Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12.5% more work
5.7% more pay
The overtime rate is the same, which is a factor since I could do the same amount of work (with and without the promotion) and get paid more at the lower level.

If I do take the promotion I'm one year from being able to work one day per week/OT at home and two years from being able to work FT at home.

I need to decide today.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your pay is increasing, why is the OT pay not increasing? Do you often work more than 40+ hours per week?

Depending on how much you work, this could be huge.

OP
OP
N

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:yeahthat:

Out of curiosity, how did you figure out 12.5% more work? Just a 1/8 kind of guess, or was there some calculations you did?

Not like these calculations will have any meaning for you:
.9/.8=1.125->12.5% increase.

OP
OP
N

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your pay is increasing, why is the OT pay not increasing? Do you often work more than 40+ hours per week?

Depending on how much you work, this could be huge.

My overtime is capped by federal regulations up until a certain point. I get the greater of 36.44/hr and my base rate. Even with the promotion my base rate would still be lower than 36.44.

Last edited:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not like these calculations will have any meaning for you:
.9/.8=1.125->12.5% increase.
I figured you had some sort of math you used. A "rough rounding" just doesn't seem to be your style ;)

OP
OP
N

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you often work more than 40+ hours per week?
I can work OT whenever. Right now I'm limited to 10 hours. At some point that'll be raised to 20. The real issue is the amount of work, as if I get my work done I can sit in my office and sleep and claim that as overtime/comptime.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happens if you stay in the same position? How soon will you be able to be promoted again? How big of a step is this promotion from your current position? How far can you be promoted after this promotion? (if you decide to take it)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12.5% more work
5.7% more pay
The overtime rate is the same, which is a factor since I could do the same amount of work (with and without the promotion) and get paid more at the lower level.

If I do take the promotion I'm one year from being able to work one day per week/OT at home and two years from being able to work FT at home.

I need to decide today.

Which is better for your personal life and which better suits your long-term goals? Are those two things at odds with the new job or the current job?

I try to make decisions based on this priority order:

1. Faith
2. Family
3. Country
4. College football

I've sacrificed No. 4 before, but I work hard to line it up as often as possible. ;)

OP
OP
N

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happens if you stay in the same position? How soon will you be able to be promoted again? How big of a step is this promotion from your current position? How far can you be promoted after this promotion? (if you decide to take it)
Excluding my recruitment bonus (3 more years at 8650) and other bonuses (3-9% of base)
Base salary/OT rate only
Now 68471/36.44
Promotion 72404/36.44
Edit: 78072/37.53
(one day/week at home) Three promotions 87036/41.84
(FT at home) Four promotions 102850/49.44
Five promotions 120982/58.16

You can get promoted every year. All promotions are noncompetitive except for the last one. Overtime is a factor for me as I want to try to buy a house

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted wait, but because of the promotion scale you posted, I change my mind. Take it.

OP
OP
N

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The situation resolved itself. Apparently I had to say I had to explicitly say I didn't want to get promoted (which I never did). So I got promoted. I relocate to another building next week with a new supervisor. It's much closer to the parking garage but has no windows.

BTW, does anyone have a guess as to what my job is (other than people who know already)?

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
The situation resolved itself. Apparently I had to say I had to explicitly say I didn't want to get promoted (which I never did). So I got promoted. I relocate to another building next week with a new supervisor. It's much closer to the parking garage but has no windows.

BTW, does anyone have a guess as to what my job is (other than people who know already)?
Congrats and no...I assume that you are some sort of adult movie actor and didn't want to ask to many questions

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Any job where you get promoted without showing any interest at all is either a goverment job or a .com job

OP
OP
N

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any job where you get promoted without showing any interest at all is either a goverment job or a .com job

Correct answer. Although for the most part this place is no joke as people get fired all the time.

OP
OP
N

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Met my new supervisor today. Based on unsubstantiated rumors I was expecting the worst. However after meeting him I feel a lot better. A couple of people in my AU said I'm really lucky.

The real po$itive is that I'm now eligible to work 32 hours of overtime per biweek.

OP
OP
N

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting promoted again effective 9/15/2008.

This time I get 7.9% more pay for 11.1% more work (plus $1.14/hr more for OT for a total of $39.23/hr).

At my new level I'll immediately be allowed to work from home one day per week. This job is really easy for me so my work at home day will likely consist of me watching TV (I only work four days/week right now as it is). In February I'll be eligible to work at home full time. If pending legislation passes the Senate I could move back to AZ without too much trouble.

This job is easy enough for me that it's melting my brain. The highest I'd ever make here is $150k, whereas the lawyers I argue with make somewhere in the $135-250k range. I could jump ship to a law firm and get law school paid for, but I'd expect them to work me to death.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting promoted again effective 9/15/2008.

This time I get 7.9% more pay for 11.1% more work (plus $1.14/hr more for OT for a total of $39.23/hr).

At my new level I'll immediately be allowed to work from home one day per week. This job is really easy for me so my work at home day will likely consist of me watching TV (I only work four days/week right now as it is). In February I'll be eligible to work at home full time. If pending legislation passes the Senate I could move back to AZ without too much trouble.

This job is easy enough for me that it's melting my brain. The highest I'd ever make here is $150k, whereas the lawyers I argue with make somewhere in the $135-250k range. I could jump ship to a law firm and get law school paid for, but I'd expect them to work me to death.
Can you get me a job?