Suns @ Bucks Sunday Finals game thread 7-11-2021 - Game 3

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Foster's appointment for game 3? Too predictable.

You have to remember, the NBA does not want a sweep.

I was 90% sure this was going to happen. It will probably work. I just hope we keep the game close at least.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Downtown Milwaukee is on fire since yesterday. I'm a block and a half from the arena and I think tonight is going to be NUTS. I'll try and post a pic or two later.

Would have been much easier on Tapatalk!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the stat relates to playoff games. In that case Pauls winning percentage probably isn’t much higher than 50%. If the games are mostly second round games his percentage is probably under 50%. In that case the chances of 0-11 is still low but not as low as one might assume.
61-58 career playoff record. A 51% deviation in ten percent of games played with a single known (admittedly there may be others) common variable. Strains credulity.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Foster had to be assigned a game in the Finals, this is the best possible one. I think that anyone expecting a Suns sweep was kidding themselves. A motivated and desperate Bucks team was likely going to win Game 3 anyway. The Suns just need to use that as motivation for Game 4, the way they did in the first half of Game 4 of the Clippers series.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to remember, the NBA does not want a sweep.

I was 90% sure this was going to happen. It will probably work. I just hope we keep the game close at least.

I just hope there’s no BS T’s called on Book/Crowder. We will have to mind our p’s and q’s tonight.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It says a lot about the Bucks if they need a win with the help of biased officiating instead of their talent. I know they didn’t ask for this but if they win this game it will be a hollowed victory. And I hope they will call it as such.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Foster had to be assigned a game in the Finals, this is the best possible one. I think that anyone expecting a Suns sweep was kidding themselves. A motivated and desperate Bucks team was likely going to win Game 3 anyway. The Suns just need to use that as motivation for Game 4, the way they did in the first half of Game 4 of the Clippers series.
The Suns are very capable of sweeping the Bucks without biased officiating

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns are very capable of sweeping the Bucks without biased officiating

The Bucks are good enough of a team to win at least one, and this was by far the most likely one for them to win, officiating or not. This isn't a Nuggets team missing Murray and Barton against a fully healthy Suns team. It's a fully healthy Bucks team against a Suns team missing Saric and with a hobbled Craig and CP3.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as referees call it the same for both teams I have no problem with it.

From my observation Chris Paul treats the referees fairly so when he makes note of a referee I have to think twice.

I don't believe the Bucks players are better behaved than the Suns players.

I think he's been great with the refs this season and has had a positive impact in the way other Phoenix players interact with officials. But that hasn't always been the case, quite the opposite.

CP used to be one of the more aggressive players when it came to working the referees, made worse because he was one of the biggest floppers/actors in the game. He still flops (but not as often) and he still tries to get the refs to make the wrong call occasionally but now he restrains himself if they don't initially bite. Not restraining himself is usually what got Chris in trouble with Foster. So, I'm hoping that the new and much improved CP3 will help us in dealing with the refs tonight.

I think the Bucks are very similar to us in how they deal with the refs. Middleton flops and tries to buy calls often but he's not that good at it, Booker flops occasionally but he's equally inept at getting the refs to buy it.

PJ plays a very physical game and could easily be tossed a few minutes into the first quarter each night unless the refs allow him to play his style. The same thing goes for Crowder. Bridges and Jrue both play fairly physically but neither of them typically oversell contact or irritate the refs.

The big difference is that Giannis is allowed to drive into contact. But it's not like we don't foul him a lot also. He should be called for a few more offensive fouls every night but we probably should be called a couple more times against him too.

Anyway, I think the refereeing has been decent so far in this series and I expect it to continue. Neither Milwaukee nor Phoenix are among the protected franchises (LAL, Boston etc.) and neither team has an untouchable player like Lebron or Paul George. We get some breaks with Booker and Paul some nights, Giannis gets some breaks almost every night but it's not to the Stern era superstar treatment. The point of all this is, the refs won't stop us from winning this game unless we allow it. JMO.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I haven't given up on tonight!!!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's been great with the refs this season and has had a positive impact in the way other Phoenix players interact with officials. But that hasn't always been the case, quite the opposite.

CP used to be one of the more aggressive players when it came to working the referees, made worse because he was one of the biggest floppers/actors in the game. He still flops (but not as often) and he still tries to get the refs to make the wrong call occasionally but now he restrains himself if they don't initially bite. Not restraining himself is usually what got Chris in trouble with Foster. So, I'm hoping that the new and much improved CP3 will help us in dealing with the refs tonight.

I think the Bucks are very similar to us in how they deal with the refs. Middleton flops and tries to buy calls often but he's not that good at it, Booker flops occasionally but he's equally inept at getting the refs to buy it.

PJ plays a very physical game and could easily be tossed a few minutes into the first quarter each night unless the refs allow him to play his style. The same thing goes for Crowder. Bridges and Jrue both play fairly physically but neither of them typically oversell contact or irritate the refs.

The big difference is that Giannis is allowed to drive into contact. But it's not like we don't foul him a lot also. He should be called for a few more offensive fouls every night but we probably should be called a couple more times against him too.

Anyway, I think the refereeing has been decent so far in this series and I expect it to continue. Neither Milwaukee nor Phoenix are among the protected franchises (LAL, Boston etc.) and neither team has an untouchable player like Lebron or Paul George. We get some breaks with Booker and Paul some nights, Giannis gets some breaks almost every night but it's not to the Stern era superstar treatment. The point of all this is, the refs won't stop us from winning this game unless we allow it. JMO.

I think the referees have okay thus far but I think Giannis gets the star treatment. He can play out of control and still get the calls.

Also on some of those drives he leads with the elbows.

In Game 2 he ran over Paul who was clearly set and no whistle.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the Suns mindset for Game 3.

By Duane Rankin Arizona Republic dated July 10th, 2021:

"For us, the biggest game of the year is tomorrow," Suns All-Star point guard Chris Paul said. "Tomorrow. It's a must-win game for us. We've got to come out with that mindset. Know that they're home, they're more comfortable, they will be in front of their fans, but we got to be us. We got to be us and we got to be the hungrier team, and so that's what we'll do."

------------------------------------------

"We're prepared for this moment," Suns forward Jae Crowder said. "I think all year, we've been talking about trying to come together on the road and get our road presence in a sense. I just feel like you just can't turn it on right now in this moment. You have to prepare yourself for this and I think we've done a great job of talking and preparing ourselves for moments like we're going to face the next few days. It's the Finals. You expect a tough crowd, especially when you're on the road. It's playing for it all, so we're prepared for it."

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My concern is injuries. Foster lets a lot of extra-curricular go.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The players just can't let themselves get wrapped up in who the ref is. We have shown multiple times in these playoffs that we can overcome the refs favoring the opponent. I would argue game 2 of this series is one of those games.

I'm not completely confident CP can look past it though considering in his presser before the finals he said he expects 0-12. Not a great mindset to have going into a game if you want to win. Hopefully he will be able to not let it get to his head.
I was at the game, and I don't know if it is the angles on the big screen in the stadium, but about half the fouls called on us looked like our guys didn't even touch the other player. We could have really gone off the rails on the refs, but our guys stayed focused!!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Bucks are good enough of a team to win at least one, and this was by far the most likely one for them to win, officiating or not. This isn't a Nuggets team missing Murray and Barton against a fully healthy Suns team. It's a fully healthy Bucks team against a Suns team missing Saric and with a hobbled Craig and CP3.
Just for sake of argument here, I am not so sure the Bucks are better than Denver. I think both LA teams were harder for us to beat. I am thinking this is like us playing Denver, who had an MVP big man. We seemed to figure that formula out as we played more games against them. I saw the Bucks completely change their defenses in two games and we scored 118 in each. The only thing I will say for the Bucks is no way that Middleton only scores 11 in a game again, unless he leaves early for injury. Also, Gianiss' leg looks worse after two games. Not sure how long he can keep giving it max effort like game two. I don't know how much they showed on the broadcast of how he was hobbling on that leg during time outs at the end of the game.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
E
Just for sake of argument here, I am not so sure the Bucks are better than Denver. I think both LA teams were harder for us to beat. I am thinking this is like us playing Denver, who had an MVP big man. We seemed to figure that formula out as we played more games against them. I saw the Bucks completely change their defenses in two games and we scored 118 in each. The only thing I will say for the Bucks is no way that Middleton only scores 11 in a game again, unless he leaves early for injury. Also, Gianiss' leg looks worse after two games. Not sure how long he can keep giving it max effort like game two. I don't know how much they showed on the broadcast of how he was hobbling on that leg during time outs at the end of the game.

Nah, they are better than Denver.

We have no ability to slow Giannis down. When Middleton gets hot he is an elite player. He is far far better than Denver had as a secondary scorer with Porter Jr. Holiday's D is also way better at slowing CP3 than anyone Denver had.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
E

Nah, they are better than Denver.

We have no ability to slow Giannis down. When Middleton gets hot he is an elite player. He is far far better than Denver had as a secondary scorer with Porter Jr. Holiday's D is also way better at slowing CP3 than anyone Denver had.
Watched an NBA segment where they showed Holiday picking up CP3 full court, and each time he did, CP3 left him in the dust and had an open shot or assist. They were saying that Holiday needs to NOT pick up CP3 full court. They also suggested he may be more effective on Booker than CP3, since CP3 seems to have figured him out.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the Suns mindset for Game 3.

By Duane Rankin Arizona Republic dated July 10th, 2021:

"For us, the biggest game of the year is tomorrow," Suns All-Star point guard Chris Paul said. "Tomorrow. It's a must-win game for us. We've got to come out with that mindset. Know that they're home, they're more comfortable, they will be in front of their fans, but we got to be us. We got to be us and we got to be the hungrier team, and so that's what we'll do."

------------------------------------------

"We're prepared for this moment," Suns forward Jae Crowder said. "I think all year, we've been talking about trying to come together on the road and get our road presence in a sense. I just feel like you just can't turn it on right now in this moment. You have to prepare yourself for this and I think we've done a great job of talking and preparing ourselves for moments like we're going to face the next few days. It's the Finals. You expect a tough crowd, especially when you're on the road. It's playing for it all, so we're prepared for it."

I love how the players are focused on this game. You'd never guess they were up 2-0 based on how everyone is talking about it. It really sounds like they're not just down but facing elimination. Credit to Monty and his crew.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I was at the game, and I don't know if it is the angles on the big screen in the stadium, but about half the fouls called on us looked like our guys didn't even touch the other player. We could have really gone off the rails on the refs, but our guys stayed focused!!
Yes, but it could be different with Foster because there is a past there. So it could very easily go straight to the refs are trying to screw us after a couple bad calls.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Saw on yesterday's media availability day, the Suns training staff worked with Jae Crowder on setting up caterers for the Suns. Jae said they will not be seen going out. The players all plan to be locked in the hotel and focusing on these two games. Crowder said they are treating as 0-0 series.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose