State Of The Team

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Garthshort, May 4, 2021.

1. DVontel

DVontel Registered

I like Vrabel, but he is a HC with a DC background & Tennessee regressed HARD last season with him in charge. We’ll see how he does with Arthur Smith’s departure. Meanwhile, Nagy will(probably) be playing with a competent QB for the first time ever in Fields & has only missed the playoffs once despite fielding atrocious QB play.

If Fields at least has a decent rookie season, Chicago will be a MUCH harder game than Tennessee.

Nate and PACardsFan like this.
  2. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

upload_2021-5-6_20-18-46.png

3. Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky Registered

Lol. I could've looked up his name but I was lazy. My point is, he can give us at least as much as Kennard so why not just cut him loose?

4. Cardsfaninlouky

He's costing us 6 million & basically gives us nothing. The Duke player can give us that much & won't cost 6 million lol.

5. Cardsfaninlouky

I'm sure they do but the kid looks like he has a lot of potential rushing the passer. With his motor combined with Jones & Watt rushing, who knows? May be another Gardeck type of pass rusher?

6. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

No matter what...Solar just sticks with the "Cardinals suck" party line even if it isn't true.

That 2015 line was decent, but didn't have a single player as good as Humphries OR Hudson. Maybe Iupati, but that dude was always getting hurt and was making Pro Bowls at that point based purely on reputation.

Garthshort and daves like this.
  7. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

And they (the Rams) lost their starting center who was a competent center, which isn't really an easy position to replace. And Andrew Whitworth is THIRTY NINE...AND Stafford really isnt worth what they threw at him....he's the older Jared Goff.

John Johnson was probably their third best defender. You don't get better by constantly letting good players get away.

No granted, they do have Jordan Fuller on the roster and he looked good at times, but Johnson is a Pro Bowl caliber player.

daves likes this.
  8. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Stafford did not have quality surrounding him. Marvin jones was his beat wr last year and the rbs were as pedestrian as they can be.

Solar7 likes this.
  9. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

decent? nah. You don't have the #2 offense in points and #1 offense in yards with just a decent line. Individually, no one may have been at the level of Humphries or Hudson, but as a UNIT they were among the best in the league. They were #6th in the league in sacks given up, giving Palmer enough time for a high powered passing attack and somehow made Chris Johnson's quickly rotting corpse lead the league in rushing before his body broke down on him and then didn't skip a beat but actually got better with DJ after.

I think people forget how much of a juggernaut that offense was before in the running regular season MVP Palmer went choke-artist Playoff Palmer.

This year's line has 3/5s of the line set with good to very good players, but mediocrity at best at RT and a big goose-egg on G. Remains to be seen if the right side of the line can hold up it's end of the bargain to make the unit as good as 2015.

Bottom line this for me... do you think we're going to have the best or second best offense in the league in both yards and points this year? Because that's the comparison with the 2015 offense.

Solar7 and kerouac9 like this.
  10. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

Pretty sure we ain’t gonna go .500

the team is a little better if guys stay healthy
    But the schedule is much tougher

I don’t think it’s a net loss but it isn’t much of a gain

that being said.... if Kyler and KK take the next step.... just the addition of the new kicker should get us a couple more wins

I can see them pulling off 10-7
    But a couple injuries and seeing 5-12 is just as easy

hell who knows.... the organization needs fundamental changes and we haven’t seen any of that so they will stay the same
    Bottom 25% team with an occasional bounce that gets them into the playoffs
    Pretty sure this year will be the bounce..... why?

because it’s the Cardinals way

with a big bounce everything will look bright and rosey.... so they will sign Kyler to a mahomes-esque 50 mil+ contract which will hamper the team from adding new players once our outlying over achievers plummet back to earth....

then we’ll spend the next ten plus years watching the Kyler Murray show as his high flying antics propel us to season after season of 9-8 and just missing the wild card

Solar7 likes this.
  11. BritCard

BritCard Registered

You're confusing ability with output. As proven by the careers of most of those guys after that season (or before and after in Freeney's case). A guy who had 4 sacks combined the 2 previous years and 6 combined the 2 years after. Compared to the 8 he had in 11 games for that team.

Do I prefer 31 year old Chandler Jones to 36 year old ghost of Freeney? Sure I do. Golden had 4 sacks that year as a rookie. Even last year he had 4.5, and 10 the year before. Alex Okafor had 2 sacks in 2015. Gardeck had 7 in 90 snaps last year. So yeah, I prefer the current bunch. You're just looking at that team with rose tinted glasses on.

2015 Golden and Okafor were nothing special. Floyd washed out of the league after that year. John Brown has had one 1000 yard season since then, and has averaged about 40 yards a game played.

Put Kirk in that 2015 team and he gets 1000 yards.

My whole point is that we aren't lacking talent. We just don't use it very well.

Krangthebrain, Garthshort and oaken1 like this.
  12. BritCard

BritCard Registered

This is true.

13. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Again, this is confusing output with individual talent. That 2015 team had great output because it was well managed. Sure, it had talent, but the coaching, game plays, play calling and leadership from both players and coaches was much better.

This roster has as much talent on it as the 2015 team, this year it does anyway. But will it have all those things I just mentioned that means it has the output it should?

daves likes this.
  14. BritCard

BritCard Registered

kerouac9 likes this.
  15. daves

daves Keepin' it real! Contributor

Really? I mean, obviously the Rams thought so to give up so much to get Stafford, but... Stafford has a career 89.9 passer rating (96.3 last year), while Goff has a career 91.5 rating (90.0 last year). McVay obviously thinks Stafford is a better fit for his system, and i've always liked Stafford, but he's never been a winner in big games or prime time games. I'm in the "wait and see" camp regarding whether he'll be "enormously" or just marginally better.

...dave

cardncubfan, Krangthebrain and oaken1 like this.