Suns Get The 6th Pick

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by azcardsfan1616, May 14, 2019.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Keep Oubre, sign a veteran point guard and add some bulk at power forward. It really shouldn't be this hard.

2. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

It isn’t hard to determine what team needs are. We do that here every day.

The hard part is putting it into practice.

3. Yuma

Yuma Back in AZ!

Easier said than done, comes to mind.

4. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

It really isn’t that easy. You have to convince players to come here. We have been epically bad for three straight seasons. And haven’t had a pg or PF. Count me as skeptical they’ll be successful.

Covert Rain likes this.
  5. Yuma

Yuma Back in AZ!

Wish we had time to develop this guy.

6. Mainstreet

The Suns can match any offer to Oubre and they should. He is the third piece along with Booker and Ayton.

Adding bulk at power shouldn't be that difficult in free agency as the Suns need not look for a star. Players like Trey Lyles, Thaddeous Young, Aminu or Tai Gibson should be available at a reasonable price.

The Suns may need to clear some salary but there are veteran point guards that should be available in free agency like Rose, Joseph, or Collison. Trade of course is an option for a player like Rozier.

My priority would be keeping Oubre, adding a point guard and lastly power forward.

The draft should provide some help as well.

7. Proximo

Proximo Registered

If all they do is sign like Joseph and Thad young and draft somebody like hunter the team will barely be improved.

They need to do better than that. Not saying I think they will, but somehow it needs to happen.

8. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

They didn't get Zion and they won't sign any of the A list free agents so I would say it's a safe bet that most of the improvement next year will come from player development and hopefully good health. It would be nice to find outside answers for the PG and PF positions but I don't hold out much hope. Still, I think we can improve by 20 games or so just with Booker being healthy all season, Oubre here all season, Warren (or an equivalent player via trade) and more development from Bridges, Melton, Okobo and Ayton.

Carolinacacti likes this.
  9. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

If only the Suns could switch to the Eastern conference I could see them making the playoffs next year adding something like Joseph and Young.

I know the top of the East improved this year but I wonder if there will ever be parity amongst the conferences again, where the 8th seeds from each conference post similar records and one conference isn't that much deeper and more difficult to climb up the standings in.

10. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Booker might be healthier all season if he is not worn down by having to be the best facilitator as well as scorer.

We need to acquire an experienced Point Guard to feed Booker and Ayton. The answer is not within the organization.

BleedRed likes this.
  11. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

And yet he was only really healthy after a season long run at being just what you described. But I agree, he needs some help.

Booker needs a backcourt partner that keeps the defense honest in addition to all those other things we want from a PG but just being a threat could make a world of difference for us. Obviously I'd be thrilled with someone that could actually run an offense, feed the post, pick and roll effectively, shoot from distance, protect the dribble, drive and dish, drive and finish, defend the position and provide leadership but so far no one has answered our PG Help Wanted Ad.

Mainstreet likes this.
  12. Yuma

Yuma Back in AZ!

After watching Aminu this playoffs, I would be very happy with him. I doubt his team can afford to let him go as far as team talent goes.

13. Mainstreet

I'm not looking for a player like Thad Young to move the needle much. What I want is stronger play from the power forward position. The Suns were sadly lacking there. I want an improvement over Bender.

Where I'm looking to see the Suns improvement is at point guard while keeping Oubre. If the Suns lose Oubre they begin the search for a third piece all over again.

I've always though the Suns would be vastly improved with competent point guard play. Tyler Johnson gave the Suns a taste of it for 13 games. A player like Joseph, Tyler Johnson and a point guard in the draft would move the Suns forward.

Yuma likes this.
  14. Yuma

Yuma Back in AZ!

I agree. Bender would be way better at SF in that he can guard quicker players and shoot over them. Unfortunately we have too many guys there already. At PF and Center Bender needed to rebound much stronger. We need a guy who can shot block and sweep the boards. Any shooting is a plus because we have guys that can score already.

15. Mainstreet

We'd have to figure out a way to move Arizona.

On a more serious note I'm hoping when Stephen Curry slows down, the West will be more competitive for all the teams in it.