Suns sign Jamal Crawford to one-year deal

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will repeat some of Gambo's thoughts about Crawford. I'm anxious for him to talk to him soon!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with Gambo, as much as it pains me to admit. I would rather keep Daniels and have him play the role Crawford will take on. Of course Daniels isn't the veteran leader that Crawford is but if people thought Dudley couldn't play anymore then I can't wait to see how people respond to Crawford taking minutes from Bridges and Jackson. He's not a PG either so that idea needs to be forgotten. So long as he's getting minutes though he'll make Warren and Booker look like Tucker and Raja Bell on defense.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'd like to hear the reasoning, because signing Crawford makes no sense whatsoever.

So now we have the forward version of Jamal Crawford AND Jamal Crawford!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dudley's 2 cents. He's been giving his take on the Suns quite a bit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns back court besides Booker is nothing to get excited about. It's becoming easier by the day to see why McDonough is gone.

The Suns really need Bridges to live up to expectations.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter what Gambo may think here. He is unequivocally better than Isaiah Canaan, Shaquille Harrison, George King, and Davon Reed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter what Gambo may think here. He is unequivocally better than Isaiah Canaan, Shaquille Harrison, George King, and Davon Reed.

This is about where I'm at. No wonder the Suns are bringing in older veterans to supplement their roster.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They want Crawford over Canaan or Daniels. It's not a big deal.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Last year, Jamal Crawford was ranked as the 327th WORST defender in the NBA. That is 2 spots WORSE than Troy Daniels. Still listed as better than Shaquille Harrison. But for comparison's sake, Tyler Ulis last year was ranked #252 and Devin Booker was #286.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think he is here to bring the ball upcourt for Booker who is coming off hand surgery, and to shoot three's and drive the lane to open up scores. He can also lob the ball into bigs successfully. I think he is here until we make a trade, or draft a PG.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The only way I see Crawford fitting in, is in the spot that Daniels/Reed would have otherwise filled. Then it sort of makes sense, at least for short term.

If the plan is to use him as an off-ball guard in tandem with Booker as primary playmaker, then maybe that also works - for the very short term. It doesn't in any way alleviate the need for a real PG... and using Booker as primary playmaker is probably at best only a stopgap, too.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in wait and see mode. It's a nothing deal AFAIC until we're shown otherwise. I expect to see him filling the 1.5 role with Booker but we'll see.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's far superior to Harrison, Canaan, Okobo, Melton and Reed, and he is also better than Daniels. If he is meant to replace one of them, I don't see any downside. The key is that they don't get fooled into believing our gaping hole at point guard is filled by signing him. We still need a starting point guard.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Based on what James Jones said few days ago, this sounds like a signing more to help Crawford get on an NBA roster than anything else. Jones said him and Crawford are close personal friends so he could just be doing his friend a favor with this signing.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Based on what James Jones said few days ago, this sounds like a signing more to help Crawford get on an NBA roster than anything else. Jones said him and Crawford are close personal friends so he could just be doing his friend a favor with this signing.

I really hope that's not the case. The last thing we need is player personnel decision making motivated by anything other than what's best for this team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's an expensive favor. Doesn't seem to mesh with Sarver's reputation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave