Suns Off-season Thread

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trading Jae Crowder and two first round picks for a 33-year-old forward on an expiring is a huge reach.

The last thing the Suns should do is a panic trade. There will be trade opportunities up until the trade deadline.
I'm not saying I am in favor of trading 2 firsts, because I don't think I am.

However I do have a strong feeling not trading Crowder is not a realistic option and I am not sure who else is even available.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not saying I am in favor of trading 2 firsts, because I don't think I am.

However I do have a strong feeling not trading Crowder is not a realistic option and I am not sure who else is even available.

Crowder is a professional. He probably wasn't thrilled with how much his name was in trade rumors and felt slighted but I fully expect he will show up and do the work.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Trading Jae Crowder and two first round picks for a 33-year-old forward on an expiring is a huge reach.

The last thing the Suns should do is a panic trade. There will be trade opportunities up until the trade deadline.
Crowder and 2 firsts? Just hang up the phone on Danny Ainge. Bogdanovic averaged 4.3 rebounds and that's his career best while getting that this year. He came in 109th in the league. Let's take the 30 NBA teams and just take a sample of the starting centers & forwards so we get 90 total frontcourt players and this guy Bodanovic came in 109th place in rebounding. So that means there are NBA guards getting more boards than him. 2.7 rebounds is his worst and that was his 1st year in the league and last years 4.3 was his best regular season rebound stat. He is a weaker rebounder than Crowder and lacks Crowder's defense. Do we need his career best 18 points per that bad? I want a better power forward than Crowder but Bodanovic really? Click to Ainge

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like the Suns. They lost A role player and kept their core intact. So far.
Oh idk just a little bit of a difference in how the season ended for both teams

Team A won a championship

Team B flamed out in epic fashion with loads of accusations and chemistry problems

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh idk just a little bit of a difference in how the season ended for both teams

Team A won a championship

Team B flamed out in epic fashion with loads of accusations and chemistry problems
...and this is the problem. You have a short memory. Yeah they had a disastrous ending, but they were also the best team in the NBA for 7 out of the 8 months of the season. That doesn't just go away.

That's fine that you want to blow it up, but it's not realistic nor practical.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I mostly gave him an A+ to counter all the D- grades. I think he did the right thing this offseason, whether that warrants an A, B or C I really don't know.
This... They got a discount for DA (still to much $ i think) for 1 less year in case he flops reducing the long term damage. It will also make it easier to trade next year if the team fails in the playoffs this year again. I think not incl CJ in any trades will work out as i see a big jump in his play and a reduced roll for Crowder probably with Jay requesting a trade by deadline.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Clarkson is a mindless chucker I’m very good with not going after him.

Bojan would be a good get but that can’t be your big move
Suns are going after the wrong Bogdonovic - we need Bogdan Bogdanović to be the 3rd Guard

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...and this is the problem. You have a short memory. Yeah they had a disastrous ending, but they were also the best team in the NBA for 7 out of the 8 months of the season. That doesn't just go away.

That's fine that you want to blow it up, but it's not realistic nor practical.

Who said blow it up?

Nobody cares how you start it’s how you finish. Hey some guys are happy just to make the playoffs.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I hope the Suns learned last season to prioritize the playoffs this season like the world champions know how to do.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been roaming the world of Twitter replies. We know how reliable that is, however, I have to ask.

Did Gambo say or hint the Jazz want two first round picks for Bojan Bogdanovic?

I don't know if there is any truth to it, or if it is speculation, but... no way.

I'd rather keep Jae Crowder.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I am with you. I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick at all. 2nd round OK. Two? Who do they think they are? The Nets? Screw that. Keep Jae.

Nobody cares how you start it’s how you finish. Hey some guys are happy just to make the playoffs.
True statement. Nobody cares or remembers much about a team that dominates the regular season but gets bounced in the playoffs except in a negative way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am with you. I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick at all. 2nd round OK. Two? Who they think they are? The Nets? Screw that. Keep Jae.

If I'm shopping more than one first round pick, I'd be looking at better players both now and going forward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, Dario playing at Eurobasket is the first step towards his return to NBA form.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm more than willing to send off our picks and swaps for real upgrade but I have no interest in overpaying for Bojan or anyone that's at best a marginal improvement for us. But if he's willing to back up Mikal that might be worth a first round pick. If we bring him in to start instead of Crowder, that's a decision we'll soon regret IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since there is not much going on, if the Suns were going to trade Crowder and a first round pick for Bojan, this is what the trade might look like. They might have to include a second round pick or two.

I only included Okogie to make the trade work. Another player can be substituted, but the Suns need to keep Cam Payne. The Suns are weak at point guard already.

In the trade below, the Suns would also move Torrey Craig and rid themselves of the second year of Shamet's salary.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2fsa7js3

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet and Saric is another option in a trade for Bojan. If picks are needed, only second round picks.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, Dario playing at Eurobasket is the first step towards his return to NBA form.

Seems pretty pedestrian against inferior players. I think the Suns should package Dario and Jae for someone. Throw in Shamet or Payne if need be.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty pedestrian against inferior players. I think the Suns should package Dario and Jae for someone. Throw in Shamet or Payne if need be.

I'd think there has to be a better market for these players, especially if draft picks are included.

I'm still hanging onto Payne unless the Suns trade for another point guard or Durant down the road.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's true, but how you finish isn't necessarily indicative of the whole.

In this case it kind of is.

It was a disaster with guys pointing fingers and fighting. This wasn’t a hey we tried our hardest and just came up short endings.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In this case it kind of is.

It was a disaster with guys pointing fingers and fighting. This wasn’t a hey we tried our hardest and just came up short endings.
If that was really the case we would have broken it up. We certainly wouldn't have matched Ayton. You are speculating.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If that was really the case we would have broken it up. We certainly wouldn't have matched Ayton. You are speculating.

I’m not speculating it was being reported by legit media just go back and look at this board.

Take your head out of the sand

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Suns don't overreach for Bojan. He is a nice role player, but that's about it.

Spend excess draft capital on another point guard if they must.