Suns @ Mavericks Sunday game thread 3-5-2023

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Well, if we're axing him because of Ayton's bad habit of mentally checking out, that seems like blame.

If they feel like going a new direction, whatever, go for it, but if we're going to axe people until Ayton learns how to stay motivated, I expect heads to perpetually roll.

I think he is who he is.

Thrilled he checked back into this game though.
If they axe Monty (I like the dude, but we need a better coach) it's not just for Ayton, it's for the lack of adjustments. That's in my opinion at least. Suns have been lousy with big man coaching for years.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Man watching Durant hit that jumper gave me flashbacks to watching dirk for all those years. Such a sweet closer, that is a gift to have that ability to close games like that. Luka missed a shot he should have made and now has to stew in it. Love the Booker/Luka feud. This is exactly what basketball needs. Great score line, every time I checked the score it seemed like it was tied. Hope they meet in the playoffs again.
Yeah but I have nightmares from time to time from last year, where Chris and Booker look at each other and say take what the defense gives you, and that lit a fire in Luka and then the Suns went down quickly and really ugly.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, if we're axing him because of Ayton's bad habit of mentally checking out, that seems like blame.

If they feel like going a new direction, whatever, go for it, but if we're going to axe people until Ayton learns how to stay motivated, I expect heads to perpetually roll.

I think he is who he is.

Thrilled he checked back into this game though.

You’re not letting Monty go because of Ayton. If you’re trying to say Ayton is a coach killer I don’t think anyone here would agree with that.

Monty’s problem is he can’t make adjustments. He gets stuck in his ways and has no idea how to get out of his own way at times.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re not letting Monty go because of Ayton. If you’re trying to say Ayton is a coach killer I don’t think anyone here would agree with that.

Monty’s problem is he can’t make adjustments. He gets stuck in his ways and has no idea how to get out of his own way at times.

If they axe Monty (I like the dude, but we need a better coach) it's not just for Ayton, it's for the lack of adjustments. That's in my opinion at least. Suns have been lousy with big man coaching for years.

Not talking about Monty in that post. Chap and I were talking about Mark Bryant.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some interesting stats on Booker and Durant.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Ross is like Warren. He gives you scoring off the bench. Okogie is a stud. He plays hard and he plays defense. I think he gives us more than Craig and others (Ish, I love you man), but if he's being left alone and can't hit the 3 coach Monty needs to make a substitution. I think he fits well with the starting lineup. He brings toughness and defense and he's been great the previous 8 games or something. Hope he forgets this one quick and keeps practicing the corner 3's. They should all practice hitting open 3's LOL.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah this is something we couldn’t do with Mikal.

Luka has actually shot comparatively poorly against us during his career. The issue has been, as it was today, that the only team in the NBA he averages more FT attempts against per game, is the Clippers.

EDIT: Actually... after today, it's probably us who allow him the most FT per game.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Bryant has done well in helping Ayton with some of the touch shots around the rim making him look like Hakeem in that respect. However, he hasn’t developed his game beyond that. Bryant wasn’t an outside shooter in the NBA, and I think Ayton wants more perimeter touches. So how could Mark Bryan be the best coach for him?

People can use words like “want,” “engagement,” and other mentalistic terms to try and discount Ayton, but the organization has not done a great job in trying to unlock his full potential.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson