Suns @ Bucks Sunday Finals game thread 7-11-2021 - Game 3

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Sitting in the Atlanta airport with a suns shirt on. Waiting for my flight to Milwaukee. Many stares.... Multiple nice people telling me if we were playing anyone else.... They'd be rooting for us.

Odd. Stop being nice to me! Haha
I met a couple of young Hawaiians with The Valley shirts on my plane flight home from Phoenix. They became Suns fans in the Nash years. They had flown out from Hawaii to go to game 2 and were on their way back home. Pretty cool to see.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't want to jinx anything, but I am not sure we will see another game in PHX this year! :)

This would be fantastic from my perspective. We have the rest of the summer to celebrate.

Suns need to take care of business tonight.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

LMAO of course. Giannis gets his sidekick

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not too worried about Foster. He typically calls slightly more fouls than the average ref and while he and Paul have history, the list of players that feel the same way about him is quite lengthy. He's often named as the most disliked referee in the game but he tends to grade out at or near the top by the NBA. CP3 and Booker just need to not push the guy's buttons.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about Foster. He typically calls slightly more fouls than the average ref and while he and Paul have history, the list of players that feel the same way about him is quite lengthy. He's often named as the most disliked referee in the game but he tends to grade out at or near the top by the NBA. CP3 and Booker just need to not push the guy's buttons.

Say what you will but I don't want to count to 12. :computer:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Say what you will but I don't want to count to 12. :madarms:
The players just can't let themselves get wrapped up in who the ref is. We have shown multiple times in these playoffs that we can overcome the refs favoring the opponent. I would argue game 2 of this series is one of those games.

I'm not completely confident CP can look past it though considering in his presser before the finals he said he expects 0-12. Not a great mindset to have going into a game if you want to win. Hopefully he will be able to not let it get to his head.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The players just can't let themselves get wrapped up in who the ref is. We have shown multiple times in these playoffs that we can overcome the refs favoring the opponent. I would argue game 2 of this series is one of those games.

I'm not completely confident CP can look past it though considering in his presser before the finals he said he expects 0-12. Not a great mindset to have going into a game if you want to win. Hopefully he will be able to not let it get to his head.

Yeah. For awhile I thought the referees were going to let the Bucks use boxing gloves in the 1st half.

Until proven otherwise I'm with Chris Paul.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah. For awhile I thought the referees were going to let the Bucks use boxing gloves in the 1st half.

Until proven otherwise I'm with Chris Paul.
Whether Foster is against Paul or not it isn't going to help him or the team to dwell on it. They just have to play their game and focus on doing what they can to win the game.

We saw what happened in game 3 against the Clippers when the team started to focus on the refs and it wasn't pretty. They need to remember the games that they won when the refs appeared to be against them in these playoffs. That will give them a much better chance of overcoming the refs tonight if they seem to be favoring the Bucks.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Booker and Paul need to stop hunting and-ones by kicking the legs out on jump shots. Ease up on selling fouls, too. A ref like Foster takes that as disrespect and will punish you for it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether Foster is against Paul or not it isn't going to help him or the team to dwell on it. They just have to play their game and focus on doing what they can to win the game.

We saw what happened in game 3 against the Clippers when the team started to focus on the refs and it wasn't pretty. They need to remember the games that they won when the refs appeared to be against them in these playoffs. That will give them a much better chance of overcoming the refs tonight if they seem to be favoring the Bucks.

There is really not much choice. Focusing on the game is about all they can do and not let the referees get under their skin.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker and Paul need to stop hunting and-ones by kicking the legs out on jump shots. Ease up on selling fouls, too. A ref like Foster takes that as disrespect and will punish you for it.

Referees might want to look at Giannis too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say what you will but I don't want to count to 12. :computer:
Foster has a short trigger and does not allow sustained reactions from the players but the players already know that. If we allow this to become a problem, that's on us not Scott.

There have always been rumors that Foster was dirty (close friend of Donaghy) but even if he was "dirty" at one time, I don't believe he could have continued that way (too much scrutiny). Anyway, we just need to keep our emotional outbursts short and play our game.

If we get screwed we get screwed. But there was a time in this league where Foster's style of keeping players at a distance and maintaining tight control was the standard. Maybe it's changed (I assume it has changed) but most of us that played any level of basketball and are over 45 grew up expecting referees to act like Foster does IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Foster has a short trigger and does not allow sustained reactions from the players but the players already know that. If we allow this to become a problem, that's on us not Scott.

There have always been rumors that Foster was dirty (close friend of Donaghy) but even if he was "dirty" at one time, I don't believe he could have continued that way (too much scrutiny). Anyway, we just need to keep our emotional outbursts short and play our game.

If we get screwed we get screwed. But there was a time in this league where Foster's style of keeping players at a distance and maintaining tight control was the standard. Maybe it's changed (I assume it has changed) but most of us that played any level of basketball and are over 45 grew up expecting referees to act like Foster does IMO.

As long as referees call it the same for both teams I have no problem with it.

From my observation Chris Paul treats the referees fairly so when he makes note of a referee I have to think twice.

I don't believe the Bucks players are better behaved than the Suns players.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

It would be hilarious if it weren’t so damned predictable and awful. Foster gets to add to his “legacy.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
While this may be true, how many of those players have an 0-11 mark with him him reffing? Can’t be many bc some players have to end up on the other wiser of those games. The probability of that stat being a pure accident is difficult to believe given Paul’s overall winning percentages.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think book and Paul are hunting fouls. With most midrange jump shots you’re floating a bit from the launch spot which would cause your foot to rise and Paul’s jumpers almost all have a lean back which also requires a leg to rise as a counterbalance. Do I think some players (including Paul and book) do it purposefully to attempt to get a foul? Yes. Do I think every instance of a leg kick is such an attempt? No. And in fact I think the one that was called an offensive foul on book was a bad call.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
While this may be true, how many of those players have an 0-11 mark with him him reffing? Can’t be many bc some players have to end up on the other wiser of those games. The probability of that stat being a pure accident is difficult to believe given Paul’s overall winning percentages.
I think the stat relates to playoff games. In that case Pauls winning percentage probably isn’t much higher than 50%. If the games are mostly second round games his percentage is probably under 50%. In that case the chances of 0-11 is still low but not as low as one might assume.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne talks about the keys to winning and the importance of beating the Lakers in the first round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson