Somers: Cards could go after Adrian Peterson

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kent Somers was a guest on the Burns & Gambo Show yesterday. He said that if AP is released by the Vikings it would not surprise him if Keim went after AP as he would fit in well with Arian's offense. Wolf & Doug talked about this on their morning show today (Tuesday). The felt that Somers is very credible on Cardinals info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doug & Wolf also felt that the Cards may have purposely thrown out this "rumor" to see what the fan reaction will be to going after AP.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somers is a great source but saying they "could go after AP" likely isnt sourced material. Every team could go after AP. If he said they Will, that would be different.

Reaction score
I don't understand contracts and such, but couldn't the Cardinals restructure Larrys contract with the sole purpose of trading him to the Vikings for Peterson?

He has so many ties there - and with Bridgewater as QB the potential would be sky high.

And I for one would love Peterson here.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
His cap figure for 2015: $12.5M. 2016: $14.5M.

Just can't see how the Cardinals could afford him and have the money to sign key free agents.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just can't see how the Cardinals could afford him and have the money to sign key free agents.

We could very well be cut making his cap figure useless.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
We could very well be cut making his cap figure useless.

Why would he want to play for the Cardinals? BA's offense is pass happy and we have yet to build an offensive line that any RB would want to run behind.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would he want to play for the Cardinals? BA's offense is pass happy and we have yet to build an offensive line that any RB would want to run behind.

Because he wants to play for a winner? Play for a 2 time coach of the year in 3 years? Play with a solid defense? Won't be forced to run 300+ times a season prolonging his career?

Those all look pretty good to me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because he wants to play for a winner? Play for a 2 time coach of the year in 3 years? Play with a solid defense? Won't be forced to run 300+ times a season prolonging his career?

Those all look pretty good to me.

Other teams will offer a LOT more money than we would.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

If they let him go maybe he is forced to sign a prove it contract. He is great but with a year off and a tarnished reputation he may need to be flexible.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe, who knows. I know I would, but you never know the feeling around the league. We could trade for him as well so we wouldn't have to worry about that.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Setting all of Peterson's warts aside I don't see him being agreeable to carrying the ball maybe 175-200 times a year. The team total was 397 and Ellington had 201. Even if you keep Ellington around the 150-175 mark that only leaves at best 200 for Peterson. You have to figure Williams getting around 50 carries and Taylor seeing 30-40 and when you factor in 15-20 carries for QB sneaks and WR runs there isn't that many carries left for Peterson. BA isn't suddenly going to become a run first offense.

Secondly why would you pay for Peterson when you would only have him carrying the ball 200 times. It makes no sense. You would be better off paying Fitz in a pass heavy offense. You can get a FA or draft a RB that can get the offense what it needs for a lot less than Peterson would cost.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Secondly why would you pay for Peterson when you would only have him carrying the ball 200 times. It makes no sense. You would be better off paying Fitz in a pass heavy offense. You can get a FA or draft a RB that can get the offense what it needs for a lot less than Peterson would cost.

I'm not buying what you are selling here. Peterson now is way better than Fitz is. Fitz in this pass happy offense we have now isn't doing all that well.

Besides, I don't think Peterson would mind 200-250 carries with Ellington getting 100-150.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I think we would get him but man it would be nice to have him in the backfield.

No question. I'm sure he will be one of the cleanest players in the NFL after this entire child abuse thing went down.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Setting all of Peterson's warts aside I don't see him being agreeable to carrying the ball maybe 175-200 times a year. The team total was 397 and Ellington had 201. Even if you keep Ellington around the 150-175 mark that only leaves at best 200 for Peterson. You have to figure Williams getting around 50 carries and Taylor seeing 30-40 and when you factor in 15-20 carries for QB sneaks and WR runs there isn't that many carries left for Peterson. BA isn't suddenly going to become a run first offense.

I don't want to be rude but how does one even come up with this type of ridiculousness??? I'm honestly curious. This easily goes down as one of the all time most senseless post I've ever seen. We're talking about the best player in the NFL and you're talking about whether there'll be enough carries for him after we feed our injury-prone, contact-wary scatback and Stephan Taylor???? Really?

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

He'll be 30 next month. That seems to be the magic age for RB's to decline in productivity. Teams will be very wary of giving a 30 year old RB a lot of money. Not playing last year may give him a few extra miles but it is still a risk.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

C'mon man, you're better than that. There's a big difference between bring pass-happy when you have a hurt Andre Ellington with no depth and the best RB in the game. I think Arians knows enough to adapt to his players. Who was the most pass-happy coach in recent memory? I'd say Mike Martz. Check Marshall Faulk's and Matt Forte's numbers under him.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He'll be 30 next month. That seems to be the magic age for RB's to decline in productivity. Teams will be very wary of giving a 30 year old RB a lot of money. Not playing last year may give him a few extra miles but it is still a risk.

If you look at his miraculous return from knee surgery and rushing yards that year you realize that you cant measure him against the average. As for the idea of having enough carries and Fitz' cost and view, my guess is the idea of having AP here and winning a Superbowl would appeal to Fitz and AP. Imagine the weapons this offense would have between those two, the other WRs and Ellington. Add a little help to the line and another TE and that would be very difficult to defend.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I don't want to be rude but how does one even come up with this type of ridiculousness??? I'm honestly curious. This easily goes down as one of the all time most senseless post I've ever seen. We're talking about the best player in the NFL and you're talking about whether there'll be enough carries for him after we feed our injury-prone, contact-wary scatback and Stephan Taylor???? Really?

First Peterson is not the best player in the NFL. Not even close, so there is hole one in your argument. Secondly do you really think BA and SK is just going to toss aside the offense they have built the last two years to accommodate Peterson? Get real. That is hole number two. Ellington played injured all year and was never 100%. You have him as a injury prone RB after one year of injuries caused by overuse and running him up the middle too much. If that is the case then so is Peterson because he has missed time due to injury. Hole number three. Can you really justify paying a player who is going to be on the field roughly 50% of the time and pay him like he is going to be an every down player. Even Minnesota took him out on passing downs. He was not a big part of their passing offense. Hole number four.

You are not looking at this from a reality standpoint. The guy has already carried the ball over 2,000 times in the NFL. That is a lot of wear and tear. He has already tore ligaments in his knee twice. If you think he is going to take anything less than $10M a year you are talking crazy talk. The last three years of his present contract call for $15M, $15M, and $17M. Are you willing to pay that to a guy who is going to carry the ball 200 times a year? BA is not going to take carries away from Ellington. When BASK are looking at getting another RB who is similar to Ellington then they are looking for some one that not only can carry the ball but can catch the ball. The team let Dwyer go for a lot less. Do you really think Michael Bidwill is up to the PR of signing a guy who beat his kid with a switch and stuffed leaves in his mouth? We are talking about a 4 year old. His excuse that all black parents in the South do it is ludicrous.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'm not buying what you are selling here. Peterson now is way better than Fitz is. Fitz in this pass happy offense we have now isn't doing all that well.

Besides, I don't think Peterson would mind 200-250 carries with Ellington getting 100-150.

I think you are underestimating his ego. He was the offense in Minnesota. He would have to share the limelight in AZ. I also read he wants to stay in Minny.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One injured year = injury prone?

When it comes to AP, teams will still pony up. Bet on it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chopper: Cards could go after Patrick Willis.

Chopper was not a guest on the Burns & Gambo Show yesterday. He said that if PW is released by the 49ers it would not surprise him if Keim went after PW as he would fit in well with Cardinal's defense. Wolf & Doug did not talk about this on their morning show today (Tuesday). I'm sure they felt that Chopper was as credible as Sommers on Cardinals info that is pure speculation on forcasted events which are unclear to occur.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard