MJ Playing Matchmaker

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Under the BASK regime, Arizona Sports Radio's Mike Jurecki and all of the local newspaper writers and talk show hosts were locked out of the proverbial gate. This was particularly frustrating for Jurecki, as for years he was known as the "Cardinals' Insider."

Suddenly everyone including MJ were relegated to being "Cardinals' Outsiders."

As a result, the twitter world and radio shows were no longer a constant source of inside info and innuendo.

Recently, it appears that MJ has taken a highly pro-active approach.

First, he heavily promoted Steelers' OLC Mike Munchak as the next head coach, almost to the point of declaring Munchak's hiring as a fait accompli.

When fans like myself were showing great interest in Eagles' QBC John DeFilippo, MJ did just about everything he could to ignore DeFilippo as a candidate, even though it was public knowledge that the Cardinals met with DeFilippo in Philadelphia to discuss the HC opening.

When asked about DeFilippo, after first offering one of his patented "WHO?" rejoinders, MJ scoffed at the notion of JDF as a legitimate HC candidate and stated erroneously that DeFilippo had no experience as an OC and that the leap from QBC to HC was to precipitous to warrant serious consideration.

When informed by myself and a sports writer on Twitter that JDF actually did have a year of experience as an OC with the Browns in 2015, MJ didn't acknowledge that he has erred and countered by implying that being an OC for the Browns didn't count. And adding that JDF's offense in 2015 was 25th in total yards and 31st in scoring.

It wasn't until Mike Munchak withdrew his name from consideration that MJ started to look more closely at JDF, even at one point posting one of JDF's YouTube coaching videos on Twitter. Perhaps just in case, JDF was still heavily on the Cardinals' radar.

But, as it became clear that the Cardinals were honing in on Steve Wilks, MJ went back to tweeting comments like "DeFilppo was never a serious option."

Once Wilks was hired, next on MJ's agenda was to push for Mike McCoy for OC. MJ kept saying repeatedly that it would ideal for Wilks, a first time HC, to have a former HC on the staff whom he "could lean on" in tough times.

On the surface MJ's argument is sound---but seeing as Wilks was an assistant HC in Carolina for years under Ron Rivera and recognizing Wilks' take charge attitude following his hiring, Wilks doesn't seem like the kind of coach who needs a former HC to lean on.

When Wilks introduced McCoy as the new OC, there was little question as to who the alpha in the room was.

But, to give credit where credit is due, MJ was convinced all along that McCoy was the guy and sure enough he was.

Now that Alex Smith has been acquired by the Redskins, MJ's newest focus is on urging the Cardinals to sign 39 year old former Cardinal QB Josh McCown as the "mentor" to the QB the Cardinals are going to draft in April.

There has been no confirmation from the Cardinals that they are interested in McCown, but MJ reached out to McCown via twitter to ask if McCown was interested in ending his NFL career where it started 13 years ago. According to MJ, McCown is very interested in a return to Arizona. Bertrand Berry, MJ's co-host, agrees that McCown, who Berry thinks is still as athletic as ever, would be a great fit for the Cardinals.

Berry, who also was on the McCoy bandwagon was outspoken about not wanting Darrell Bevell as OC, calling Bevell "someone else's trash."

Then yesterday, MJ broke the news that the Cardinals are going to release RB Adrian Peterson. One has to wonder whether MJ, now that Steve Wilks is the HC, like in days of yore, has an informant inside the Cardinals' FO who tipped MJ off on this lead. Or---it's quite possible that MJ, who likes to call or tweet players and players' agents, got the info from Adrian Peterson or his agent.

In any event, MJ is doing his best to try to re-establish himself as the "Cardinals' Insider" to the point of playing matchmaker through conjuring up potential interest and promoting potential free agent signings.

One interesting tidbit is that in recent years Gambo seems to be getting the lead on Cardinals' info...and on a recent show when the speculation was that Mike MCoy wants to bring UFA QB Brock Osweiler with him, Gambo was effusive in his disdain for Osweiler and was so irate at the thought of an Osweiler signing that during an advertising break he made a phone call to ask if there was any truth to the rumor---and Gambo, upon his return to the air, said with 100% conviction that his source told him no way on Osweiler.

Now---one has wonder who Gambo's source is---but in reality, Steve Wilks and Mike McCoy haven't had much of a chance yet to sit down and discuss the QB free agent, trade and draft market, as Wilks' priority this week has been to finish hiring his staff and to start evaluation the current roster.

I must admit, as a Cardinals' fan thirsty for inside info, I have been drawn to MJ, Bickley, Somers, Urban and Gambo for years, and I appreciate being one of the first to know the latest news.

I just find it curious these days to see MJ in the role of matchmaker. MJ himself has admitted for years that he doesn't do much prep work for the draft---but this past week he said he watched the Senior Bowl with keen interest---and who knows---maybe this year MJ will be pushing his top prospects on the Cardinals' FO---the way he has been promoting his coaching and QB candidates in recent weeks.

Last edited:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The local media internal drama adds a layer of mild interest to those who live here in the Valley. MJ's prior access during the regimes of Ferguson and Graves really did make him the best local source for Cardinals info, but in the last 5 years or so, with KTAR consolidating all the local radio talent and garnering the broadcasting rights to most every local team, Jurecki found himself squarely on the outside looking in until getting picked up by 98.7 a few months ago. He'll redevelop his avenues of access and he and Gambo will be the newsbreakers locally, as it seems Gambo has really gone out of his way to become that guy in the last few years, even promoting himself heavily as such.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
so to sum up...

Jurecki is tossing out guesses just like everybody else....and Gambo has an imaginary inside source to help reassure him the redbirds are not going to sign a player he hates.

cool, nice write up Mitch!!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Living in Phoenix, I also follow the locals on Cards news. The guy who seems to have the best insight IMO is Cards beat writer Kent Somers. However, he doesn't put out the daily tweets or have has own radio show as the others mentioned. But when he does, he usually is right.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Living in Phoenix, I also follow the locals on Cards news. The guy who seems to have the best insight IMO is Cards beat writer Kent Somers. However, he doesn't put out the daily tweets or have has own radio show as the others mentioned. But when he does, he usually is right.
Somers
He prefers to give real news rather then rumors or lean on questionable sources

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This...Somers is the best of the bunch, he just doesn't have the 'me first' ego that others do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Are you sure it wasn't Jike Mureki on twitter? There was a guy posing as him and answering questions with a snarky attitude. They all had a good laugh about it.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, Somers is probably the best. As for the radio guys, most don't have direct access to Micheal or Steve, but they do have access to other front office personnel. When Munchack's name was coming up - from Jurecki i think - it was because there's a front office guy (forget his name) who had connections to Muchack from his Pitt days.

They all toss stuff to see if any will stick, but Somers seems to keep things closer to himself until they're closer to becoming fact.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Somers
He prefers to give real news rather then rumors or lean on questionable sources

Somers works for the Republic, which holds him to a higher standard than the 97.6 crew.

I enjoy listening to most of the folks mentioned on this thread, but take a lot of what they say with a grain of salt. MJ has drastically improved Bertrand's show, which was almost unlistenable prior to the new format.

Go Cards!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Somers works for the Republic, which holds him to a higher standard than the 97.6 crew.

this is it. Somers has professional standards he adheres to. He is about sourced news.

Sports talk radio (and the twitter extension of such) doesnt hold themselves to the same editorial standards -- they want to be right, but are far more willing to engage in speculation.

Jurecki clearly has sources inside the Cardinals building, as does Gambo, as does Wolfley. Being the flaghip radio station for the team gets you a degree of access.

But i also think they hear what the organization wants them to hear, rather than divulging info they dont -- it sure seems like Mike B runs a pretty tight ship information wise

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think they have alot invested in the whole "Cardinals Insider" thing for Jurecki, so they're making it count. I'm guessing he has more access since he joined the station than he did in the past. You'll notice he asked the first media question at the Wilkes press conference. And you know that order is carefully planned. #2 was Doug Franz. Very last question was Kent Somers. Probably because he always asks a tough question that's carefully designed to have no good answer and make the answerer squirm to come up with something. He definitely didn't disappoint, asking when the Cardinals knew Wilkes was their guy. There's really no good answer that without basically admiting right there in front of the world that Wilkes wasn't their first choice - or just blatantly lying. He had Keim squirming on that one. You could tell it caught him off guard.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Jurecki. He provides some good food for thought and is usually entertaining.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
I like almost all the local guys on 98.7. Jurecki seems like a good dude, I appreciate his info. Bickley is great too... love the daily blast.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
this is it. Somers has professional standards he adheres to. He is about sourced news.

Sports talk radio (and the twitter extension of such) doesnt hold themselves to the same editorial standards -- they want to be right, but are far more willing to engage in speculation.

Jurecki clearly has sources inside the Cardinals building, as does Gambo, as does Wolfley. Being the flaghip radio station for the team gets you a degree of access.

But i also think they hear what the organization wants them to hear, rather than divulging info they dont -- it sure seems like Mike B runs a pretty tight ship information wise
This.

Sometimes the radio guys, they just need talk about something.....anything.

They were saying how much the Cardinals first choice at QB was Alex Smith.

If it's the case, I'm happy it didn't pan out. Onward.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know if it is off topic, I believe 3/4 ths of 98.7 hosts are in bed with Sarver. They must be getting hush money not to call out Suns and Sarver for degrading a storied franchise to Browns level.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I don't know if it is off topic, I believe 3/4 ths of 98.7 hosts are in bed with Sarver. They must be getting hush money not to call out Suns and Sarver for degrading a storied franchise to Browns level.

more likely that since the station is the radio home of the Suns, they have to tread lightly

i guess you could consider that hush money

that being said: the afternoon guys ( Dave Burns is likely the biggest SUNS fans on the local radio) isnt shy with his criticism. Bickley has been pretty outspoken in his criticism of not being aggressvie in terms of Kyrie Irving --

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MJ is a “know it all” prick who constantly belittles fans for their opinions via twitter.

When Carson went down last season and Stanton was going to be the starter, he bashed everyone who said we should put Gabbert in to see what he had. Of course when Gabbert DID end up as the starter his tone was totally changed to ‘time to see what gabbert can do’

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
MJ is a “know it all” prick who constantly belittles fans for their opinions via twitter.

He's done it to me at least a half-dozen times. When he disagrees with a fan, he snips back, often via private message. He's very childish and sometimes he's even completely wrong. He accused me of saying something I didn't say, so I screen-shotted the exchange and put him straight. He then went silent, rather than acknowledging his mistake and offering an apology. I generally like the guy, and appreciate the Cards info that he does share, but he can be a real penis wrinkle at times.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Lol Radio Sports and cardinals coverage for numerous years VS radio call in guy.. Jurecki wins. But damn he needs to shave his head already.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn