SF cuts ex-Card DE Johnson

dmoney

Registered
Reaction score
Needing depth on the offensive line, the 49ers re-signed Dwyane Ledford Tuesday afternoon. In order to make room for the versatile offensive lineman, the team released defensive end Dennis Johnson.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dmoney said:
Needing depth on the offensive line, the 49ers re-signed Dwyane Ledford Tuesday afternoon. In order to make room for the versatile offensive lineman, the team released defensive end Dennis Johnson.

does anyone know how many guys we cut are even on pro football teams - I mean we cut starters from last year that people were up in arms about and most of them aren't even in the league right now.

Do you guys realize our opening day starters on offense at WR were Bryan Gilmore and sheesh - I don't evenm remember the scrub who started that we got from the Lions - something Foster maybe?

Dennis Johnson is dog meat - plain and simple.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
We were a bad, bad football team. :thumbdown

There aren't words in the english dictionary to describe how bad we were last season. To think some people don't believe we have improved at all :doi:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
We were a bad, bad football team. :thumbdown

Sure, what are you going to say when Preston Parsons is firing TD after TD to Steve Bush somewhere else?

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
there are a few that got away...

Darwin Walker, Thomas Jones & Garrison Hearst have done well for other teams. I'm sure there are others that we've let go and have gone on to contribute for other teams but I'm getting depressed thinking about it.

BTW, I was not a Thomas Jones supporter while he was here. However, he is doing quite well in Chi-Town.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Cardsmasochist said:
Darwin Walker, Thomas Jones & Garrison Hearst have done well for other teams. I'm sure there are others that we've let go and have gone on to contribute for other teams but I'm getting depressed thinking about it.

BTW, I was not a Thomas Jones supporter while he was here. However, he is doing quite well in Chi-Town.

You might as well add Simeon "Armpit" Rice and Corey Chavous to the list.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
You might as well add Simeon "Armpit" Rice and Corey Chavous to the list.

yeah but neither of those guys were cut - they just simply ddidn't resign with us or for some reason we didn't want to resign them.

Cutting Hearst was a bad move by Buddy and Davie Mac's inability to ever get production out of TJ is gonna haunt us for years to come - he's gonna be another Hearst - but better. Good lord this offense would be better with him in there.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
yeah but neither of those guys were cut - they just simply ddidn't resign with us or for some reason we didn't want to resign them.

Cutting Hearst was a bad move by Buddy and Davie Mac's inability to ever get production out of TJ is gonna haunt us for years to come - he's gonna be another Hearst - but better. Good lord this offense would be better with him in there.

Rice basically "Barkleyed" his way out of town by holding out twice on the franchise tag and then badmouthing the team and city in the press.

Chavous is kind of irritating. He thought he could be an elite CB. We refused to resign him at CB money, and wanted him to move to safety. He bolts to Minny because they will play him at corner. He starts a half season at CB, gets torched and gets benched. Later, he's pressed into service as a safety due to injury, and he's played well ever since! :hulk:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Hearst wasn't cut by Buddy he was cut by Tobin. That was one of many bad moves during that regime, my favorite being not re-signing Jamir Miller(our best defensive player aside from Aeneas during the playoff run) and choosing instead to franchise Rob Moore.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
Gruden in TB couldn't get Jones to be a good running back. does two good games in Chicago make him "haunting us for years". This is silly. Let's revisit this after the season and see if he is a pro bowler.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
And our #1 sack artist last season. We were a bad, bad football team. :thumbdown

Another example of a solid Cardinal day 1 draft pick. :rolleyes:

Two bads is not enough to descibe how pathetic this team was last year. Luckily we signed all those veterans who "knew how to win."

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
And our #1 sack artist last season. We were a bad, bad football team. :thumbdown
The scary part was that he was the guy working his butt off in practice. What does that say about the others ?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toro said:
Gruden in TB couldn't get Jones to be a good running back. does two good games in Chicago make him "haunting us for years". This is silly. Let's revisit this after the season and see if he is a pro bowler.

What the hell are you talking about :doi:

TJ was awesome in Tampa bay last year! Look at the stats!

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
I'm taking a wait and see approach with TJ. From the little I've seen of him with the Bears, he's running much harder with better forward lean than he ever did with us. He looks solid so far but it has taken 5 years with 3 different teams to get there. Not what one should expect from a number 7 overall pick. Plus, it's still early in the season and the guy has had durability issues in the past. Bottom line though is he didn't do it here and he probably never would have.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nidan said:
Why isn't he still there then, if he was awesome ?

Maybe because Jon Gruden was a bit clueless this offseason and had an abolsute distaer on the size of a Cardinal melt-down with personel decisions. I think it's pretty clear he had no clue considering his squad is even more pathetic than ours right now - AND THAT'S TWO YEARS REMOVED FROM THE SUPER BOWL!

TJ looked good at the end of last season and I and a lot of others thought he was gonna break out with the Bears once given the chance.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nidan said:
Why isn't he still there then, if he was awesome ?

Because John Gruden is an idiot!!

TJ should have never been allowed to leave this team. He was ahving a nice year in his last one here. He was awesome in Tampa last year when he played. He is so far spectacular in Chicago. I told everyone 2 months ago that he would rush for over 1300 yards and 10 Tds this year! Bank on it!

How much better would we look now if we didnt screw that up?

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if we make the asumption you are correct with TJ, why do you think he would have been successful here.

By all accounts he had a major attitude problem while here. He was also handed the starting job twice and lost it for dancing on the line.

Don't you think its possible that by getting cut his attitude might have improved. Its pretty common in most jobs. If you get canned by one firm, you can blame all your failures on them and start again.

It really helps in turning around a bad attitude.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Where are any of these guys from last year. Correct my list, but I don't think any of them are currently playing in the NFL. Some guys like Gramatica, Eason, Bush, etc. participated in training camp, but were cut.

1. Bill Gramatica
2. Nijrell Eason
3. Emmanuel McDaniel
4. Derrick Ransom
5. Jason Starkey
8. Teag Whiting
7. Marcus Bell
8. Barron Tanner
9. Steve Bush
10. Preston Parsons
11. Kendrick Rogers
12. Michael Young
13. Michael Banks
14. Jason McAddley
15. Jason Goss
16. Raleigh Roundtree
17. Damian Anderson
18. Steve Grace
19. Dennis Johnson
20. Kevin Kasper
21. Coby Rhinehart
22. Tony Wragge

I think the only guys from the Cardinals team last year that are playing for another team in the NFL are Jeff Blake, David Barrett, Pete Kendall, Chris Dishman, Bryan Gilmore, and now Justin Lucas.

Last edited:

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
Bush is out of a job? I figured he would stick in Green Bay. Oh well.