Concerned that Bettcher could be Cards HC

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Listening to Doug and Wolf this morning. (Monday). They are pushing again Bettcher as the guy especially since Cards have not yet made a decision. This is dragging on; Cards can just say we interviewed many candidates and decided our in house guy Bettcher is best. BA is really pushing him per interview Friday on Burns & Gambo show.

I don't like Bettcher. I don't see him as a leader and feel that lots of BAs staff will still have jobs. I feel we should clean house as the Cards have been in a down fall the past two years. Hope I'm wrong but I am worried.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Wondering what Arians thinks about the current head coaching opening, is like wondering what Bill Clinton thinks about current events.

I understand Arians was in a position where he mattered at one point, but at this point he is just another fan. He is retired.

On a sidenote, I love, absolutely love, how the Cardinals front office has the entire NFL-o-sphere, on their collective ears because they cannot get a scoop from the Cardinals. This includes Gambo, and KTAR as a whole.

To the point, were people are getting angry. A little life advise, no one is owed and explanation. Just find it funny in the day of the 24hr new cycle that some people, not directed a AZ Jam in any way, shape or form, btw, feel they are entitled to know everyone they wish to.

When the coach is chosen, they will let everyone know.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arians retired. His loyalties to his staff created the drop off. Go to Georgia and try to wind down. Cards do not need your "preferences". It's over. Go quietly into the night.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Listening to Doug and Wolf this morning. (Monday). They are pushing again Bettcher as the guy especially since Cards have not yet made a decision. This is dragging on; Cards can just say we interviewed many candidates and decided our in house guy Bettcher is best. BA is really pushing him per interview Friday on Burns & Gambo show.

I don't like Bettcher. I don't see him as a leader and feel that lots of BAs staff will still have jobs. I feel we should clean house as the Cards have been in a down fall the past two years. Hope I'm wrong but I am worried.

MB is way to smart and methodical to settle. If he hires Bettcher it will be because he thinks he and his chosen coordinators are the best option. I don't think what Arians, Doug or Wolf will influence his decision. He has $2.15 Billion reasons to interview everyone he deems a good fit as many times as he needs to and if it ends up being Bettcher you can Betcha MB beilieves he can be the long term leader who gets him a ring. All that to say, I am not endorcing Bettcher, just believing MB isn't interviewing people "just say we interviewed many candidates and decided our in house guy."

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BA wants his guys so he can still be a part of training camp and coaching for fun on the side. If we do not hire one of his guys, he sais he would probably go help Bowles.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who gives a damn what BA thinks or wants. I can't believe Bettcher would be in any HC discussion. Shocked by this to be honest and will be sick if they hire this guy.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
It has to be either DeFilippo, Schwartz or Flores. If it was Wilks, Armstrong or Bettcher they would already been hired. Wouldn't be a ringing endorsement to your new HC to wait so long despite being available to hire for multiple weeks.

There's nothing wrong in keeping doors open and having mutiple fallback options should it not work out with their prime candidate, or just to get various opinions on how to right the ship. But still not having a HC at this point makes it obvious to me that 1) nobody has really impressed MB/SK thus far or 2) that they have already decided internally on someone from the Pats or Eagles.

If Bettcher, Wilks or Armstrong would've blown MB/SK away with their personality and vision, we would already have our new HC. That's why I think it's either DeFilippo, Schwartz or Flores.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
I have serious doubts that they have waited three weeks to choose an in house guy. Just seems illogical and MB is the opposite of illogical.
Agree, hard to believe it wasn't a fall back option if he ends up being the guy.

Regarding Bettcher, I'm not convinced he'd be a DC by now if not for Arians, he's not a rising star. I never thought he was a particularly good DC, of course that could just be in contrast to Bowles who was fantastic. Just always felt like other teams made 2nd half adjustments and we were a step or 2 behinds in our adjustments. Ppl citing our defensive ranking aren't taking into account the talent we had on that side of the ball. I thought Horton was a better DC, and years later nobody misses him.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
It has to be either DeFilippo, Schwartz or Flores. If it was Wilks, Armstrong or Bettcher they would already been hired. Wouldn't be a ringing endorsement to your new HC to wait so long despite being available to hire for multiple weeks.

There's nothing wrong in keeping doors open and having mutiple fallback options should it not work out with their prime candidate, or just to get various opinions on how to right the ship. But still not having a HC at this point makes it obvious to me that 1) nobody has really impressed MB/SK thus far or 2) that they have already decided internally on someone from the Pats or Eagles.

If Bettcher, Wilks or Armstrong would've blown MB/SK away with their personality and vision, we would already have our new HC. That's why I think it's either DeFilippo, Schwartz or Flores.

I agree, Veer, although I think Steve Wilks is a superb candidate. Not sure what his staff plans are, but if impressive, he has as good a chance or better than any.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We know very little more after the 2 Championship games.

Can't but wonder whether there are unknown back stories that might influence the HC decision.

Til the, keep your eyes peeled for tidbits and read Mitch.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If any playoff games influencer Cardinals coaching decision then cards are doomed

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
We know very little more after the 2 Championship games.

Can't but wonder whether there are unknown back stories that might influence the HC decision.

Til the, keep your eyes peeled for tidbits.

Not everything has a back story.

Speculation is not a story, its a guess, and an opinion.

As for tidbits:

Latests "rumor" I read was a local sports writer from Carolina who thinks Wilks is going to be the head coach in Arizona once they talk to DeFlippio about becoming the OC in AZ.

And that is just association, no one knows anything until the news comes out.

I enjoy opinions based on connecting the dots as well. Heck, I do that exact type of thing when working looking at the draft and free agency.

If the Cardinals pull off a Wilks-DeFillipio combo, I would be quite happy with it. The last question would be who the defensive coordinator would be, and maybe that is where Flores comes in ? But those dots do not connect between Flores and Wilks, at least talking 3-4 and 4-3.

We will see.