Should the Suns match a max contract offer for Bledsoe?

Should the Suns match a max contract offer for Bledsoe?

• Total voters

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is true, a jackass doesnt change its stripes, #sarver

That's a leap. Maybe you're right but this could be for several reasons and Sarver may not be prompting this move in any way.

Steve

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's a leap. Maybe you're right but this could be for several reasons and Sarver may not be prompting this move in any way.

Steve

to me this struck of joe johnson all over again, suns saying they're going to match no matter what all season... but really you knew that sarver would not pay above a certain amount.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's about the money at all. The max for Bledsoe is not onerous. If Bledsoe wants out let him go, but I want assets in return. This may be why the Suns have looked at PGs during workouts.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
If we are really honest with ourselves the Suns do not have a legit shot at competing for a title in the next 3 years, so they should be doing everything possible to acquire assets and young talent to develop over that time. I think they can be competitive even make the playoffs if they are lucky but they are not going to be a title contender the west is just way too deep and strong to think it is realistic. But building talent and assets should allow them to be a contender for a long time coming if they are a little patient.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
If we are really honest with ourselves the Suns do not have a legit shot at competing for a title in the next 3 years, so they should be doing everything possible to acquire assets and young talent to develop over that time. I think they can be competitive even make the playoffs if they are lucky but they are not going to be a title contender the west is just way too deep and strong to think it is realistic. But building talent and assets should allow them to be a contender for a long time coming if they are a little patient.

I disagree w/ this a lot ... You say the West is just too deep and strong, but the Suns are a part of that! The Mavs took the Spurs to 7 games in the 1st Round ... The Grizzlies took OKC to 7 games ... These are teams the Suns were competing w/ for the last 2 playoff spots !

Given the above, I don't see how the Suns aren't close to competing. Just because there's so many contenders in the West, doesn't mean you just give up ... The Mavs aren't, the Grizzlies aren't, the Warriors aren't - Every team realizes getting out of the 1st Round isn't a given in the West, but some team's got to come out of it. The Suns could easily be one of those teams this season, given they're young and have cap room (Therefore on the rise)

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
I disagree w/ this a lot ... You say the West is just too deep and strong, but the Suns are a part of that! The Mavs took the Spurs to 7 games in the 1st Round ... The Grizzlies took OKC to 7 games ... These are teams the Suns were competing w/ for the last 2 playoff spots !

Given the above, I don't see how the Suns aren't close to competing. Just because there's so many contenders in the West, doesn't mean you just give up ... The Mavs aren't, the Grizzlies aren't, the Warriors aren't - Every team realizes getting out of the 1st Round isn't a given in the West, but some team's got to come out of it. The Suns could easily be one of those teams this season, given they're young and have cap room (Therefore on the rise)

We are going to have to agree to disagree I think they are 2-3 years away from being a contender however once there I think they can stay there for awhile. But we didnt make the playoffs last year and if I line up all of the teams in the West going into this year, I still have us missing the playoffs again next year. But obviously we will differ on this. And close to competing for a playoff spot yes, competing for a championship no. Oh and the Mavs and Grizz are both veteran teams that have been to the playoffs know what it takes to win, young teams that just make the playoffs struggle to win playoff games against veteran teams history has proven that.

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait... how is it possible to "look to trade" a restricted free agent? What am I missing? Isn't it the player who chooses what offer sheet he signs? I can see working out a deal with a team he picks to sign with, but the Suns don't have the option to look for a team for him. This doesn't seem at all accurate to me.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am sorry but that would be stupid. Goran is a fa next summer. Go two summers and have nothing? Yikes.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Wait... how is it possible to "look to trade" a restricted free agent? What am I missing? Isn't it the player who chooses what offer sheet he signs? I can see working out a deal with a team he picks to sign with, but the Suns don't have the option to look for a team for him. This doesn't seem at all accurate to me.

Its an either/or scenario. 7 days prior to FA players can decide who they want to sign with. For RFA like Bledsoe when they decide to sign with a new team, they can either sign the tender deal and see if the current team matches it or ask to be traded in a sign-and-trade deal (since their prior team can give them more money via Bird Rights)

Once they sign the tender offer then the option to sign and trade is off the table

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Its an either/or scenario. 7 days prior to FA players can decide who they want to sign with. For RFA like Bledsoe when they decide to sign with a new team, they can either sign the tender deal and see if the current team matches it or ask to be traded in a sign-and-trade deal (since their prior team can give them more money via Bird Rights)

Once they sign the tender offer then the option to sign and trade is off the table

This is wrong.

Players can't get more money in a sign and trade anymore.

There is no reason to do a sign and trade anymore unless
a) the signing team wants it - eg dumping bad contracts
b) the interested team does not have capspace and all parties agree to the sign and trade

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

huh isn't that what I said (besides the part about prior team and more money as that is no longer true)?

Bledsoe can either A) Agree to a deal with the Suns or B) Accept a deal from another team and wait to see if the Suns match. What can't happen as far as I understand is the Suns can't shop for a team to do a sign and trade for Bledsoe.
Why on earth would Bledsoe have to accept that? He has the right to pick the deal he wants and the Suns can match or agree to A) let me go or B) agree to a sign and trade to get something back. In option B it will likely only happen if the team that signs him does not have room and the Suns agree to take back something so that he can move to said team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we should package Bledsoe, Tucker, Frye, Okafor and Barbosa for Carmelo and Lebron in a three way trade on draft night. We might have to include our first round picks for the next 6 years but a lineup of Dragic, Melo, Lebron, Plumlee and Len sounds like a championship to me.

Steve

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we should package Bledsoe, Tucker, Frye, Okafor and Barbosa for Carmelo and Lebron in a three way trade on draft night. We might have to include our first round picks for the next 6 years but a lineup of Dragic, Melo, Lebron, Plumlee and Len sounds like a championship to me.

Steve

:)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for quickly acknowledging it was a joke. I had meant to quote your post and messed up. Without the article you linked, I was surely on a collision course with someone that would have to set me straight. Knowing how often people skip earlier posts, I may still be on that collision course.

Steve

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
If this is true, a jackass doesnt change its stripes, #sarver

1. Maybe the Suns don't want 2 max or near max PG's. Dragic is a FA next year and he's going to command a lot more than what he's making.

2. Maybe they are concerned about his 2 knee surgeries and nagging injuries.

3. Maybe they simply don't think he's worth the max.

Signing Bledsoe almost guarantees that Dragic will be gone. Dragic is a little older but I'd rather keep him and balance out the roster instead of having 2 max / near max PG's.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
To add to the above, yes, I know you can keep Bledsoe over Dragic and still balance out the roster. I'm one of the few that would keep Dragic instead. He clearly loves PHX and has shown that he can be a top-tier PG. And he doesn't have a history of injuries. (Am I the only one concerned about Bledsoe having 2 surgeries on the same knee at such a young age?)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Maybe the Suns don't want 2 max or near max PG's. Dragic is a FA next year and he's going to command a lot more than what he's making.

Signing Bledsoe almost guarantees that Dragic will be gone. Dragic is a little older but I'd rather keep him and balance out the roster instead of having 2 max / near max PG's.

I just don't buy it. Watching them play I really can't see the value in signing Bledsoe if you DON"T keep Dragic. I love Bledsoe but I don't see how you survive his weaknesses without a strong combo guard to support him. I don't think we came anywhere close to seeing what they could become together but we won at almost a 70% clip when the two were healthy. I'd have no concerns building around that pair even if it goes against logic and history. If the medical staff supports keeping him, IMO he's worth whatever it takes to keep him. The same goes with Goran.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add to the above, yes, I know you can keep Bledsoe over Dragic and still balance out the roster. I'm one of the few that would keep Dragic instead. He clearly loves PHX and has shown that he can be a top-tier PG. And he doesn't have a history of injuries. (Am I the only one concerned about Bledsoe having 2 surgeries on the same knee at such a young age?)

I agree with this. I want both of them but if I had to choose between the two, I take Dragic.

Steve

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Same excuses we heard with joe johnson. Who if the suns signed in summer of 2005, they would have certainly won at least 1 title