So, how do you build a team?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As a red-hot Suns fan since 1970 -- that's 41 years -- and rooting for a team that has been known, first as a finesse team, then small-ball . . . which is the reason we don't get our share of the ref's calls . . .

I am ecstatic that, in our triple-overtime game vs. the Lakers tonight, our two power positions had the following stats (our highest scorers and rebounders in the game).

Fry.......32 points and 13 rebounds
Gortat...24 points and 16 rebounds

Along with

Nash.....19 points and 20 assists
and Hill's 10 rebounds and defense

I've been waiting a long time for our power to move from the backcourt to the front court. I hope our Front Office has the skill to build around Gortat and Frye as our foundation.

Against any other team except maybe the big 4, we'd probably have won this game. And pretty easily, I might add.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I think you have to be careful not to be enamored by volume scorers like Iverson was or Melo is. They look like superstars, but their teams suffer. Also, at least 3/5ths of your starting lineup needs to be at least average defenders.

Actually, I am pretty pleased at this point with Gortat and Frye. A really athletic sf in the Shawn Marion mode would be great.

I agree with the earlier poster, that Jason Richardson had developed a chemistry with Nash. To bad Nash is probably not going to be back.

We may already have him on the roster but he's riding the pine. I really wish Childress was getting the corpse of Vince Carter's mins but for some reason he isn't. Ah well

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
We may already have him on the roster but he's riding the pine. I really wish Childress was getting the corpse of Vince Carter's mins but for some reason he isn't. Ah well
The way Carter is disappointing us, not only Childress, but Dudley and Pietrus as well, would be a step up at this time.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
The way Carter is disappointing us, not only Childress, but Dudley and Pietrus as well, would be a step up at this time.

Dudley - yes. Pietrus - no. I don't know what the heck happened to the Pietrus that was helpful to us but he's gone buhbye lately. His defense has been spotty at best lately and offensively he's at the point where he's playing a game of HORSE against himself. Turnaround fallaway 30 ft 3 pointers? REALLY?! Dude's become a blackhole.

Go figure with all the wings that we do have the one piece that this team really, really need to become competitive again is a starting SG.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dudley - yes. Pietrus - no. I don't know what the heck happened to the Pietrus that was helpful to us but he's gone buhbye lately. His defense has been spotty at best lately and offensively he's at the point where he's playing a game of HORSE against himself. Turnaround fallaway 30 ft 3 pointers? REALLY?! Dude's become a blackhole.

Go figure with all the wings that we do have the one piece that this team really, really need to become competitive again is a starting SG.
I hope we sign Marcus Thornton. The kid has shown he can light up whenever he gets the minutes. Would be perfect for our system.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lets assume a couple of things:

1. Nash is going to want a trade this summer. I would want to get a decent young player and a pick for him. For a team that is on the verge of contention, that would be worth it. The Knicks, Orlando, Dallas, and Atlanta are all candidates. Interestingly enought, I would love to get Billups. He is not young, but he has a few years left. But the Knicks don't have much in the way of picks left, I think.

2. We are going to have a late lottery pick, unless the lottery gods finally smile on us in a big way.

3. We are going to have cash available from a Vince Carter buyuout. This is a summer where we should be able to use the full mid-level exception without worry.

4. Lopez is trade fodder for the summer and will bring something in return.

So, what can we turn that into?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score

1. Nash is going to want a trade this summer. I would want to get a decent young player and a pick for him. For a team that is on the verge of contention, that would be worth it. The Knicks, Orlando, Dallas, and Atlanta are all candidates. Interestingly enought, I would love to get Billups. He is not young, but he has a few years left. But the Knicks don't have much in the way of picks left, I think.

2. We are going to have a late lottery pick, unless the lottery gods finally smile on us in a big way.

3. We are going to have cash available from a Vince Carter buyuout. This is a summer where we should be able to use the full mid-level exception without worry.

Unfortunately, not a contender.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Well, we don't know what's going to happen with the new CBA. There might now even be a season next year.

If salary cap goes down by a significant margin, Carter's contract could be very valuable. If cap goes down, and the Suns just buy him out, I am not sure they'd have enough cap room available to really sign anyone significant.

I believe they used their mid-level exception to sign Warrick last year, and teams can only use it every other year, so they may not have that available this year.

As far as Nash is concerned, I am not convinced they'll be able to get much for him. I can see a lot of teams being interested in Nash, but I am not sure how much they would be willing to give up to get him.

I really think that VC's contract is the only real asset they have. Hopefully someone will be desperately trying to shed $14M from their payroll.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, we don't know what's going to happen with the new CBA. There might now even be a season next year.

If salary cap goes down by a significant margin, Carter's contract could be very valuable. If cap goes down, and the Suns just buy him out, I am not sure they'd have enough cap room available to really sign anyone significant.

I believe they used their mid-level exception to sign Warrick last year, and teams can only use it every other year, so they may not have that available this year.

As far as Nash is concerned, I am not convinced they'll be able to get much for him. I can see a lot of teams being interested in Nash, but I am not sure how much they would be willing to give up to get him.

I really think that VC's contract is the only real asset they have. Hopefully someone will be desperately trying to shed $14M from their payroll.

They can use the mid-level once a year, the biennial exception can only be used once every two years. Grant Hill probably has some value too.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
They can use the mid-level once a year, the biennial exception can only be used once every two years. Grant Hill probably has some value too.

Oh, that's right. MLE can be used every year as long as you are over the cap at the beginning of the off-season. Don't know what I was thinking.

Assuming they get some value for VC's contract and are willing to use MLE, they could very well retool for next year.

Grant's contract is up this year, so he's gonna be a free agent, if I remember correctly.

What are everyone's thoughts on the value of VC's contact? Am I overestimating that?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh, that's right. MLE can be used every year as long as you are over the cap at the beginning of the off-season. Don't know what I was thinking.

Assuming they get some value for VC's contract and are willing to use MLE, they could very well retool for next year.

Grant's contract is up this year, so he's gonna be a free agent, if I remember correctly.

What are everyone's thoughts on the value of VC's contact? Am I overestimating that?

VC's contract has value to teams targeting free agents or for teams trying to get under the luxury tax. Since we don't know how the LT is going to work after the new CBA, that is unclear. Presently the Lakers, Magic, Mavericks, Celtics, Jazz, Hawks, Blazers, Grizzlies, Buck, Spurs, Raptors, Sixers, and Hornets are all over the present LT or right at it.

This year's FA market is not that good, so I don't see teams desperate to unload talent for cap space (like Miami with Beasley last summer).

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A defining moment for the Suns

Our back-to-back vs. Toronto could be a defining moment for the Suns.

It looked like Aaron Brooks is accepting that he's not Steve Nash and should not try to emulate him.

A night after the triple-overtime loss to the Lakers, Brooks -- allowing Nash to rest -- had 25 points and 8 assists in 33 minutes. Some alongside Nash, but most at the Point.

When his ankle heals completely and, if he can continue to be his own man, he could indeed be our starting Point Guard next season if Nash moves on.

And it looks like Dowdell could be a formidable backup. I would still add a second backup (or a first backup, leaving Dowdell as the second) so we always have a 3rd PG to step in when needed.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to do "what about next season" piece once I'm absolutely sure this season is over.

I will start with agreeing that VC has been a big aisappointment IMHO, none of the backups are strong enough offensively to be the guy. I'm hoping free agency will help.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wanna see Brooks consistently play well before I give him the nod. He does seem to have talent so that's good.

And the complaint about him being a ball hog is completely irrelevant in PHX because if anything he has been too unselfish at times.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard