Should the Suns trade Ayton?

• Yes, trade him ASAP

• Maybe, depends on who is hired as coach

• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If your argument depends so much on availability, I'm not sure I can buy in. Both players have averaged roughly 60 games a season (OG leads by a hair). Ayton may be less injury prone, I wouldn't know, but availability is availability no matter what keeps them off the court AFAIC.
It's not just availability

There are far fewer good centers than there are wing players which means they are harder to replace.

1 for 1 you should keep the center every time in my opinion.

Also as I said before, I don't think big fat centers fit well in today's NBA, because there are so few of them. Yes you can argue Jokic and Embid are doing just fine - but they are so skilled on the perimeter and in the half court offense it works well enough. I would much rather have an Ayton who can actually switch on the perimeter and get back on defense as well as just about any Center in the game.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I look at it as getting the best trade return possible if the Suns decide to move on from Ayton. It appears they have. Without chemistry, stats can be meaningless.

Anunoby and Nukic is one of the better returns I have seen for Ayton. Also, I think Anunoby can play both forward positions, which provides some versatility.

It looks like they have. Shame because i thought he was was worth revisiting/saving under Vogel. But this might be Ayton's wish to move on as well, and JJ seems to respectfully accommodate.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like they have. Shame because i thought he was was worth revisiting/saving under Vogel. But this might be Ayton's wish to move on as well, and JJ seems to respectfully accommodate.

I think Ayton wants to move on or I would be clamoring to keep him.

The focus seems to be finding a trade that fits the needs of both.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can confirm there are talks but its just small talk and hasn't hit the serious discussion part yet.. someone leaked this information a little too early. I wanted to wait until the ball started roll before doing a germz spread.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can confirm there are talks but its just small talk and hasn't hit the serious discussion part yet.. someone leaked this information a little too early. I wanted to wait until the ball started roll before doing a germz spread.

Well done Germz. You were wise to wait, while others in the media jumped too early.

They must have felt the pressure of the new kid on the block.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The hang up is Anunoby is due an extension, one that will be substantial. If Ishbia wants to pay it, then so be it. We'd be much better equipped for when KD starts declining.

This would be as close to seeing the Suns with KD and Mikal in the frontcourt as we could get. OG is an All Defensive Team player who is young-ish. I know we lose Ayton but I don't really care that much about that side because we can't depend on Ayton playing to his potential. Nurkic is servicable when we need a Center on the floor but we could run small with 5 shooters, Booker, Beal, Gordon, OG, and KD. How on earth would our opposition defend that?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The hang up is Anunoby is due an extension, one that will be substantial. If Ishbia wants to pay it, then so be it. We'd be much better equipped for when KD starts declining.

This would be as close to seeing the Suns with KD and Mikal in the frontcourt as we could get. OG is an All Defensive Team player who is young-ish. I know we lose Ayton but I don't really care that much about that side because we can't depend on Ayton playing to his potential. Nurkic is servicable when we need a Center on the floor but we could run small with 5 shooters, Booker, Beal, Gordon, OG, and KD. How on earth would our opposition defend that?
I mean I understand what you are saying, and it would work against most teams.

But Vogel supposedly builds his defense around the center, and I'm not sure he would be willing to go small ball all the time.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns aren't getting OG. His value is higher than Ayton's and Gambo has already shot it down.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think Ayton wants to move on or I would be clamoring to keep him.

The focus seems to be finding a trade that fits the needs of both.
You still think that's the case with new ownership and coaching? Any particular reason?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns aren't getting OG. His value is higher than Ayton's and Gambo has already shot it down.

Of course Gambo rains on our parade. I felt like getting OG and Nurkic was a steal. Toronto can part with him because their frontcourt is deep with Barnes, Siakam, and Poetl but unless OG said he'd never report to Portland and Scoot specifically requested Ayton, I don't think we'd be able to swing it without picks.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You still think that's the case with new ownership and coaching? Any particular reason?

I can see where Mainstreet is coming from. Ayton will never be The Man here and he's been vocal about how Suns fans have treated him at times. So a fresh start is likely more than just ownership and coaching. A new place, new system, new role, new everything is probably for the best. Ayton will never be more than 3rd or 4th in the Suns pecking order.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I can see where Mainstreet is coming from. Ayton will never be The Man here and he's been vocal about how Suns fans have treated him at times. So a fresh start is likely more than just ownership and coaching. A new place, new system, new role, new everything is probably for the best. Ayton will never be more than 3rd or 4th in the Suns pecking order.
If it's about him wanting to be "the man" then good riddance. This is his best shot at a title. That should be his goal. The accolades will follow.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course Gambo rains on our parade. I felt like getting OG and Nurkic was a steal. Toronto can part with him because their frontcourt is deep with Barnes, Siakam, and Poetl but unless OG said he'd never report to Portland and Scoot specifically requested Ayton, I don't think we'd be able to swing it without picks.
I kinda thought OG/Nurkic was a good deal for us too.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is such garbage. I know Toronto has been asking for a ridiculous return for him - but that is not his value, which is why they were never able to make a deal.

You will never convince me his value should be higher than Ayton. And as far as I am concerned Nurkic has negligible value at best.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

He's so good at it that it won't be long before his posts start influencing posting elsewhere, if it hasn't happened already.
Wellll... Flex just posted this tweet:

"My insider sources tell me there are talks but its just small talk and hasn't hit the serious discussion part yet.. someone leaked this information a little too early."

Sooooo....

;) :D

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wellll... Flex just posted this tweet:

"My insider sources tell me there are talks but its just small talk and hasn't hit the serious discussion part yet.. someone leaked this information a little too early."

Sooooo....

;) :D

Wow, Flex's insider source is Germz!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson