Shea...

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
Id love to see the clutch hitting we have heard so much about. How many runners has he left on base in his 2 and a half games here?

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
Give him a week to settle in. Once he starts to get going, everyone will see what they traded for.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by Matrix31
Id love to see the clutch hitting we have heard so much about. How many runners has he left on base in his 2 and a half games here?
Lousy thing to emphasize about a new player. Setting up expectations that can't be filled.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Would you rather have Matt "GIDP" Williams back?

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
He scored the winning run

He started out the ninth with a single and scored the winning run. Way to go Shea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score

Gee whiz. Patience, my brother.

2 1/2 games. You crack me up.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Granted, Shea's 2 for 11 start isn't great, but does anyone think Matty would have been able to get a hit off of Gordon, let alone any RH pitcher? Hillenbrand took third on Overbay's single in the 9th, and there is NO WAY Williams could have pulled that off.

I think he will do okay once he acclimates himself with the club.

OP
OP
M

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
I was being sarcastic. I know what kind of player we got. WE got an average hitter with very little patience at the plate with a below average glove. He was put in a position to succeed in Boston with runners constantly on infront of him. Hes a career .260 hitter after April and thats what i expect to see here. I would rather have Shea then Matty, but i would rather have BK and Matty then Shea. Hes just not much above average.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Matrix31
I was being sarcastic. I know what kind of player we got. WE got an average hitter with very little patience at the plate with a below average glove. He was put in a position to succeed in Boston with runners constantly on infront of him. Hes a career .260 hitter after April and thats what i expect to see here. I would rather have Shea then Matty, but i would rather have BK and Matty then Shea. Hes just not much above average.

Will you publicly admit you are wrong if his performance is better than your statement of average?

OP
OP
M

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
I will definately. I admit, im a big Kim fan and was sorry to see him go. Hes young and shown he can be very good out of the bullpen, and has done well as a starter. I just dont see a lot in Hillenbrand. He is going to be 28, his OBP and OPS are below what you want and his fielding isnt that good. It looks like a trade made out of desperation which never work out well, especially when Garagiola makes them. I wish they would have talked to our scouts (namely Rizzo) as from the draft today they seem to think that OPS and OBP are very important.

However, i will admit this was a good trade for THIS YEAR if we make the playoffs. Hillenbrand doesnt even have to play well. Heck, if he hits .150 but we make the playoffs the argument can be made that management showed the team that they really wanted to win and it lit a fire under them. With Tracy and Barden in the minors and drafting 2 3rd basemen in the first three rounds (although 1 or maybe both will probably be moved to 1b or one of the corner OF) i doubt the Dbacks see Hillenbrand as their future thirdbasemen.

OP
OP
M

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
well, 2 hits 3 RBI tonight with RISP and 2 outs. Very nice. I can see why a lot of people said he would hit more homeruns here. That was a line shot tonight that would of been off the wall in Fenway. Good to see, i hope he can keep it going

AZZenny

Reaction score
For what it's worth, on radio today Curt said that Kim made it very clear he wanted out, that he did not want to pitch here anymore. Given that a trade of Kim was apparently a foregone conclusion, knowing that Joe Jr did inquire about others (Lowell for sure) and seeing Hilly hitting tonight and maybe shaking up our hitters - I'm increasingly OK with this trade. Yeah - Kim COULD become a superstar and Hillenbrand won't - but if Kim wasn't willing to stay here, what difference does that make?

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
I like how Hillenbrand always takes hard cuts at the ball. Reminds me of Greg Colbrunn that way. I think the guy is a solid addition, but more of a role player than a star. Kim, on the other hand, could be a #2 starting pitcher in a MLB rotation. Those guys are hard to find, and not worth what they got in return.

Metal Militia

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by RLakin
I like how Hillenbrand always takes hard cuts at the ball. Reminds me of Greg Colbrunn that way.

Dude...I thought that I was the only one who noticed Colbrunn like that. I have never seen him not hit the ball hard. Good observation my friend!

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZZenny
For what it's worth, on radio today Curt said that Kim made it very clear he wanted out, that he did not want to pitch here anymore. ...
Adjusting to trade isn't hard when Shea is playing as he has the past few days, and if Curt's statements are true, then it appears the trade is working for both sides...

Comparing our current third sacker to what we've been accustomed to.... I'll take line drives ANY day over pop ups!

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZZenny
For what it's worth, on radio today Curt said that Kim made it very clear he wanted out, that he did not want to pitch here anymore.

If BK wanted out of here that much, then this trade was much better than I thought - still not quite the value (IMHO) for BK, but good for both teams, especially watching Shea drill the ball last night.