Suns Sign New Free-TV Deal

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Suns schedule again. I have DirecTV. It looks like when 3TV and national TV doesn't carry the Suns game, they will be on NBA TV.

DirecTV emailed me a guide where I can enter a particular date. I'm still a bit anxious because the Suns schedule doesn't always reflect this.
Hey man, do you have a satellite or internet connection with Direct? Since this YouTube TV news has gone down, I was looking into switching. I just can’t tell if I can get 3TV using Direct’s internet package or if I have to get a satellite. It looks like there might be exclusives to each connection for local channels. It’s all such a racquet. Lol

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey man, do you have a satellite or internet connection with Direct? Since this YouTube TV news has gone down, I was looking into switching. I just can’t tell if I can get 3TV using Direct’s internet package or if I have to get a satellite. It looks like there might be exclusives to each connection for local channels. It’s all such a racquet. Lol

I have DirecTV by satellite.

Since I live in Arizona, but out of area, I can get the local games on channel 3TV.

Also, per an email from DirecTv, I should also be able to get the Suns games when they are not available there or on national TV on NBA TV.

For my own sanity, I have stuck with them because I have always been able to get the Suns games live.

Good luck.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score

Since I live in Arizona, but out of area, I can get the local games on channel 3TV.

Also, per an email from DirecTv, I should also be able to get the Suns games when they are not available there or on national TV on NBA TV.

For my own sanity, I have stuck with them because I have always been able to get the Suns games live.

Good luck.
Gotcha. Didn’t realize you lived outside of the city. I’ll figure it out. I was a long time Direct customer until 2019 and switched to streaming services. I’m tired of chasing Suns games so I think I might go back reluctantly. Appreciate the insight.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Good luck.
Same reason I never left DirecTV. It allows me to watch every single Suns game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same reason I never left DirecTV. It allows me to watch every single Suns game.
Leave or stay, you can easily get every Suns game if you're not in the Suns TV market. NBA League Pass streaming is only 99.99 so I no longer let my fandom influence my cable or satellite decisions.

I started with Dtv the year they first became available nationally and absolutely loved it. But after several years of great service, they screwed me over on a Super Bowl Sunday by blocking out all cards in a certain range because of piracy without letting any of us know. And it turns out, it wasn't the first time they'd done it. So, in anger, I dumped them.

I've since then switched back to our local cable company and then to Verizon Fios, Dish, Frontier, Time Warner Cable and now Spectrum. Not a one of them comes anywhere close to Directv but it's my understanding, the same is now true of DirecTV. They just aren't the same. Anyway, I'm reasonably satisfied with Spectrum but I'd go back to the Dtv of the 90's and 2000's in a heartbeat if it still existed.

As I've gone from service to service, disappointed with the sports options available to me, I've often relied on the streaming versions of the various sports (NBA, MLB, NFL). Thanks to that option, I haven't missed a game I wanted to see since leaving DirecTV although I have had to wait a day occasionally due to blackouts.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Leave or stay, you can easily get every Suns game if you're not in the Suns TV market. NBA League Pass streaming is only 99.99 so I no longer let my fandom influence my cable or satellite decisions.
Easily? I don't know about that. I already pay for League Pass. That gets me the non ABC, TNT, ESPN, and NBA TV games. So you need access to all four of those. And then I'm in So Cal so due to local blackout rules, I have to have Spectrum to watch the Suns/Lakers games (4 games) and Bally Sports So Cal to watch Suns/Clippers (4 games). How do I easily get all six of those?

ETA: Ah, just saw this. This is unacceptable to me:

I have had to wait a day occasionally due to blackouts.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easily? I don't know about that. I already pay for League Pass. That gets me the non ABC, TNT, ESPN, and NBA TV games. So you need access to all four of those. And then I'm in So Cal so due to local blackout rules, I have to have Spectrum to watch the Suns/Lakers games (4 games) and Bally Sports So Cal to watch Suns/Clippers (4 games). How do I easily get all six of those?

Spectrum Sports (or whatever plays Lakers games) and Bally Sports are both on DirectTV in Los Angeles. That’s what I have and they gifted me the NBA League Pass this year when I threatened to dump them over losing Sunday Ticket.

But you can also do spectrum and then buy Suns Team Pass on Amazon and watch it off that app if you already have prime. That’s what I did the last two seasons and will give you all the LA games, TNT, ABC (but not NBATV) and then all other Suns games.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah ever since Time Warner Cable got the rights to the Lakers I've faced a lot of blackouts with the Lakers and occasionally the Clippers. I didn't like waiting until the next day either, that's why I switched to Spectrum who has both of them. But even before, it wasn't all 8 LA games, usually it was no more than 5 in a season but that might be dated information.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I returned the TABLO DVR (4th gen). It basically wasn't compatible YET with Apple TV when watching LIVE TV. It worked on all my other devices but the Apple TV or my OLED LG TV. I got it on a Black Friday sale. I just ordered an HDHomerun DVR instead. It's supposed to work well with Apple TV and Plex. On to attempt #2 to record OTA Suns games.

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's geo-locked. I'm sure someone will chime in about using a VPN, but that is just another cost.

Yep, I was just curious if it uses your GPS, IP address, billing address, or any combination of these.

I know it’s a hassle, but I’m tempted to try hehe.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still hearing a lot of complaining about the Suns game availability so I put together a chart that represents local TV/streaming availability from last season to this season.

Local Game Availability.
You must be registered for see images attach

The only people who have a valid complaint are DirecTV users but a game has yet to air solely on AZFS 44 yet so they haven't missed anything.

I've heard some rumblings about the quality of the broadcast, but I haven't noticed anything significant compared to Bally Sports.

Factor in the FREE OTA broadcasts and the stand alone streaming service for those who don't can't pick up antenna signal, and the lingering complaints seem ridiculous to me.

All of the complaining I've seen is coming from YouTube TV subscribers who didn't even get Bally Sports last season.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still hearing a lot of complaining about the Suns game availability so I put together a chart that represents local TV/streaming availability from last season to this season.

Local Game Availability.
You must be registered for see images attach

The only people who have a valid complaint are DirecTV users but a game has yet to air solely on AZFS 44 yet so they haven't missed anything.

I've heard some rumblings about the quality of the broadcast, but I haven't noticed anything significant compared to Bally Sports.

Factor in the FREE OTA broadcasts and the stand alone streaming service for those who don't can't pick up antenna singal and the lingering complaints seem ridiculous to me.

All of the complaining I've seen is coming from YouTube TV subscribers who didn't even get Bally Sports last season.

I expected complaints about how many games are aired exclusively on ESPN or TNT but really didn't think I'd see so many upset over a lateral move at worst, Ballys stand alone vs Suns Live, which is roughly the same price. I think Suns Live is cheaper. Last year was also the first year Bally's was available as a stand alone and the quality sucked. I did numerous free trials because I refused to pay for that service because of how bad it was. The stream would buffer and lag regularly. Plus either the sound or picture was subpar. I can't recall one entire game where the picture and sound was as good I get now OTA.

I watched preseason and the first 3-4 games on Channel 44 because my antenna didn't pick up 3 well but once I moved it around a little I found a sweet spot where I get 3 in perfect now. The picture quality on 44 was always good but 3 is better.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is AS44 the high def version of AS3?

AS44 isn't HiDef. Its only 720p, I believe. It's the dedicated sports channel over the air and a lot of the pre and post games have aired exclusively on that channel. They've simulcast the games so far on Channel 3 and 44 but a little later in the season there will be some games only on 44. So no free HD. It's not a huge difference but it is noticeable.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AS44 isn't HiDef. Its only 720p, I believe. It's the dedicated sports channel over the air and a lot of the pre and post games have aired exclusively on that channel. They've simulcast the games so far on Channel 3 and 44 but a little later in the season there will be some games only on 44. So no free HD. It's not a huge difference but it is noticeable.
I always thought that 720P (and 1080I) were High Def?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I always thought that 720P (and 1080I) were High Def?

Maybe. I know people have always said 720 isn't true HD. Personally, I don't care much. I know Channel 3 is 1080 and 44 is 720.

However you may be right that both are HD, albeit different grades of HD.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expected complaints about how many games are aired exclusively on ESPN or TNT but really didn't think I'd see so many upset over a lateral move at worst, Ballys stand alone vs Suns Live, which is roughly the same price. I think Suns Live is cheaper. Last year was also the first year Bally's was available as a stand alone and the quality sucked. I did numerous free trials because I refused to pay for that service because of how bad it was. The stream would buffer and lag regularly. Plus either the sound or picture was subpar. I can't recall one entire game where the picture and sound was as good I get now OTA.

I watched preseason and the first 3-4 games on Channel 44 because my antenna didn't pick up 3 well but once I moved it around a little I found a sweet spot where I get 3 in perfect now. The picture quality on 44 was always good but 3 is better.
I forgot about Bally Sports +. You could say that is a comparable option to Suns Live, but $5 less a month makes Suns Live still the winner especially now that they have launched apps for the major smart tv ecosystems.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah, I have my antenna not on its amplifier. Channel 44 was breaking up and pretty unwatchable. I may have to hook the amplifier back up to see if that does anything at all. Otherwise, I am going to be out of luck if zI have to depend on 44.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What channel is az family on for directv?

I'm watching the games on 3TV with DirecTV.

Per an email, I understand NBA TV will carry them when they are not on 3TV or a national channel in my area, but I'm not holding my breath.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m trying to switch my folks over to have 3tv show up.

They are on the border of NM.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson