Cardinals' HC Search Thoughts Part DCCCLXXXV

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
This fast-forwarded Part 885, is dedicated to BIM.:cheers:

Yesterday, BA spoke at length with Burns and Gambo. Did you hear the interview?

First of all, BA sounds great. He's been catching up on his sleep, which, as those of us who are retired or semi-retired know, is a panacea. BA said that he's been interviewing for TV jobs as a studio analyst or color commentator---that he would relish a shot at MNF and the chance to work with Sean McDonough, brother of the Cardinals VP of Player Personnel, Terry McDonough. While BA concedes that ESPN isn't likely to pick him right away to replace Jon Gruden, it is very likely that BA will wind up in the studio or in the booth with ESPN, Fox, NFLN or NBC.

As for his outlooks on the Cardinals' HC search, BA has been heavily promoting James Bettcher and Keith Armstrong. BA avows that Bettcher has the "complete trust of the organization," that "he has a great presence in the locker room," and that he's very "bright" and very "ready."

BA lauds Armstrong, his one-time assistant at Temple, for being able to command the respect of an entire football team, as ST coordinators are challenged to do, seeing as STCs have to work with the entire roster. BA alluded to Armstrong's passion as once evidenced on Hard Knocks and feels that Armstrong is ready to be a great head coach.

Here's a thought, however. Or maybe it's more of a question. Why did BA choose to recommend two candidates and not be adamant about one? It feels as if this is a concession that OK if you don't think Bettcher is ready to make the leap, then why not go with Armstrong and you can keep Bettcher as the DC.

Dan Bickley made an interesting comment yesterday in challenging BA's assertion that the players love Bettcher and that he commands their total respect. Bickley said that this was true of Todd Bowles---he could see it in the way the players gravitated to him and how they looked up to him. Bickley said he has never really seen that kind of reverence from the players toward Bettcher.

OK--so if Bettcher is not ready to be the HC, then BA wants Armstrong as HC and Bettcher to remain as DC...and he thinks Drew Stanton would be the "perfect mentor" for a rookie QB. Now, that likely means that BA thinks Stanton should be the bridge starter while the coaches are grooming the QBOF.

At the Arizona Sports radio station they conducted a poll yesterday asking the fans whether or not the new Cardinals HC should be tied in some way to BA. At the time when the interview with BA was aired, the poll results were that 88% said no and that 12% said yes. They wondered whether BA's interview would change some people's minds.

i can only speak for myself obviously, but it did not change my mind. BA said that one of his main reasons for wanting Bettcher or Armstrong is that he really wants to spend time at Cardinals' training camp and have a chance "to hang out with Michael and Steve." Rightfully so, BA remarked that with a new HC who doesn't know him, he wouldn't want him to have to "look over his shoulder."

BA very much wants MB&SK to see in Bettcher what he sees in Bettcher---and in that way, it would vindicate him for making such a surprising choice three years ago when BA decided that Bettcher, despite only 3 years of NFL coaching experience, would be the best candidate to succeed Todd Bowles.

As for Armstrong, what's so hard to figure out is if BA was so close to him and speaks so highly of him, why in the world didn't he find a way to add Armstrong to his staff? Well, clearly BA had a greater allegiance to Amos Jones (who was just hired by the Browns---amazing, isn't it?). It just feels so odd that after the repeated STs debacles and shortcomings we have witnessed over the past three years that BA has a pet candidate as his successor who happens to be a top-shelf ST's coach. The irony of this "hits with the force of a cartoon anvil" (to quote J.K. Rowling).

BA went on to reiterate that going into the 2016 season as one of the favorites to contend for the Lombardi Trophy that the whole season hinged on the opening night loss to the Patriots and that the team "lost its swag" after that game and while the team "fought back" it never could recover it---and that then "the injuries set in."

When asked whether he would have changed anything about his pre-season approach to the 2016 season in retrospect, BA said no, that he felt he had a veteran team and that he just wanted to make sure everyone was healthy going into the season.

As for the QB situation, BA started out by lamenting how he and Steve Keim narrowly missed out on taking Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson when the Chiefs and Texans traded right up in front of them. Then, BA raved about the 2018 QB draft class saying that "Baker's (Mayfield) enthusiasm is sincere and would be well received in an NFL locker room" and that Mason Rudolph excelled over BA's Hokies in the bowl game by "dropping deep TD passes on us." He went on to say that, while he has not studied any tapes of the QB prospects yet, that this year's crop "has 8 QBs who have the stature and arm strength" to be great pros. He said, "I've never seen anything like it."

Meanwhile, yesterday, the Cardinals' 2nd interview with Keith Armstrong started in the morning and carried into the afternoon, Then, Steve Wilks arrived for his 2nd interview which included a full FO gathering for dinner at Steak 44. Usually when pretty much the entire brass is attending the dinner (including Adrian Wilson), that's a signal that a deal is on its way. Thus, it would appear right now that Steve Wilks is the heavy favorite in the clubhouse while the Cardinals are waiting to meet next week with John DeFilippo and Brian Flores.

Some are hoping for a Steve Wilks hire with John DeFilippo as OC. The Titans, who have interest in Wilks, are also interested in meeting with DeFilippo. One has to wonder then, what Steve Wilks' plan B on offense is, if DeFilippo is hired elsewhere as a HC or an OC (where he potentially will garner a frenzied interest from a number of teams).

DeFilippo remains the only offensive coach and QB guru the Cardinals have on their short list.

BTW---yesterday it may have gone somewhat unnoticed but Steve Keim signed OLB Praise Martin-Oguike to a future's contract. He played on the opposite edge from Haason Reddick at Temple---22 career sacks and a record 10 forced fumbles. Just wanted you to know that PMO is this year's Cap Capi!:rockon:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
PFFFT...if they lost their swag after game freaking 1 of the 2016 season, they were never contenders. Pathetic.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good read Mitch. I would like the Cards to move on Wilks and hire him rather than to lose him. BA of course is recommending his guys, that is to be expected. I'm not a Betttcher fan. Look at his resume, he is not a leader of men. IMO he inherited a damn good defense from Bowles. I like BA but would like to see him just go retire in the sunset. The last 2 seasons have not been good and its on him and his non-accountable staff. A new coach and new staff is needed. Hope the Cards don't blow it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch, Mods etc.:

If I were an outsider seeking to get a better understanding of "what's going down in AZ", I can think of no better place than right here on ASFN.

Great read!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Good read Mitch. I would like the Cards to move on Wilks and hire him rather than to lose him. BA of course is recommending his guys, that is to be expected. I'm not a Betttcher fan. Look at his resume, he is not a leader of men. IMO he inherited a damn good defense from Bowles. I like BA but would like to see him just go retire in the sunset. The last 2 seasons have not been good and its on him and his non-accountable staff. A new coach and new staff is needed. Hope the Cards don't blow it.

While I am still enamored with Flip and Flo, Wilks fascinates me, especially thinking of how he can take our defense to the next level. If Wilks' plan for the offense and his choices for OC and QBC are attractive, then hiring Wilks might be a good choice.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they really liked willks he was already signed
They have other main targets

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
PMO is this year's Cap Capi!:rockon:
FWIW, Capi had one sack and a forced fumble this season. So his career numbers are no longer zero, zero, zero, etc.

And he had one more post season tackle than all the Cardinals combined. Okay that was low blow, sorry. :D

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This fast-forwarded Part 885, is dedicated to BIM.:cheers:

i can only speak for myself obviously, but it did not change my mind. BA said that one of his main reasons for wanting Bettcher or Armstrong is that he really wants to spend time at Cardinals' training camp and have a chance "to hang out with Michael and Steve." Rightfully so, BA remarked that with a new HC who doesn't know him, he wouldn't want him to have to "look over his shoulder."

This alone would tell me not to hire Bettcher. Why would either Bettcher or Armstrong want Arians looking over their shoulder all the time. It's almost like Arians has retired but doesn't really want to give up coaching so he inserts himself as a quasi coach hanging around putting his two cents in. This would be the worse situation possible for this team.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This alone would tell me not to hire Bettcher. Why would either Bettcher or Armstrong want Arians looking over their shoulder all the time. It's almost like Arians has retired but doesn't really want to give up coaching so he inserts himself as a quasi coach hanging around putting his two cents in. This would be the worse situation possible for this team.

Totally agree. BA needs to go a new life outside the Cardinal organization. Thanks Bruce, but don't let the door hit you on the way out.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree. While there are potential complications in having the Old Guard look over your shoulder, a panel of senior experts could turn out to be a net-plus.

In any case, taking either position on the issue is not enough to pass on Bettcher but enough of a potential problem - if establishd - to monitor closely.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Totally agree. BA needs to go a new life outside the Cardinal organization. Thanks Bruce, but don't let the door hit you on the way out.
yep... he needs to go coach Pop Warner teams and remember why we all start coaching in the first place. It would do him a lot of good.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As for Armstrong, what's so hard to figure out is if BA was so close to him and speaks so highly of him, why in the world didn't he find a way to add Armstrong to his staff?

Both in 2015 and 2016 the Falcons blocked Armstrong from interviewing with other teams that wanted him to be their special teams coordinator, and last year they supposedly told Kyle Shanahan that he could not bring any from the coaching staff with him to San Francisco.

Last edited:

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I heard Wilks would bring in one of the Panthers' defense position coach. Not sure which one it was.

The rumor is that he would target either the defensive line coach from the Panthers, Eric Washington, or the linebacker coach from the Panthers, Al Holcomb. Washington has held the job for seven seasons while Holcomb has five years of experience. Both units have been outstanding for years.

Now, if either would be a coordinator like Harold Goodwin was an offensive coordinator or he would get to actually control the unit, I do not know.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vrabel new titans head coach

So at this point we are the only team without a cowch

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's going to be Wills isn't it?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics