Sean Taylor????

chicards11

Registered
Reaction score
ok ok ok.... before I get lambasted with remarks about how cruel I am...hear me out!

Given that what happened to him was a tragedy......I still think that him being elected to the pro bowl is a damn joke.

Why....why take a roster spot away from someone more deserving?

If you take away all the conspiracy stuff surrounding Tillman and just focus on the initial attention.....It seems like taylor is getting more respect/rememberance?!

I dunno...just pisses me off to see some guy get honored because his punk drug dealer friend picked him off in the middle of the night. The world is cavin' in...!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn't killed by a punk drug dealer friend.

He was elected to the probowl by fans, players and coaches. He was the best at his position.

That's the way it goes.

At least you put this thread in the right location.

OP
OP
chicards11

chicards11

Registered
Reaction score
He wasn't killed by a punk drug dealer friend.

He was elected to the probowl by fans, players and coaches. He was the best at his position.

That's the way it goes.

At least you put this thread in the right location.

I don't think he was the best at his position because HE DIDNT FINISH THE SEASON...geeez.

I guess this concept is just too hard to grasp.....

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he was the best at his position because HE DIDNT FINISH THE SEASON...geeez.

I guess this concept is just too hard to grasp.....

None of the players voted in have finished the season. GEEEZ. There are still two games left.

Big freaking whoop. So an alternate goes instead. A good portion of the guys will not go anyway.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Sean Taylor being voted in as a starter will not keep another player out.

Since he cannot play, his spot will go to the next leading vote getter. It's a show of respect by the fans, it won't hurt anyone or keep anyone out. What do you think they're going to do? Start 10 guys in the pro bowl cause Taylor can't play? :lol:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what chicards is saying.

If Sean Taylor were still alive - he doesn't make this year's Pro Bowl roster because of his injury.

If he had been healthy and playing on Sundays up until the time of his death it might make sense that he earned his spot on the squad.

Most of these pro sports "all-star" rosters are a joke. It's not always about "best player at the given position." It's usually a popularity contest.

In this case it definitely seems like Sean Taylor got the votes in remembrance - NOT for his performance on the field.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was leading the NFL in interceptions at the time of his death.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i can't believe i'm even going to respond to this

injured players make probowl rosters all the time

voting happens on a continual basis as well - people were voting on this while he was still alive and still performing as one of the top players in the NFC

Lots of players who get elected into the game opt out because they do not want to play or cannot play due to injuries

Many guys get elected who have had injuries throughout the season

This is nothing new - an alternate takes the place

Also he wasn't shot by a punk drug dealing friend - he was shot by someone trying to rob him - someone who's only previous engagement with him was that Taylor was trying to help him out, give him a job and teach him some responsibility. He died in part because he was giving back to his community.

Also the attention/remeberance isn't nearly as close to what tillman received on a national scope - it's more than darrent williams only be a little bit and I think that can be attributed to them getting a quick lead on the murder suspects which keeps the story in the news

way off base here

OP
OP
chicards11

chicards11

Registered
Reaction score
i can't believe i'm even going to respond to this

injured players make probowl rosters all the time

voting happens on a continual basis as well - people were voting on this while he was still alive and still performing as one of the top players in the NFC

Lots of players who get elected into the game opt out because they do not want to play or cannot play due to injuries

Many guys get elected who have had injuries throughout the season

This is nothing new - an alternate takes the place

Also he wasn't shot by a punk drug dealing friend - he was shot by someone trying to rob him - someone who's only previous engagement with him was that Taylor was trying to help him out, give him a job and teach him some responsibility. He died in part because he was giving back to his community.

Also the attention/remeberance isn't nearly as close to what tillman received on a national scope - it's more than darrent williams only be a little bit and I think that can be attributed to them getting a quick lead on the murder suspects which keeps the story in the news

way off base here

not way off base.

I am not disputing the fact that players can be replaced on the Pro Bowl roster..... I'm disputing the fact that he was on there in the FIRST PLACE.

For as tough as the NFL tries to be a conservative operation....they should be by-the-book on this too.

As far as ST helping kids in the neighborhood and all that other stuff.....that can/cannot be justified....at least anymore than my argument.

Stay off extremeskins.com, I think they are brainwashing you

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
never been there - far from a redskins fan and have no ties to DC

let's follow this nice and easy

Step One - when does pro bowl voting start?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
p.s. - the answer is a full month before he was killed - which means he was alive and playing for the majority of the voting timeline

Oct 15 voting opens - Nov 26th taylor shot - Dec 11 voting closes

He also was a pro bowler last year

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
p.s. - the answer is a full month before he was killed - which means he was alive and playing for the majority of the voting timeline

Type slower MO. It may help with the comprehension.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Type slower MO. It may help with the comprehension.

And with the facts...

Taylor was hurt early in the Nov. 11th game and never played again, so he was actually not alive and playing for the majority of the voting timeline.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW: I really don't care either way. I'm just saying I can see where chicards is coming from. That's all.

The voting is such a joke anyway.

Example:

10-4 Jags: No Pro-Bowlers
4-10 49ers: 2 Pro-Bowlers

:lame:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
it was still about 50% of the time then - it wasn't a season ending injury and the first week he missed against dallas the skins were torched in the passing game, especially deep throws to TO

adrian peterson missed games, fitz missed games - a lot of probowlers missed games

for the majority of the voting he was still drawing air and still playing like the best safety in the NFC

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
BTW: I really don't care either way. I'm just saying I can see where chicards is coming from. That's all.

Example:

I'm not saying it's perfect and that it's always the most deserving players - but Taylor was an elite player in the league and deserved to get voted in last year and would deserve it again this year

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score

Example:

Andy Lee and Patrick Willis are very deserving of their pro bowl selections. Without both the Niners might be winless right now.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Taylor was hurt early in the Nov. 11th game and never played again, so he was actually not alive and playing for the majority of the voting timeline.
But had played a majority of the season. At the time that Sean Taylor got shot he probably had enough votes at that time to make the Pro Bowl even if he didn't get another vote.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Example:

See, this is where I have a problem.. The pro bowl is for individuals to be recognized for individual play.. Not based on what their team accomplished in w-l's..

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, this is where I have a problem.. The pro bowl is for individuals to be recognized for individual play.. Not based on what their team accomplished in w-l's..

Too often that plays a part - look how many Patriots and Cowboys are going...

I wasn't basing it entirely on what the teams had accomplished. A major reason the Jags are 10-4 is Fred Taylor. He deserves to go to the Pro Bowl.

Update: Since Willie Parker broke his leg - Taylor is going to go.