arizona?
Yeah… that’s interesting. Could this supersede League Pass for out of state people? I’d be surprised if the League actually allowed that kind of thing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Looks like it's not going to be for out-of-state fans...

WATCH THE SUNS AT HOME OR ON THE GO

Suns Live, the new direct-to-consumer streaming platform where fans can stream all locally televised games, and access game replays and original content, is now available!

In partnership with Arizona’s Family and Kiswe, Suns Live will bring Suns basketball to all fans across Arizona on the platform of their choice.

All locally broadcast games, including 70 regular season games and all five preseason games, will simulcast on Suns Live allowing subscribers to live stream games at home or on the go. The Suns pregame, halftime and postgame shows will also stream on Suns Live. In addition to live games, subscribers will also have access to original content, including behind-the-scenes and off-the-court moments, as well as on-demand games.

Suns Live subscriptions are available to Arizona fans for $14.99 per month or an annual price of $109.99 per year. Annual subscription purchases also include a limited-edition Suns t-shirt. New subscribers are eligible for a 7-day free trial.

Subscribers can access Suns Live at live.suns.comon their desktop or mobile device. Additional information on how to stream via connected TV apps will be announced in the coming weeks.

Fans can access original content today, with live game streams beginning with the first preseason game on Oct. 8 versus the Detroit Pistons.