Suns playoff chase

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too soon? No way, never too soon!

Let the standings watching begin!

Before the year I figured the playoff locks would be Spurs, Clips, Thunder, Rockets, Warriors, and the Grizz as most likely. Leaving the Suns, Pelicans, Jazz and Mavs to battle it out for the other 2 (or 3) spots.

Well, the Pelicans were DOA. At 1-11 in a conference where the typical 8th seed needs to get north of 44 wins, they're toast.

One team I figured would be behind us looks a lot better than expected (Dallas), and one team I thought we'd be fighting with is already KO'd.

Every little win is going to be big, we missed it by one stinking game in 2014. Games vs the other bubble teams Denver (tonight), Utah, Minnesota, Memphis. We need to come out with a winning record vs those teams at the end of the year.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh, if the season could just end today, we'd be in!

Seriously though, I like to think we will get in at 6-7. That may be a bit optimistic though.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think Dallas will come back to the pack at some time later this season and will be battling for the final slot.

We're gonna need Bled and Knight to continue their stellar play to have any chance though.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Before the year I figured the playoff locks would be Spurs, Clips, Thunder, Rockets, Warriors, and the Grizz as most likely. Leaving the Suns, Pelicans, Jazz and Mavs to battle it out for the other 2 (or 3) spots.

That seems like a reasonable pre-season projection. But in addition to the Pelicans, the Grizzlies are also looking questionable. After the top five, it's pretty open.

Every little win is going to be big, we missed it by one stinking game in 2014. Games vs the other bubble teams Denver (tonight), Utah, Minnesota, Memphis. We need to come out with a winning record vs those teams at the end of the year.

I think that mainly they need to give up fewer games to weak opponents. Losing to bad teams does a lot of damage. I haven't looked at the numbers, but my impression is that the Suns have fared less well against sub-.500 teams over the past two years than their competitors on the playoff bubble have.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That seems like a reasonable pre-season projection. But in addition to the Pelicans, the Grizzlies are also looking questionable. After the top five, it's pretty open.

I think that mainly they need to give up fewer games to weak opponents. Losing to bad teams does a lot of damage. I haven't looked at the numbers, but my impression is that the Suns have fared less well against sub-.500 teams over the past two years than their competitors on the playoff bubble have.

I don't know if it's true either but it sure feels that way. And so far this year we've been given a win over a better team but we've lost to 2 teams that we shouldn't have.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, father time seems to be nipping in the Grizz heels. I lumped them in with the bubble teams the Suns are competing with. I could also Dallas dropping down into the pack, Carlisle is getting a lot out of that roster but they've got a lot of guys playing way over their career norms.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know if it's true either but it sure feels that way. And so far this year we've been given a win over a better team but we've lost to 2 teams that we shouldn't have.

And those two would be? Dallas is playing very well this year. It seemed at the time that we should have beaten them, but now it looks like they are a tougher team than we thought. They are 9-4 right now.

The Pistons were playing very well at the time. They are a decent team. They are still 7-5 now even though they endured a losing streak after us.

The Thunder are not as good as in the past but, well, they still are the Thunder. They are 7-6

The Bulls are a good team without Rose. They are 8-4.

I don't think anyone would argue the Clippers are a bad team. They are 6-6.

The Suns have not lost to a sub .500 team.

Last edited:

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And those two would be? Dallas is playing very well this year. It seemed at the time that we should have beaten them, but now it looks like they are a tougher team than we thought. They are 9-4 right now.

The Pistons were playing very well at the time. They are a decent team. They are still 7-5 now even though they endured a losing streak after us.

The Thunder are not as good as in the past but, well, they still are the Thunder. They are 7-6

The Bulls are a good team without Rose. They are 8-4.

I don't think anyone would argue the Clippers are a bad team. They are 6-6.

The Suns have not lost to a sub .500 team.

I was talking about home losses to Detroit and Dallas. They aren't bad losses but they fall in the group of teams that we need to be able to beat at home. Chicago is clearly better than us so I consider that an expected loss. The Clippers are clearly better than us so that was an unexpected win. You need a few unexpected wins each year and you need to limit your unexpected losses. We're down a game in that regard. Considering how poorly our frontcourt started the season, I'm fine with where we are right now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92