• Yes, trade him ASAP

• Maybe, depends on who is hired as coach

• No, let's see what he can do without Monty

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people change their tune on whether Ayton should be traded this off-season now that the Suns will have a new coach, and system, next season. That's totally understandable but if the Suns wait and he doesn't show up ready to go, his value will shrink even more as it won't look like he was misused so much as he doesn't care. Of course he could finally look like a legit #2 or #3 also, no one knows for sure despite having watched him for 5 seasons now.

Like it or not, Ayton is the most tradable asset the Suns have right now and to improve the team as a whole, he's the most movable piece. This isn't a question of whether they should waive him, it's should they trade him as in find the best return possible for him and move on. Assuming of course his trade value isn't a negative. No one is saying the Suns should take a step back or settle for garbage. Should they part ways and move forward without him?

Feel free to explain your choice. Personally, I'm done and was done when he was announced as out for game 6. Although I was pretty close to done when he avoided the media after game 3 when Jock outplayed him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I say maybe, but not just based on who is hired, but also what deals are available for him. If there are no decent deals out there than it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade him if we can at least see what happens with a different coach first.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Even though DA is still young but he's acquired too many bad habits, so that it'd take at least 2 years to get rid. But then our window with KD is gone. So, trade him ASAP.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe. Don't just send him packing to get rid of him in desperation. If we cant convert DA into a decent package It may be worth it to hang with him until the other teams get desperate or the new coach figures out a way to light a fire.

On an emotional level I just don't think I can care anymore. I've been a huge DA supporter but I'm over it.
If he stays he needs to win me back with stellar play and noticeable improvements not gaudy tattoos, expensive chains and moronic slogans that a 5yr old would come up with.
Put your head down and WORK! Its time to be a man.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think you have to wait and see what the new coach wants. If he can light a fire under him, sticking with him may be the best option.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i think we should trade him. I don't feel he works well with Booker who will certainly remain on the team. He will do better with a whole new team that already has a system in place.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't think it matters whether or not Ayton would do better with a different coach. This roster is so top-heavy with no available salary or picks to properly fill out the roster. Ayton and CP3 are the two pieces they have that have to be used to get some depth behind KD and Booker. I just don't see a way you get a good roster without trading Ayton for two rotation players.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Williams used to call on his players, including Ayton, to "play with force." I've almost never seen Ayton do that in a Suns uniform. Even in his good games, he's a finesse player; he'll always prefer a fadeaway hook to a dunk. I think he is coachable, even by Williams: He was asked to be a lot more verstatile defensively than he was in college, and he dutifully sets his screens 20 feet from the basket on the offensive end. But when he has to rely on his instincts to complete a play, they aren't there. He was never challenged physically until he got to the NBA, and now that he is, he doesn't know how to respond. I don't think that's fixable.

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t think they should trade him but think he needs a fresh start.

In game 6 Jokic toyed with Landale and Biyombo….floaters, easy drives, little bunnies. Others had free drives to the hoop. DA May not be the best mover but he takes up much more space.

On offense, put him closer to the basket instead of setting screens 25-30 feet from it, he’ll get you 20 and 12.

Both are hard to replace.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Maybe. Don't just send him packing to get rid of him in desperation. If we cant convert DA into a decent package It may be worth it to hang with him until the other teams get desperate or the new coach figures out a way to light a fire.

On an emotional level I just don't think I can care anymore. I've been a huge DA supporter but I'm over it.
If he stays he needs to win me back with stellar play and noticeable improvements not gaudy tattoos, expensive chains and moronic slogans that a 5yr old would come up with.
Put your head down and WORK! Its time to be a man.
Oh boy, Ayton has driven Muggz to type serious, fully coherent, content. The end is nigh…

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
His potential value drop is minuscule at this point. Seeing what he can do to start the season with a new staff/system, far outweighs the risk of minor value shrinkage.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes.. only cause I feel like he is clueless or lies to himself.. but this is just my opinion.. if I disrespect any members with my opinion I am sorry..

His comments about shaq kobe 2.0.. proving people wrong.. his performance shuts up the peanut gallery.. Dominayton.. etc..

I know this is not the same thing. In the Marines I was coaching people how to shoot. Most people who don’t improve gives me the same answer. The firearm went bang when they were aimed dead center on the target. They didn’t flinch, jerk and close their eyes. Everything they were doing was right.

That is like what he is doing. Ayton seems to think his efforts and his play is already the best he is putting out there. He is on cruise control and thinks thats putting forth more effort. People always say they can get better but never put forth the effort to improve. He won’t get better/improve with the mindset he has now. I seen people who tries and puts forth the effort.. those you can work with.. then you have some who just says it and does little but think thats effort just to go through it.

If someone has to challenge him over and over to get the best out of him then his mindset is just not there. He should be self motivated to go out and destroy people. If money is the motivation then he has hit his playing ceiling cause he has his max contract.

It seems he has already limited himself unless someone can really convince himself he has more.

Maybe we can get what we can in a trade. Someone out there might think they can turn him around. Just seems we can’t do that here. We gave him a max. Its tough to have someone who makes less than you and not as famous try to tell you what to do.

My rant is over.. sorry if I came off as someone complaining.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would do that in a heart beat but what do we do with CP3?

I'm not sure if trading Ayton for Kyrie would work because adding players may not be permissible under the new CBA. There is now a hard cap to worry about.

Maybe the Suns waive Chris Paul and save some money unless there is a trade partner.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Those people as in fans or the organization?
Fans and dfw media. I think media have said that the Dallas mavs organization does like ayton. But I don’t know if that’s just media hype. I think it has a lot to do with how ayton would fill a void there and fit with doncic.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Absolutely. Him and the corpse of Paul are the only tradeable assets to get better. If the Suns could bring in a credible center and fill holes elsewhere, I don't see a problem moving Ayton.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Probably for Kyrie?
Yeah idk how that would work. Maybe some type of sign and trade since the mavs have some type of negotiating rights with kyrie and can some him to a larger contract than other teams can? I’ve heard that the mavs want to keep kyrie but who knows if he wants to stay there long term. I imagine he wants to play with lebron. But it’s tough to know what Irving’s actual plans are.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He doesn’t want to be in Phoenix and I’m not confident that a new coach is going to fix that. Get what you can and move on

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it matters whether or not Ayton would do better with a different coach. This roster is so top-heavy with no available salary or picks to properly fill out the roster. Ayton and CP3 are the two pieces they have that have to be used to get some depth behind KD and Booker. I just don't see a way you get a good roster without trading Ayton for two rotation players.
I agree but I lean towards keeping him because I don't think anyone is going to give us two decent rotation pieces for a player who is grossly overpaid. If I'm wrong and we can fill out our roster by replacing him, great. I just don't know how many Isiah Thomas-like geniuses there are out there making decisions. I know it only takes one confused believer but most teams shy away from giving up value for someone with 3 years left on an upside down contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people change their tune on whether Ayton should be traded this off-season now that the Suns will have a new coach, and system, next season. That's totally understandable but if the Suns wait and he doesn't show up ready to go, his value will shrink even more as it won't look like he was misused so much as he doesn't care. Of course he could finally look like a legit #2 or #3 also, no one knows for sure despite having watched him for 5 seasons now.

Like it or not, Ayton is the most tradable asset the Suns have right now and to improve the team as a whole, he's the most movable piece. This isn't a question of whether they should waive him, it's should they trade him as in find the best return possible for him and move on. Assuming of course his trade value isn't a negative. No one is saying the Suns should take a step back or settle for garbage. Should they part ways and move forward without him?

Feel free to explain your choice. Personally, I'm done and was done when he was announced as out for game 6. Although I was pretty close to done when he avoided the media after game 3 when Jock outplayed him.
You didn't offer a "trade him if you can get a decent return" option which would be my preference. So I'll have to vote to keep him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose