Suns Off-season Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that was really the case we would have broken it up. We certainly wouldn't have matched Ayton. You are speculating.
Where there is smoke there is fire. It's not farfetched. I mean, the team is coming off the best regular season ever, the year after they went to the finals then had a colossal flop. It made it one of the most historically disappointing ends to a season in league history. Guys were going to be frustrated. I don't recall how legitimate the reporting was without going back but it's definitely not farfetched. Having said that? I think this is normal frustration type stuff. Nothing monumental. Guys vent in the Lockeroom and usually get over it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Where there is smoke there is fire. It's not farfetched. I mean, the team is coming off the best regular season ever, the year after they went to the finals then had a colossal flop. It made it one of the most historically disappointing ends to a season in league history. Guys were going to be frustrated. I don't recall how legitimate the reporting was without going back but it's definitely not farfetched. Having said that? I think this is normal frustration type stuff. Nothing monumental. Guys vent in the Lockeroom and usually get over it.
And I halfway agree with you about venting and it staying in the locker room and moving on.

What I'm not agreeing with is that the drama of the final few weeks of the season is not indicative of how the team is going to perform in the new season. I don't subscribe to the "sky is falling" sort of fandom.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It makes sense, but the Suns didn't fix their biggest need at the trade deadline last season and they still haven't fixed it.

The trades for Craig and Holiday were huge disappointments. It's like the Suns flunked the 2020 draft twice.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I halfway agree with you about venting and it staying in the locker room and moving on.

What I'm not agreeing with is that the drama of the final few weeks of the season is not indicative of how the team is going to perform in the new season. I don't subscribe to the "sky is falling" sort of fandom.

Who is declaring the sky is falling? I don't see that. I see a lot of people who don't believe this team is a legitimate contender any longer, perhaps they never were and truly did receive a heaping dose of luck to make the finals. They did face 3 teams missing one of their top two players to get there.

Before you mention having the best regular season record, D'Antoni teams used to win a lot of regular season games as well but they weren't viewed as a legit contender or favorite because he emphasized winning when it didn't really matter and wasn't able to coach the team up when it truly mattered in the playoffs. It's not just D'Antoni teams either, plenty of teams have led the league in wins during the regular season and not be viewed as legit contenders like the Jazz just two seasons ago, for example.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts.

I think the Suns forwards got exposed defensively in the playoffs with their inability to defend and rebound off switches.

The middle was left open if the centers tried to guard players outside.

Offensively, the Suns couldn't consistently hit the 3-point shot if defenses clogged the middle.
They did not do in the playoffs what they had been doing in the regular season. It wasn't a matter of getting exposed. It was something else. Something changed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been roaming the world of Twitter replies. We know how reliable that is, however, I have to ask.

Did Gambo say or hint the Jazz want two first round picks for Bojan Bogdanovic?

I don't know if there is any truth to it, or if it is speculation, but... no way.

I'd rather keep Jae Crowder.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Gambo said that the Jazz want picks and expiring. There are other teams offering a first-rounder. Those would be better picks than the Suns' first-rounder. No one has offered two first-rounders yet for Bojan, but if the Suns want him, they have to find a way to beat pick offers from teams with better picks (Lakers, Dallas, etc). That would take two first-rounders (very late picks), or maybe a quality young player, or a couple of second-rounders or something.

Its about trying to find a way to beat other offers without giving up a second first-round pick.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully, Dario playing at Eurobasket is the first step towards his return to NBA form.

Um, that really isn't far off his NBA form - he plays like that 70% of the time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo said that the Jazz want picks and expiring. There are other teams offering a first-rounder. Those would be better picks than the Suns' first-rounder. No one has offered two first-rounders yet for Bojan, but if the Suns want him, they have to find a way to beat pick offers from teams with better picks (Lakers, Dallas, etc). That would take two first-rounders (very late picks), or maybe a quality young player, or a couple of second-rounders or something.

Its about trying to find a way to beat other offers without giving up a second first-round pick.

Bojan is not an All-Star and everything the Jazz have is not golden.

Maybe the Suns should start looking elsewhere or wait to make a trade later in the season. There will be deals to be had at the trade deadline.

What are the Lakers going to trade for Bojan?

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, James Jones should think twice before dealing with Danny Ainge and the Jazz.

He has already raked the Timberwolves and Cavaliers over the coals.

The Suns need a another play maker and shooter more than they need a power forward.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bojan is not an All-Star and everything the Jazz have is not golden.

Maybe the Suns should start looking elsewhere or wait to make a trade later in the season. There will be deals to be had at the trade deadline.

What are the Lakers going to trade for Bojan?
I have no idea what the Lakers would trade. I just heard the conversation while driving.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I hope the Suns don't overreach for Bojan. He is a nice role player, but that's about it.

Spend excess draft capital on another point guard if they must.

Unfortunately I believe the Suns will trade for and get Bogan and will overpay to ex Suns player now GM Danny Ainge with 1st round picks as our 1st don't carry the same value as losing team's 1st picks. They should nstead of going after a real Power Forward & or shot creating guard who can also assist. Bogan solves some scoring but he's is so deficient in other areas of his game. I just don't think a one trick pony is worth 2 firsts and Crowder. Although I would love to dump Shamet, Craig, and Dario & keep Crowder as bench player but that's probably not financially possible to the Suns or acceptable to Crowder.

How about the guard from Atlanta Bogdan Bogdanovic that we once drafted back on the day?

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I believe the Suns will trade for and get Bogan and will overpay to ex Suns player now GM Danny Ainge with 1st round picks as our 1st don't carry the same value as losing team's 1st picks. They should nstead of going after a real Power Forward & or shot creating guard who can also assist. Bogan solves some scoring but he's is so deficient in other areas of his game. I just don't think a one trick pony is worth 2 firsts and Crowder. Although I would love to dump Shamet, Craig, and Dario & keep Crowder as bench player but that's probably not financially possible to the Suns or acceptable to Crowder.

How about the guard from Atlanta Bogdan Bogdanovic that we once drafted back on the day?

There are better deals to be had if the Suns are patient, and trade for another player either now or later.

If the Suns trade Crowder and let's say Shamet to the Jazz plus two first round picks for Bojan, I believe the Jazz will flip Crowder to the Heat (or another team) for a first round pick.

Likely they will do the same with Shamet. Maybe the Jazz get a couple of second round picks or even a first round pick for him.

The key, the Jazz are going to sit on the players until they get the deal they want. Phoenix could do the same. In a football analogy, the Suns GM (quarterback) seems to be locked onto one wide receiver. There are other players out there that could fit one of the Suns needs.

IMO, they would be much better off spending their draft capital for a playmaker/shooter when one becomes available or another option at forward. Lots of deals will be made as the season progresses.

I like Bogdan Bogdanovic as an option and I would kick the tires on John Collins as well.

Also, I'd ask about Jarred Vanderbilt of the Jazz if the Suns are going to overspend.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are better deals to be had if the Suns are patient, and trade for another player either now or later.

If the Suns trade Crowder and let's say Shamet to the Jazz plus two first round picks for Bojan, I believe the Jazz will flip Crowder to the Heat (or another team) for a first round pick.

Likely they will do the same with Shamet. Maybe the Jazz get a couple of second round picks or even a first round pick for him.

The key, the Jazz are going to sit on the players until they get the deal they want. Phoenix could do the same. In a football analogy, the Suns GM (quarterback) seems to be locked onto one wide receiver. There are other players out there that could fit one of the Suns needs.

IMO, they would be much better off spending their draft capital for a playmaker/shooter when one becomes available or another option at forward. Lots of deals will be made as the season progresses.

I like Bogdan Bogdanovic as an option and I would kick the tires on John Collins as well.

Also, I'd ask about Jarred Vanderbilt of the Jazz if the Suns are going to overspend.
Look I don't understand why so many of you think Ainge can get deals nobody else can. While I think James Jones is overrated, I don't think he's a complete idiot.

If Crowder can be traded for a first, we would do it, or be smart enough to make it into a 3 way deal. Since we already shopped him, I think we have a real good idea what the market is for him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look I don't understand why so many of you think Ainge can get deals nobody else can. While I think James Jones is overrated, I don't think he's a complete idiot.

If Crowder can be traded for a first, we would do it, or be smart enough to make it into a 3 way deal. Since we already shopped him, I think we have a real good idea what the market is for him.
History? Ainge during his tenure in the front office has pulled off some crafty moves. That's like you saying a person who is great at their job can't do things someone who is crappy at their job can do. Some front office guys are just smarter and better at their jobs. By definition they can do things other front office guys can't.

in the past he pulled off the 3 way Thomas Deal that gave them 24.7 points and 6.0 assists for two seasons, when he acquired KG/Allen teams were demanding Rondo in return & he refused which turned out to be key, he got Tatum and a pick for Fultz, he traded for KG for Al Jefferson, Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Theo Ratliff, and two 1st rounders, he traded Pierce & KG to the Nets for picks that became Jaylen Brown & Jayson Tatum.

That's a pretty impressive resume and I know I am leaving some other moves out. Now he is stock piling things up for the Jazz to setup them up for the future. However, James Jones seems to be pretty good at his job too. So, hopefully, he isn't dumb enough to let Ainge outmaneuver him. The fact it was reported that James Jones wouldn't budge on gutting the Suns for KD says a ton for me. I doubt he is going to do anything stupid for Bojan. However, the Suns picks are not as valuable as other teams picks which means offering more to match what other teams can do.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm only responding to rumors that the Suns first round picks are not as good as other offers for Bojan.

