Suns @ Bucks Tuesday Finals game thread 7-20-2021 - Game 6

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay so I know there are a lot of fans that believe that one or more referees are out to get us and will likely cheat for the Bucks but aren't these mostly the same fans who insist the refs have been instructed to take the series to 7 games?

no they are not one and the same. I don’t believe there’s a conspiracy to stretch out series. I do believe there’s something to foster-Paul. It’s just too large of a data set, and too stark a departure from norm, to ignore (12 of 119 games is roughly 10% - Paul’s winning % is 0% in foster’s 10% and 55% in the other 90% - that’s compelling to me).
I did say "mostly". I know I've seen a lot of "refs know that the league wants them to extend the series" comments after our losses and frequently before games even if it followed a win.

But anyway, are you sure of your numbers? I had thought it was "playoff losses in a row" not playoff record all time but that might have just been an assumption on my part. Losing 13 straight is a concern but then you're just at an extra 6 or 7 losses above expectations.

If it's as you say, yeah that's worrisome. But some of it can be explained away. Paul used to be very aggressive in dealing with referees, something Foster has always had a problem with no matter who the player was. And Chris used to show them up by going on and on in addition to being among the league leaders in trying to manipulate referee calls which has also been an issue with Foster. IMO Chris isn't that same player IMO, probably hasn't been since the Houston series.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
From my perspective, it's insane the NBA would let this be a topic for conversation in the Finals.

It's not like it's an unknown issue.
Yeah that’s crossed my mind. There was even a pop up article about it on my iPhone today. Why would the nba allow for a ref to be a distraction to your crown jewel?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I did say "mostly". I know I've seen a lot of "refs know that the league wants them to extend the series" comments after our losses and frequently before games even if it followed a win.

But anyway, are you sure of your numbers? I had thought it was "playoff losses in a row" not playoff record all time but that might have just been an assumption on my part. Losing 13 straight is a concern but then you're just at an extra 6 or 7 losses above expectations.

If it's as you say, yeah that's worrisome. But some of it can be explained away. Paul used to be very aggressive in dealing with referees, something Foster has always had a problem with no matter who the player was. And Chris used to show them up by going on and on in addition to being among the league leaders in trying to manipulate referee calls which has also been an issue with Foster. IMO Chris isn't that same player IMO, probably hasn't been since the Houston series.
Hmm might be “in a row” which would change the math.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

This offers a little more insight but still doesn’t answer the whole record or just last 12 games question

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s crossed my mind. There was even a pop up article about it on my iPhone today. Why would the nba allow for a ref to be a distraction to your crown jewel?

And there was that whole mess when David Stern was the NBA commissioner when Amare and Diaw were suspended for a crucial playoff game.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me, the hammer dropped when I saw CP3 playing in person at the beginning of Game 5, and it was obvious he was nowhere near 100% physically. Even with the Suns' big first quarter, I knew the series was over right then and there.

then leave don’t watch just stop with your incessant negativity! Jesus man get the hell out of here if you just want to say I’m right I’m right grow the **** up!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. Is it a tough task yes. Just have to understand that the Bucks played an almost perfect game 5 and we still had a chance to win. We had a chance in Game 4 as well. Hopeing for a great shooting night tonight.
You could also flip this the other way. Do you think Book goes for a 3rd straight 40 ball? Do you think expect Bridges to shoot that well again? Jae Crowder to start off hot again?

Idk, I never liked these sort of takes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And there was that whole mess when David Stern was the NBA commissioner when Amare and Diaw were suspended for a crucial playoff game.
Much different. The fracas did occur. The players did leave bench. The rule did exist. Was it heavy handed? Yeah but it was driven by the players actual actions. And it wasn’t the finals.

foster could have never been a ref in this series and none would be the wiser. There would be no story other than the finals.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are expecting 60k people outside the arena they are preparing for a celebration, I hope the Suns use this as fuel and win. The pressure is kind of in the Bucks as well they don’t want to come back to Phoenix, gauranteed! And they may have just blew their load and played their best game of the post season last game, I mean when do all 3 of their big 3 all show up on the same night? They accounted for 115 of their points, only 8 points manufactured by other players that’s crazy!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much different. The fracas did occur. The players did leave bench. The rule did exist. Was it heavy handed? Yeah but it was driven by the players actual actions. And it wasn’t the finals.

foster could have never been a ref in this series and none would be the wiser. There would be no story other than the finals.

It feels a bit like taunting except there is no one to make the call.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I DON'T CARE IF BANANA FOSTERS IS THE REF!
The Suns have to play well enough to take cheating refs off the table. If they lose its on them. period
I never thought this team was ready for a DEEP playoff run, FFS we are playing shooting guards at the PF position. That's just wrong. WRONG!

But here we are, with a chance. Just enjoy the ride.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
then leave don’t watch just stop with your incessant negativity! Jesus man get the hell out of here if you just want to say I’m right I’m right grow the **** up!

Jeez. Take a look at the posts to which I was responding. This has nothing at all to do with me saying "I'm right I'm right"...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You could also flip this the other way. Do you think Book goes for a 3rd straight 40 ball? Do you think expect Bridges to shoot that well again? Jae Crowder to start off hot again?

Idk, I never liked these sort of takes.

none of it matter if Paul comes out and plays the way he’s been playing. This is the finals and stars need to play like stars

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That lead was a fluke. Holiday got two quick fouls, came out early and the Suns built a big lead. As soon as he came back in the lead started to decrease.

Unfortunately, Holiday was fresh and got to play against the Suns' backups which is when things went sideways in the second quarter.

I'm not trying to excuse the loss or anything, but I don't think the Suns necessarily choked.

Kurt Warner choked.

Yeah I am just talking excitement to heartbreak, not really the causality. I felt we were basically unstoppable at home.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
none of it matter if Paul comes out and plays the way he’s been playing. This is the finals and stars need to play like stars

Again, only so much you can do if you do not have the full use of your hand/arm.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think tonight isn’t close one way or another. Either the Suns win by 10 or get their doors blown in.

I’m hoping for the surprise return to form and Milwaukee Buckling!

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think tonight isn’t close one way or another. Either the Suns win by 10 or get their doors blown in.

I’m hoping for the surprise return to form and Milwaukee Buckling!
That’s a fair assessment. But normally we’ve been really good in close games. We had the lead for 38 minutes in Game 4. Just couldn’t close that deal. Everyone is starting to the Bucks. We need to play a full 48 minutes. Sure there will be missed calls, shots and turnovers but we CAN control how we respond to adversity as a team. And honestly, for the minutes they get, our bench HAS to show up. We’re actually outscoring them with our starters +34. We have to win the bench minutes if Giannis isn’t out there.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need Crowder, and others to hit their 3s or shots period when they get them! Booker and Paul can’t be the only ones to score this team wins when we have balance scoring from all our starters. Can’t afford any no shows tonight!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Booker better play most of the game no 6 minute breaks that’s crazy rest in the offseason which may be here now if you try resting our starters too much! Monte must MUST adjust and play this as an elimination game and stop managing minutes this is not the regular season and Book doesn’t need to sit for that long that’s was ridiculous and probably the reason we lost and gave away a huge lead!

AzCards777

Rookie
Reaction score

Idk, I never liked these sort of takes
You're right, i just find it hard to believe that they will replicate that type of offensive output this time around. Perhaps we wont either but to think that we have no shot like some here say is also not realistic.

I believe we go as far as CP3 takes us. We will need a 30pt 10+ assist game from him to have a chance in game 6.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Booker better play most of the game no 6 minute breaks that’s crazy rest in the offseason which may be here now if you try resting our starters too much! Monte must MUST adjust and play this as an elimination game and stop managing minutes this is not the regular season and Book doesn’t need to sit for that long that’s was ridiculous and probably the reason we lost and gave away a huge lead!
If Booker had started quarter 2 on the floor, Suns win the game going away.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right, i just find it hard to believe that they will replicate that type of offensive output this time around. Perhaps we wont either but to think that we have no shot like some here say is also not realistic.

I believe we go as far as CP3 takes us. We will need a 30pt 10+ assist game from him to have a chance in game 6.

I think we win handily if we get that version of Chris Paul. But even if we don't get that level of performance from him, IMO if we get any version other than the really bad CP3, we have a decent chance to win the game.