Suns sign Jamal Crawford to one-year deal

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jamal can still play the game. Even at his age he is an improvement over the Suns fringe players.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just so we're clear on this, the Suns gave up Chriss for the privilege of downgrading Knight to Crawford.
You always find the bright side.

I think Anderson played a role in that thinking, and Melton's potential did too. So, no. That is not the clear transaction at all.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of James Jones first hires was signing one of his "old" buddies. Whats there to worry about???:sarcasm:

Not a thing, IMO. There's plenty to worry about with the current state of the Suns but Jones signing someone he called a friend isn't one of them. He was well liked and respected around the league and he played for 5 different teams during his 14 year career. I'm sure he has a lot of NBA players that he counts as friends.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Anderson played a role in that thinking, and Melton's potential did too. So, no. That is not the clear transaction at all.

Yeah, Anderson means we can see the best possible outcome for Bender without wasting anymore time developing him. Depending on how Anderson plays next to Ayton will determine whether we keep Bender and hope to turn him into Anderson after this season.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah, Anderson means we can see the best possible outcome for Bender without wasting anymore time developing him. Depending on how Anderson plays next to Ayton will determine whether we keep Bender and hope to turn him into Anderson after this season.

I disagree there. Bender's fate is being sealed at the end of October, and I would say that Bender determined Bender's fate pretty good himself. I expect that Anderson was brought it because Bender will not be on the roster after the end of the month.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. I have been watching video of Crawford from last year only.

Physically he seems timeless. He has not lost a step. Seems as quick as ever, which is amazing.
Shot seems solid.
Handle is premier, which is one of the things he is known for.
Seems to be a willing passer, but it is a highlight, not a lowlight video.
Not much video of his D although he still gets steals here and there.

I think if you just look at his age, you are making a mistake. He is still quite an effective ball player. You can look for yourselves if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuEI2KcocUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xxc4zPYe1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf5Dw1iB8eg

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So. I have been watching video of Crawford from last year only.

Physically he seems timeless. He has not lost a step. Seems as quick as ever, which is amazing.
Shot seems solid.
Handle is premier, which is one of the things he is known for.
Seems to be a willing passer, but it is a highlight, not a lowlight video.
Not much video of his D although he still gets steals here and there.

I think if you just look at his age, you are making a mistake. He is still quite an effective ball player. You can look for yourselves if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuEI2KcocUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xxc4zPYe1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf5Dw1iB8eg

Yeah. I've been watching a lot of that stuff as well, and I agree with your assessment.

However, 38 is an extreme outlier. One offseason is all you need to get worse once you're past 33. Crawford is the 3rd oldest player in the league. Vince Carter, who has defied age like no other, dropped from 12 ppg to less than 6 in his 38-year-old season and hasn't ever gotten back to that level of production.

If Crawford is a significant contributor, he is historically unique. You could argue he already is; totally on borrowed time.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also, if you want to have some fun, watch his pro-am highlights. He looks like Steph Curry at that level still.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't think he is expected to be a significant contributor. I think his job is to dribble the ball up the floor, hand it to Booker, and run to the corner.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think he is expected to be a significant contributor. I think his job is to dribble the ball up the floor, hand it to Booker, and run to the corner.

And he's probably better equipped to do that than any of our other options, even at age 38. Which probably says more about them than him.

I like the signing if we're not expecting much. He's good depth.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What’s his job going to be on defense?

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Just so we're clear on this, the Suns gave up Chriss for the privilege of downgrading Knight to Crawford.

Or another way to think of it is... we gave up two guys who AREN'T besties with the GM... for a guy who IS.

Just putting a positive spin on it! ;)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or another way to think of it is... we gave up two guys who AREN'T besties with the GM... for a guy who IS.

Just putting a positive spin on it! ;)

Time to fill out the bench with our GM's choices and not the previous regimes. We have enough young players who factor into the rotation. We don't have time to develop end of the bench youngsters also. The 2 guys cut were part of the previous regime and players McD viewed much higher than others. Reed was picked too early and Harrison never had a minute in the NBA before this last year, he's not a PG either.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our roster had too many young players. You just cannot develop that many young players. That was one of McD’s problems. Too many youngsters

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
OK, veteran's minimum. No draft picks or players given up, except one guy cut to make room for Crawford. Pretty minimal resources to give up.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So the big thing I will look at tomorrow, is Crawford playing any PG, or coming off the bench at two guard. Any chance we start him at PG? I am thinking a day's practice is too little time to start him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
So the big thing I will look at tomorrow, is Crawford playing any PG, or coming off the bench at two guard. Any chance we start him at PG? I am thinking a day's practice is too little time to start him.

F it. Just start him, get him switched onto Doncic and street ball him so bad he wants to go back to Europe.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it looks like Canaan is starting tomorrow.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Crawford was voted teammate of the year last year. He is fantastic in the locker room. He makes players believe in themselves. If he can instill some confidence in Bender, Bridges, Melton, or Okobo, he will be worth his salary.