This insinuates the Suns could have over pay or be more creative than other teams with the use of first round picks and expiring contracts to obtain him.

I'm not convinced the Suns should trade Jae Crowder or certainly not until they find a more equitable trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
History? Ainge during his tenure in the front office has pulled off some crafty moves. That's like you saying a person who is great at their job can't do things someone who is crappy at their job can do. Some front office guys are just smarter and better at their jobs. By definition they can do things other front office guys can't.

in the past he pulled off the 3 way Thomas Deal that gave them 24.7 points and 6.0 assists for two seasons, when he acquired KG/Allen teams were demanding Rondo in return & he refused which turned out to be key, he got Tatum and a pick for Fultz, he traded for KG for Al Jefferson, Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Theo Ratliff, and two 1st rounders, he traded Pierce & KG to the Nets for picks that became Jaylen Brown & Jayson Tatum.

That's a pretty impressive resume and I know I am leaving some other moves out. Now he is stock piling things up for the Jazz to setup them up for the future. However, James Jones seems to be pretty good at his job too. So, hopefully, he isn't dumb enough to let Ainge outmaneuver him. The fact it was reported that James Jones wouldn't budge on gutting the Suns for KD says a ton for me. I doubt he is going to do anything stupid for Bojan.

The Utah Jazz and Danny Ainge are not the only game in town.

Hopefully, James Jones is continuing to explore trade options league wide.

However, as fans, all we know is what the media sources tell us.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Utah Jazz and Danny Ainge are not the only game in town.

Hopefully, James Jones is continuing to explore trade options league wide.

However, as fans, all we know it what is media sources tells us.
I didn't say it was. Only pointing out he is good at what he does and seems to pull of trades other teams wish they could pull off. I think James Jones so far has proved to be pretty good at his job too even though I think he made put all of his eggs in the KD basket. This may turn out to be the lowlight of his career here but as you stated he may not be done yet. Let's hope so because we missed out on some players while waiting on the KD deal to develop.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say it was. Only pointing out he is good at what he does and seems to pull of trades other teams wish they could pull off. I think James Jones so far has proved to be pretty good at his job too even though I think he made put all of his eggs in the KD basket. This may turn out to be the lowlight of his career here but as you stated he may not be done yet.

We are in agreement. This is why I hope the Suns are not locked on to dealing with the Jazz.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Bogdan Bogdanovich is the Hawks primary 6th man/scorer after the Huerter trade. He’s not getting moved.

Maybe it’s just timing but every time I watch Bojan I come away impressed. He’s about as complete of an offensive player as a 4-5th option can get. The Suns in their current form would be the best roster he’s been on.

I appreciate Crowder for all he’s done but I’ve never been his biggest fan. He’s more of an irritant than a great defender and he spends too much time on the ground. It’s not a significant upgrade but one I wouldn’t lose sleep over trading the 27-30th pick for.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I believe everyone is imagining Bogan as a power forward and he is not. He is a small forward and we really do not have a need there. I am not sure he brings that much more than Cam Johnson will this year. Cam is bigger, younger, more athletic, a better defender, and a better shooter. Having another body that can produce is fine, but you have to give up bodies to get that one. It doesn't make sense.

To me, our greatest need is a backup pg/sg.

The ideal summer would be to add Dennis Rodman and Vinnie Johnson. Ha!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say it was. Only pointing out he is good at what he does and seems to pull of trades other teams wish they could pull off. I think James Jones so far has proved to be pretty good at his job too even though I think he made put all of his eggs in the KD basket. This may turn out to be the lowlight of his career here but as you stated he may not be done yet. Let's hope so because we missed out on some players while waiting on the KD deal to develop.
All of this is just my opinion but most GM's have a circle of friends or friendly acquaintances throughout the league (executives, agents etc.) and they usually strive to treat each other fairly so they can expect to recieve similar treatment in future dealings.

I think Ainge is notoriously cutthroat and when he's trading players away for future assets he has the leverage and he exploits that leverage. As a result he racks up draft picks quickly but when the shoe is on the other foot, he then has to overpay with those assets when it's his turn to want something. So yeah, if he has something you want, you should expect to overpay by quite a bit.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All of this is just my opinion but most GM's have a circle of friends or friendly acquaintances throughout the league (executives, agents etc.) and they usually strive to treat each other fairly so they can expect to recieve similar treatment in future dealings.

I think Ainge is notoriously cutthroat and when he's trading players away for future assets he has the leverage and he exploits that leverage. As a result he racks up draft picks quickly but when the shoe is on the other foot, he then has to overpay with those assets when it's his turn to want something. So yeah, if he has something you want, you should expect to overpay by quite a bit.
I think this is accurate. Moral. Don't deal with Ainge unless you absolutely have to. That is not a compliment to him. It hurts him too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson