Some Cards History: The Tobin years

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Once again I thinik Vince Tobin gets raked over the coals a little too harshly. I'm wondering how many of those who are dissing him so much were really following the team during his tenure, and even before, during the Buddy era.

Very similarly, I wonder about some of those who are dissing Greisen so much and using him as example of how inept Tobin was at drafting.

As Russ brought up, Fergy had a big influence on the Cards draft in those days.

Here's how I remember things (assisted with some memory enhancing references):

1996...... In two year's ('94-95) Buddy Ryan has messed up just about every aspect of the Cards that can be imagined. Bill Bidwill sends Buddy packing, the franchisee, to me, essentially hits its rock bottom. Buddy has not only screwed up the team itself, but in so doing, burns Bidwill's atempt at "finally" experimenting with relinquishing some power.

Bidwill then hires Vince Tobin as HC and Bob Ferguson as GM. Ferguson coming to the Cards after establishing a great reputation with 11 years in Buffalo and Denver where he helped build 6 superbowl teams in those 11 years.

Tobin was never known to be a big "motivator" per se. He was considered a sharp, no-nonsense coach. This is where I think a lot of people overlook the good things that he did do. First of all I think he brought a much needed stability to the organization. He was behind the 8-ball from the start. What a mess he inherited. Ryan had destroyed the offense, the defense....Buddy's "specialty", wasn't bad, but team chemistry was non-existant, in typical Buddy style the defense hated the offense who mirrored it right back, the team was in salary cap hell, and Ryan's drafting had not exactly set the world on fire, to say the least.
94 - (1) Jamir Miller-LB, (2) Chuck Levy-RB (3) Rich Braham-G (3) Eric England-DE/DT (4) Perry Carter-CB (4) John Reece- CB/FS (4)Terry Irving-LB (5) Anthony Redmon-T (6) Terry Samuels-TE (7) Frank Harvey-FB
95- (2) Frank Sanders-WR (3) Stoney Case-QB (5) Cedric Davis-DB (5) Lance Scott -C (5) Tito Paul- CB (6) Anthony Bridges-CB (7) Billy Williams-WR (7) Wesley Lesley-LB (7) Chad Eaton-DT

About the only available, decent avenue remaining was to cinch up the belt for the long haul, assemble what was reputed to be a good "teaching" staff, and build for the future, primarily through the draft. There just wasn't much of any other way to go at the time.

I think Tobin started out fine. He hired Jim Fassel as OC and Mac as DC. Tobin was reportedly given a lot of influence in the draft , but essentially Fergy was to be the man there, and take over the front office duties. Tobins staff additionally consists of: Geep Chryst-TE/quality control; Al Everest-ST; Joe Greene-DL, Larry Marmie-DB; Carl Mauck-OL, Glenn Pires-LB, Vic Rapp-WR and Jim Skipper-RB.

With very limited funds Tobin/Fergy are able to land free agents Boomer Esiason and Lomas Brown.
they then draft:
(1) Simeon Rice-DE (2) Leeland McElroy-RB (3) Johnny McWilliams-TE (4) Aaron Graham-C (5) James Dexter-T (5) Harry Stamps-T (5) Dell McGee-CB (6) Mike Foley-DT (7) Jarius Hayes-TE

Now granted, in retrospect this doesn't look too good on papar. But I think a closer look really shows that , at the time, the first 6 picks were really not "dumb" picks, especially at the time. McWilliams was highly rated at the time, Graham was undersized but did become a starter, and Dexter looked like a great pick at the time.

The one big negative here was allowing Garrison Hearst to leave and sign with the 49ers. This seemed to be the resut of (A) there being some question as to how well Hurst might be able to come back from his injury and (B) the salary cap hell Buddy had put the team in. This to me is more of a front office move than anything Tobin had much to do with. In essentially full rebuild mode, Larry Centers was still Mr. Cardinal at the time at FB and in his prime with Speedsters LeShon Johnson and Leeland McElroy to vie for the RB pos. Johnson was actually showing some nice promise at that point.

The team started 0-3 but then finished 7-6 from there out.

Going into 1997. Tobin, which I'm sure was at the recommendation of Fassel, named Kent Graham, whom Fassel (Fassel meanwhile being hired away by the Giants to become their head coach)had developed in N.Y. as the starter, creating a very unhappy Boomer who is let go. I thnk also partially due to the Cards drafting Jake Plummer.
The stated strategy of the team at that time, still cap strapped, is to sign lesser known veteran free agents, using them primarily as practice players to show some of the hopefully up and coming youngsters "how its done"...as Lee Shappel said then.

The '97 draft consists of; (1) Tom Knight -CB (2) Jake Plummer-QB (3) Ty Howard-CB (4) Chris Dishman-G (5) Chad Carpenter -WR (6) Rod Brown-FB (6) Tony McCombs-LB (7) Mark Smith-DE

I don't think this was a bad draft, by any means. Howard never did anything but I have to say....for the last 3 round picks those weren't bad for where they were taken...at all. I also think its very unrealistic to expect the team to have been able to predict the injury problems that would haunt Knight his entire "career".

Then Tobin makes what I consider to be his first major mistake. He hires Dick Jamieson as OC to replace Fassel. UGH.! Bad, Bad move. Jamieson was a conservative, not very imaginative, run oriented coach, a total mis-match to the talents of the offensive players on the team.

Not all that surprisingly the team goes 4-12. Grahm is injured and Jake plays the last 10 games of the season ....Tobin then heads into '98 with frustration at years of losing building in the fans. A lot of people are starting to say this year could make or break Tobin. Tobin is ordered by Bidwill to fire Jamieson, which he does, and in a move fairly poplular at the time, hires Marc Trestman to replace him. Trestman comes in with a reputation of being one of the new young west coast guru's. Many think this might be a good combo with Jake now the starter and Graham let go to the Giants, and back to his old mentor.

Free agency movement is fairly active...with a mixed bag of events. My takes on some of the "bigger' ones:
Signed - Mario Bates (good); Dave Brown (over all, OK, decent for the role he's expected to play 'clipboard carrier behind Jake); Lester Holmes....UGH...you sure Buddy didn't do this? Mike Maddox-LB (good); Eric Metcalf KR/WR...seemingly good at the time, but ends up nothing to write home about. and Adrian Murrell-RB...which proves to be a great move.
On the other side of the coin losses are: Brent Alexander-S (nothing earth shattering); Michael Bankston (would have liked to kept him; Jeff Feagles-P (seemingly bad at the time. but turned out OK); Kent Graham (no real loss); Eric Hill -LB....OUCH! this one hurt. Anthony Redmon (not good, Redmon seemed to be legitimately up and coming.; Kevin Williams ( I never did understand this one).

Fergy probably has his best year as a Card. He trades the #2 pickto San Diego for picks that become Andre Wadsworth and Corey Chavous, plus Eric Metcalf and linebacker Patrick Sapp, along with the Chargers 1999 1st round pick. On a roll, he then traded a 3rd round pick to the Jets for Adrian Murrell plus a 7th round pick, which became promising DE Jomo Cousins.

The draft = (1) Andre Wadsworth-DE (2) Corey Chavous (2) Anthony Clement-T (4) Michael Pittman-RB (5) Terry Hardy -TE (6) Zack Waltz-LB (7) Phil Savoy-WR (7) Jomo Cousins-DE (7) Pat Tillman-S (7) Ron James-RB

The rest is history, as they say, as the Cards go on to have their best year in recent history. Beating Dallas in the first round of the Playoffs (their first playoff win since 1947) before getting their butts kicked by Minnesota 41-21.

In 1999, Tobin continues with his philosophy of primarily trying to find good, young talented players, develop them, and keep them. But this is the year the wheels start to fall off. Just when they seem to be getting out of salary cap hell, Bidwill, in what I call a calculated move to change his image, and bolster the drive for a new stadium goes from one extreme to the other and overpays Jake resigning him to a figure more than probably even Jake and his agent can believe. This starts a cascade of negative events. Other veterans start grousing a little over what THEY are paid, but there isn't much left in the cupboard. Jamir Miller leaves for the Browns ih a huff. Fergy brain farts in his handling of Mark Smith.

In one of the few good free agency moves Rod Fredrickson is signed from the Lions. However FA losses are big. Joining Miller in the exodus are: Lomas Brown Anthony Edwards, Eric Metcalf, and 5 other "lesser" known players.

The Draft = (1 ) David Boston-WR (1) L J Shelton (2) Johnny Rutledge-LB (3) Tom Burke (DE) (4) Joel Mackovicka-FB (5) Paris Johnson-SS (5) Yusef Scott-G (6) Coby Rhinehart-CB (6) Melvin Bradley (DE/LB) (6) Dennis McKinley-FB (7) Chris Greisen-QB

Again, overall, I would say this was a decent draft. Rutledge was just potential that flopped. Burke was a high energy speed rusher in college, but just never was able to make the transition to the pro game. And to answer a query or two about the Tobin/Greisen connection...it was Southwest Missouri State, where Tobin was from. But I really don't think that had anything to do with drafting him. No one was looking for a potential relacement for Jake at that point. Greisen didn't have to have a great arm for the offense the Cards were then running. They were not a typically deep-throwing team at that point. Greisen didn't light anything up while he was here, but I think people are also over-blowing how "bad" he was too. Like Parsons, now, he really never got a real shot in real time situations to prove one way or the other what he might or might not be able to do.
I don't think the loss of either will ever rate high up on the priority list of make or break moves the Cards ever made. But the bashing of Greisen, that I can can see, or remember is not justified either.

If you look at the QB's drafted in '99. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1999/nfldraft/breakdowns/by_position/QB.html I think you should see drafting him was not such a terrible, terrible move.

Coupled with some injuries, primarily to Wadsworth , the once great DL vanished like a $100 tip in a seedy bar. Simeon's head became even bigger than the Cards armpit, and he forsook any defense except sack attempts. Smith pouted and underperformed, (injured also, I believe), And Swann was unhappy with swiss chess and scar knees.

Trestman, Jake and the Cards seemed to mix about like oil and water.

There were a lot of things to grouse about , about that point.

Not surpisingly the team finished 6-10

Going into 2000, Tobin uncharacteristically asked for a contract extension but was turned down by Bidwill.

Free agency-wise here is where I personally think the real corner was turned in this organization with the signing of free agent Mike Gruttadauria from the superbowl champion Rams. To me that was where we actually started to see the "new way of doing things" in the front office.

The draft that year = (1) Thomas Jones-RB (2) Raynoch Thompson-LB (3) Darwin Walker-DT (4) David Barrett-CB (5) Mao Tosi-DT (5) Jay Tant -TE (6) Jabari Issa-DT (7) Sekou Sanyika-LB

Once more, I think this was a decent draft. TJ's misdiagnosed lung problem got him started off on the wrong foot, I think, and he never did seem comfortable here. Walker's head was self-admittedly in the wrong place, and when that's the case, all the coaching in the world may be to no avail (see David Boston!). Tosi, Tant, Issa, and Sanyka were decent picks considering where they were taken.

By now the former impressive D-line was no more. The offense seemed to have potential ubt Trestman was having trouble making it work. Then came that 7th game in Dallas. What I call another low point in Card's history, when it looked like the team just gave up and packed it in. Tobin got the axe and Mac finished out the year as HC.

I don't dispute Bidwill firing Tobin when he did. Something had to be done. But in many ways I kind of think Tobin not only fell on the sword, but Bidwill kind of twisted it too. Tobin brought stability when it was sorely needed. He essentially did what he was asked to do. To build a team with youth through the draft with little freedom or money to spend. He made moves that seemed to put the teams concern especially on a long term basis, ahead of his own agenda....and he got his legs chopped out from under him for it, in the end. Yes, I think he'd lost a lot of control by that fateful Dallas game, some of it not of his own doing. Could he have done better.....yeah maybe....but to rank on him like so many seem so easily inclined to do, to me, doesn't show a whole lot of understanding of the true dynamics of this team through those years.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
Once again I thinik Vince Tobin gets raked over the coals a little too harshly. I'm wondering how many of those who are dissing him so much were really following the team during his tenure, and even before, during the Buddy era.

Very similarly, I wonder about some of those who are dissing Greisen so much and using him as example of how inept Tobin was drafting.

As Russ brought up, Fergy had a big influence on the Cards draft in those days.

Here's how I remember things (assisted with some memory enhancing references):

1996...... In two year's ('94-95) Buddy Ryan has messed up just about every aspect of the Cards that can be imagined. Bill Bidwill sends Buddy packing, the franchisee, to me, essentially hits its rock bottom. Buddy has not only screwed up the team itself, but in so doint, burns Bidwill's "finally" experimenting with relinquishing some power.

Bidwill then hires Vince Tobin as HC and Bob Ferguson as GM. Ferguson coming to the Cards after establishing a great reputation with 11 years in Buffalo and Denver where he helped build 6 superbowl teams in those 11 years.

Tobin was never known to be a big "motivator" per se. He was considered a sharp, no-nonsense coach. This is where I think a lot of people overlook the good things that he did do. First of all I think he brought a much needed stability to the organization. He was behind the 8-ball from the start. What a mess he inherited. Ryan had destroyed the offense, the defense....Buddy's "specialty", the defense, wasn't bad, but team chemistry was non-existant, in typical Buddy style the defense hated the offense who mirrored it right back, the team was in salary cap hell, and Ryan's drafting had not exactly set the world on fire, to say the least.
94 - (1) Jamir Miller-LB, (2) Chuck Levy-RB (3) Rich Braham-G (3) Eric England-DE/DT (4) Perry Carter-CB (4) John Reece- CB/FS (4)Terry Irving-LB (5) Anthony Redmon-T (6) Terry Samuels-TE (7) Frank Harvey-FB
95- (2) Frank Sanders-WR (3) Stoney Case-QB (5) Cedric Davis-DB (5) Lance Scott -C (5) Tito Paul- CB (6) Anthony Bridges-CB (7) Billy Williams-WR (7) Wesley Lesley-LB (7) Chad Eaton-DT

About the only available, decent avenue remaining was to cinch up the belt for the long haul, assemble what was reputed to be a good "teaching" staff, and build for the future, primarily through the draft. The just wasn't much of any other way to go at the time.

I think Tobin started out fine. He hired Jim Fassel as OC and Mac as DC. Tobin was reportedly given a lot of influence in the draft , but essentially Fergy was to be the man there, and take over the front office duties. Tobins staff additionally consists of: Geep Chryst-TE/quality control; Al Everest-ST; Joe Greene-DL, Larry Marmie-DB; Carl Mauck-OL, Glenn Pires-LB, Vic Rapp-WR and Jim Skipper-RB.

With very limited funds Tobin/Fergy are able to land free agents Boomer Esiason and Lomas Brown.
they then draft:
(1) Simeon Rice-DE (2) Leeland McElroy-RB (3) Johnny McWilliams-TE (4) Aaron Graham-C (5) James Dexter-T (5) Harry Stamps-T (5) Dell McGee-CB (6) Mike Foley-DT (7) Jarius Hayes-TE

Now granted, in retrospect this doesn't look too good on papar. But I think a closer look really shows that , at the time, the first 6 picks were really not "dumb" picks, especially at the time. McWilliams was highly rated at the time, Graham was undersized but did become a starter, and Dexter looked like a great pick at the time.

The one big negative here was allowing Garrison Hearst to leave and sign with the 49ers. This seemed to be the resut of (A) there being some question as to how well Hurst might be able to come back from his injury and the salary cap hell Buddy had put the team in. In essentially full rebuild mode, Larry Centers was still Mr. Cardinal at the time at FB and in his prime with Speedsters LeShon Johnson and McElroy to vie for the RB pos. Johnson was actually showing some nice promise at that point.

The team started 0-3 but then finished 7-6 from there out.

Going into 1997. Tobin, which I'm sure was at the recommendation of Fassel, named Kent Graham, whom Fassel (Fassel meanwhile being hired away by the Giants to become their head coach)had developed in N.Y. as the starter, creating a very unhappy Boomer who is let go. I thnk also partially due to the Cards drafting Jake Plummer.
The stated strategy of the team at that time, still cap strapped, is to sign lesser known veteran free agents, using them primarily as practice players to show some the hopefully up and coming youngsters "how its done"...as Lee Shappel said then.

The '97 draft consists of; (1) Tom Knight -CB (2) Jake Plummer-QB (3) Ty Howard-CB (4) Chris Dishman-G (5) Chad Carpenter -WR (6) Rod Brown-FB (6) Tony McCombs-LB (7) Mark Smith-DE

I don't think this was a bad draft, by any means. Howard never did anything and I have to say....for the last 3 round picks those weren't bad for where they were taken...at all. I also think its very unrealistic to expect the team to have been able to predict the injury problems that would haunt Knight his entire "career".

Then Tobin makes what I consider to be his first major mistake. He hires Dick Jamieson as OC to replace Fassel. UGH.! Bad, Bad move. Jamieson was a conservative, not very imaginative, run oriented coach, a total mis-match to the talents of the offensive players on the team.

Not all that surprisingly the team goes 4-12. Gram is injured and Jake plays the last 10 games of the season ....Tobin then heads into '98 with frustration at years of losing building in the fans. A lot of people are starting to say this year could make or break Tobin. Tobin is ordered by Bidwill to fire Jamieson, which he does, and in a move fairly poplular at the time, hires Marc Trestman to replace him. Trestman comes in with a reputation of being one of the new young west coast guru's. Many think this might be a good a good combo with Jake now the starter and Graham let go to the Giants, and back to his old mentor.

Free agency movement is fairly active...with a mixed bag of events. My takes on some of the "bigger' ones:
Signed - Mario Bates (good); Dave Brown (over all, OK, decent for the role he's expected to play 'clipboard carrier behind Jake); Lester Holmes....UGH...you sure Buddy didn't do this? Mike Maddox-LB (good); Eric Metcalf KR/WR...seemingly good at the time, but ends up nothing to write home about. and Adrian Murrell-RB...which proves to be a great move.
On the other side of the coin losses are: Brent Alexander-S (nothing earth shattering); Michael Bankston (would have liked to kept him; Jeff Feagles-P (seemingly bad at the time. but turned out OK); Kent Graham (no real loss); Eric Hill -LB....OUCH! this one hurt. Anthony Redmon (not good, Redmon seemed to be legitimately up and coming.; Kevin Williams ( I never did understand this one).

Fergy probably has his best year as a Card. He trades the #2 pickto San Diego for picks that become Andre Wadsworth and Corey Chavous, plus Eric Metcalf and linebacker Patrick Sapp, along with the Chargers 1999 1st round pick. On a roll, he then traded a 3rd round pick to the Jets for Adrian Murrell plus a 7th round pick, which became promising DE Jomo Cousins.

The draft = (1) Andre Wadsworth-DE (2) Corey Chavous (2) Anthony Clement-T (4) Michael Pittman-RB (5) Terry Hardy -TE (6) Zack Waltz-LB (7) Phil Savoy-WR (7) Jomo Cousins-DE (7) Pat Tillman-S (7) Ron James-RB

The rest is history, as they say, as the Cards go on to have their best year in recent history. Beating Dallas in the first round of the Playoffs (thier first playoff win since 1947) before geting their butts kicked by Minnesota 41-21.

In 1999, Tobin continues with his philosophy of primarily trying to find good, young talented players, develop them, and keep them. But this is the year the wheels start to fall off. Just when they seem to be getting out of salary cap hell, Bidwill, in what I call a calculated move to change his image, and bolster the drive for a new stadium go from one extreme to the other and overpay Jake resigning him to more than probably even Jake and his agent can't believe. This starts a cascade of negative events. Other veterans start grousing a little over what THEY are paid, but there isn't much left in the cupboard. Jamir Miller leaves for the Browns ih a huff. Fergy brain farts in his handling of Mark Smith.

In one of the few good free agency moves Rod Fredrickson is signed from the Lions. However FA losses are big. Joining Miller in the exodus are: Lomas Brown Anthony Edwards, Eric Metcalf, and 5 other "lesser" known players.

The Draft = (1 ) David Boston-WR (1) L J Shelton (2) Johnny Rutledge-LB (3) Tom Burke (DE) (4) Joel Mackovicka-FB (5) Paris Johnson-SS (5) Yusef Scott-G (6) Coby Rhinehart-CB (6) Melvin Bradley (DE/LB) (6) Dennis McKinley-FB (7) Chris Greisen-QB

Again, overall, I would say this was a decent draft. Rutledge was just potential that flopped. Burke was a high energy speed rusher in college, but just never was able to make the transition to the pro game. And to answer a query or two about the Tobin/Greisen connection...it was Southwest Missouri State, where Tobin was from. But I really don't think that had anything to do with drafting him. No one was looking for a potential relacement for Jake at that point. He didn't have to have a great arm for the offense the Cards were then running. They were not a typically deep-throwing team at that point. Greisen didn't lignt anything up while he was here, but I think people are also over-blowing how "bad" he was too. Like Parsons, now, he really never got a real shot in real time situations to prove one way or the other what he might or might not be able to do. I don't think the loss of either will ever rate high up on the priority list of make or break moves the Cards ever made. But the bashing of Greisen, that I can can see, or remember is not justified either.

If you look at the QB's drafted in '99. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1999/nfldraft/breakdowns/by_position/QB.html I think you should see drafting him was not such a terrible, terrible move.

Coupled with some injuries, primarily to Wadsworth , the once great DL vanished like a $100 tip in a seedy bar. Simeon's head became even bigger than the Cards armpit, and forsook any defense except sack attempts. Smith pouted and underperformed, (injured also, I believe), And Swann was unhappy with swiss chess and scar knees.

Trestman, Jake and the Cards seemed to mix about like oil and water.

There were a lot of things to grouse about , about that point.

Not surpisingly the team finished 6-10

Going into 2000, Tobin uncharacteristically asked for a contract extension but was turned down by Bidwill.

Free agency-wise here is where I personally thing the real corner was turned in this organization with the signing of free agent Mike Gruttadauria from the superbowl champion Rams. To me that was where we actually started to see the "new way of doings" things in the front office.

The draft that year = (1) Thomas Jones-RB (2) Raynoch Thompson-LB (3) Darwin Walker-DT (4) David Barrett-CB (5) Mao Tosi-DT (5) Jay Tant -TE (6) Jabari Issa-DT (7) Sekou Sanyika-LB

Once more, I think this was a decent draft. TJ's misdiagnosed lung problem got him started off on the wrong foot, I think, and he never did seem comfortable here. Walker's head was self-admittedly in the wrong place, and when that's the case, al the coaching in the world may be to avail (see David Boston!). Tosi, Tant, Issa, and Sanyka were decent picks considering where they were taken.

By now the former impressive D-line was no more. The offense seemed to have potential Trestman was having trouble making it work. Then came that 7th game in Dallas. What I call another low point in Card's history, when it looked like the team just gave up and packed it in. Tobin got the axe and Mac finished out the year as HC.

I don't dispute Bidwill firing Tobin when he did. Something had to be done. But in many ways I kind of think Tobin not only fell on the sword, but Bidwill kind of twisted it too. Tobin brought stability when it was sorely needed. He essentially did what he was asked to do. To build a team with youth through the draft with little freedom or money to spend. He made moves that seemed to put the teams concern especially on a long term basis, ahead of his own agenda....and he got his legs chopped out for it in the end. Yes, I think he'd lost a lot of control by that fateful Dallas game, some of it not of his own doing. Could he have done better.....yeah maybe....but to rank on him like so many seem so easily inclined to do, to me, doesn't show a whole lot of understanding of the true dynamics of this team through those years.

couldn't agree more - those were THE most competeive Cards years ever - even that 4-12 season - does anyone remember the string of heartbreakers we lost at the beginning of the season - against GOOD teams also - Blowing 21-3 lead in opener - losing to the Bucs 20-19 on a missed field goal - losing to Vikes even though we were up 9 with 3 minutes left - losing in OT to the Eagles after Plummer's 97 yard drive - losing to the Redskins in OT in Washington - losing to the Steelers in OT (later in season) - And the year before we were 6-6 and controlling our own destiny as far as the playoffs after that unbelievable 36-30 win over the eagles when Marcus Dowdell caught a 20 yard TD from Boomer with like 10 seconds left - and then even after the 98 playoff year - once again we were 6-6 and in control of our own destiny with that huge game against the Skins where we got rolled and then got rolled for the rest of the season - -but his teams were without a doubt - THE MOST TALENTED and Competive over a four year stretch ARIZONA has ever seen.

He did have to be sacked when did though - but he takes WAY too much crap here.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Totally agree. Until someone else takes us to the playoffs, he's the best coach we've had in Arizona. I know a lot of people despised Tobin, Skkorp in particular, but he has the only playoff win for this franchise in 57 years!!!! That counts for something in my book. It's not like we had a surefire Super Bowl team that fell short.

Part of what made 98 so sweet was that 97 was probably the most agonizing season of all with all of those heartbreakers.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Part of what made 98 so sweet was that 97 was probably the most agonizing season of all with all of those heartbreakers.
very insightful.

the emotions of those 2 years were perhaps the most high and low that i can remember.

(the lows being that we were poised to win a game then let it out of our grasp - it is a different kind of low than getting pasted by Seattle like we did at home last year.)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Totally agree. Until someone else takes us to the playoffs, he's the best coach we've had in Arizona. I know a lot of people despised Tobin, Skkorp in particular, but he has the only playoff win for this franchise in 57 years!!!! That counts for something in my book. It's not like we had a surefire Super Bowl team that fell short.

Yep, the board I was mostly on at that time had AJ too and I recall a group of us who were really saying that it was bizarre that Mac got the job when it was HIS defense that quit on Tobin. AS a head coach you just get the blame for that stuff but there was a real inconsistency there.

Either Tobin was really coaching the defense and Mac was just along for the ride, in which case why promote him, or Mac was really coaching the defense and it quit on HIM, so why promote him? Mac started out OK but it became apparent that he wasn't adept at building the team or making adjustments or preparing the team.

Tobin was seen as too "vanilla" but frankly I didn't care as long as the team was prepared to play. I've said it a million times, the '98 playoffs were predictable, hell I picked us to win the division that year because the 97 team was quite good it just had a rookie QB starting 9 games and had a team that was a bit young and lost some close games. It seemed obvious that jake would get better, the young defense would be better, and we'd win 10-11 games. 9-7 disappointed me although the thrill of the playoffs and beating Dallas more than made up for that.

The real fault came as Tango said when we over committed financially to Jake and let too many other key players walk, at the same time that injuries were decimating the DL and we were using high picks to build an offense around Jake and ignoring the demise of the DL. Any question why our DL has been so bad for so long when you look at the draft picks since Wads, we just ignored the DL until Bryant and then Pace were taken high.

I've always felt Tobin did a solid job, I never understood how Bidwill expected Vince to get the team to "buy in" when he wouldn't give him a new contract, it just created a lame duck situation that almost guaranteed Tobin's failure.

I'm thrilled we got DG but I totally agree with Cheese's take on Tango's post, the best coached teams we've had in ARizona were Tobin's teams. If knee injuries don't destroy Wads, Swann and Smith I think the last 5-6 years are COMPLETELY different.

The ONE mistake where I really do blame Tobin was not "stepping up" and telling the front office that yes Jake is the future and yes we are paying him a ton of money, but when he's not playing well I have to be able to replace him and that means I need a real backup QB. The '99 season to me was unfathomable, Tobin is too smart a man to have not seen early that Jake's thumb was hurt and impacting his performance, I just can't believe that Tobin was so dumb as to keep trotting him out week after week by choice, I have to believe that he was doing the company line approach because we were paying Jake too much money to sit on the bench for Dave Brown. But I really believe that year could have been saved even by playing Brown just a few weeks earlier and resting Jake before the bad games snowballed into a nightmare season. ANd had we been smart enough to sign an O'Donnell or George that offseason(both of whom made LESS than Brown and helped take their team to the playoffs) we would have had a backup good enough to play without controversy. But people were so scared about Brown's competency Cards fans were actually defending the decision to keep starting Jake when he was so clearly impaired by his thumb.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Very good post :thumbup: Tobin did do a nice job, Griesen did look good in preseason as well, he's not as bad as people make him out to be. When you look at guys like Knight, Jones and Wadsworth, it was just very bad luck. Thomas Jones could have been Jamal Lewis, Wadsworth could have been C Woodson or panned out into a great DE. If that would have happened this team would have really turned the corner. Tobin wasn't nearly as horrible as Coach Mac. Tobin was as likeable as Mac, but he did build a playoff team out of Ryans rubble and salary cap hell. :thumbup:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Tango...

Really good post; well researched and written.

It also gets the "longest post I have read all month" award! :D

Shuesters2

Wind Breaker
Reaction score
Tango,

Good work! However, I think you were inconsistent when you compared drafts between Tobin and Ryan. Remember Ryan traded for Rob Moore instead of packaging draft picks to get JJ Stokes. (Man, that was one of the greatest trades we never made!)

The rest of your point were well taken. Tobin overcame a mountain negative momentum and got the Cards into the playoffs to beat the cowblows. That alone should warm every true Card fans heart forerver. His biggest failing was not getting more playoff years out of that good young team.

Shuesters :thumbup:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

dude, did you have to quote the entire thing tango wrote?

btw, though i think tango sugarcoats a lot of it, i don't fully disagree with him. tobin needed to be gone, but he did give us some pretty good seasons (for the cards, that is).

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Nice work Tango! This board wouldn't be what it is without you.

I guess Tobin could be credited with doing the 2nd best coaching job for the cardinals in the modern era.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
There will be a clear dividing line when we look back at the history of this franchise.

When the stadium passed Michael B stepped in and changed the model.

Bill Bidwill was / is a goofy owner who had no money. Michael worked on getting the stadium passed and I suspect will truly build a franchise to be proud of in the comming years.

Tobin coached in a world where only he won a playoff game in the modern era and that by definiton means he was under rated to everyone else but people who truly follow this franchise.

That year was luck though, fun, exciting, sweet but mostly it was luck.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Good article Tango. I've made the same point that Tobin isn't given the credit he deserves. I will agree with those that say luck played a big part of the 98 season; but, I firmly believe that you make your own luck based on preperation.

A couple of minor corrections:

1. Hearst didn't leave here for San Fran, he went to the Bengals first, where he didn't exactly light up the league. He didn't show enough there either to warrent a big move to keep him from hiting the road for San Fran. It took him three years to get back to 100% after his knee injury.... not many players are going to get that much patience from any one team.

2. Boomer wasn't upset about Kent Graham being named the starter in 1997....as I recall, his discontent went back to the prior season where he felt he was unfairly benched so that Bill Bidwill wouldn't have to pay a performance bonus that Boomer was rapidly nearing.

In their first meeting of the season, Boomer racked up a 500+ yard passing game against Washington. For the second meeting, (game 15) Boomer was benched in favor of Kent Graham, ostensibly so we could evaluate if Kent was to be our QB of the future. ***We won the game and eliminated the Skins from the playoffs :thumbup:

Other than that, I think everything else was pretty much right on. Hard to believe that there are many new fans who didn't follow the team back then.... it's not like there has been a lot to draw new folks in. Glad to see the support growing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard